Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   airport to Fisherman's Wharf hotel (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/airport-to-fishermans-wharf-hotel-447582/)

golfwidow Oct 21st, 2008 12:21 PM

airport to Fisherman's Wharf hotel

What would be the best way to get from SFO to a hotel in Fisherman's Wharf area? Any recommendations on hotels? How is the Holiday Inn there? I was thinking of taking the BART to the Embarcadero Station, then what? either taxi to hotel or walk?? Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

DebInTN Oct 21st, 2008 01:16 PM

We have always taken one of the airport shuttles (vans) to and from any hotel we have stayed in, whether downtown or FW. Cost has always been around $15. Haven't been there in a couple of years, but should be less than $20 and they take you right to the door. Have never stayed at the Holiday Inn, but it's in a good (convenient) location and I know that it's a fairly popular place for people to stay. I just checked on TripAdvisor and it appears to get good reviews.

FainaAgain Oct 21st, 2008 01:47 PM

There are 3 ways to get to a hotel at FW:

1) BART and taxi or bus

2) door-to-door shuttle

3) taxi or limo

StuDudley Oct 21st, 2008 03:39 PM

"Best" way would be taxi - but that's also the most costly, unless there are 3 of you (approx).

Stu Dudley

mkdiebold Oct 21st, 2008 07:40 PM

Stu...does a taxi make better time than the BART? There will be 4 of us, so the cost of the taxi would be shared. I've heard that the taxi ride is often longer than the BART. We are staying at Hotel Whitcomb.
Thanks!

StuDudley Oct 22nd, 2008 07:30 AM

No way does it take longer than BART - unless there is a massive traffic jam. From the time I retrieve my bags, I'm usually in the taxi within 5 mins. Two weeks ago my taxi was a large van - which would hold 4 people with luggage. I suspect that by the time you get to BART, figure out how to purchase 4 tickets (not easy), wait for a train, then get to the City - it would be close to 1 hr. The BART travel time to the Embarcadero station from SFO is 33 minutes. With non commute traffic or on a weekend, a taxi to Union Sq is probably no more than 15-20 mins. This makes the total time 20 to 25 mins - plan on 30.

I don't know where the Whitcomb is, but if it is not near a BART station - then you probably need to take the short walk to the Hyatt Hotel near the Embarcadero station & take a taxi to your hotel.

Stu Dudley

FainaAgain Oct 22nd, 2008 08:14 AM

Maybe I Googled the wrong Whitcomb? The one I got is on Market St by Civic Center BART. Iffy area at night. To take BART there is easy, maybe for 4 people with lots of luggage taxi will make sence? Your call.

yk Oct 22nd, 2008 09:06 AM

Faina - You aren't going crazy.

The OP, golfwidow, is planning to stay at FW.

Then there is mkdiebold, who is staying at the Whitcomb.

I don't think golfwidow and mkdiebold are taking the trip together. :)

FainaAgain Oct 22nd, 2008 09:21 AM

:) Thank you YK for not questioning my sanity... if only Kal would read this message! Sigh...

AttyWSW Oct 22nd, 2008 10:34 AM

I usually take the Airporter shuttle but once there a couple was taking a limo and either they or the limo driver asked if we wanted to split the cost for the same price as the airporter. I'm sure they would do that again as they want the business. It sure was cool to ride in the limo verses the van!

mkdiebold Oct 22nd, 2008 02:56 PM

Yes, FainaAgain and yk, the Whitcomb is on Market. We chose the Hotel partially for the BART station proximity. However, I'm certainly open to catching a cab and dividing the fare with our traveling companions, especially if it isn't outrageously expensive. Any idea how much it would cost? We arrive a week from today, a Wednesday. Not sure exactly the time, as we are merely turning in a rental car at SFO, then making our way SOMEHOW to Hotel Whitcomb. My guess is that it will be late afternoon. Rush hour traffic will definitely slow a taxi down, and increase the fee, right?