The Great Kauai Pancake Debate

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23rd, 2012, 10:16 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A Fodorite (who will go unnamed) posted that the best banana/macadamia pancakes on the island were NOT Kountry Kitchen – but were to be found on the other side of Kapa’a at Ono Family Restaurant. I knew it was my duty to take the task of comparing upon myself. (It was a sacrifice, but somebody had to do it ;-) )

I went with a wee bit of trepidation—and great anticipation—to taste these amazing pancakes. (I admit, I whimpered a bit as I drove past the line of people outside Kountry Kitchen.)

Ono was crowded and the waitresses and hostess seemed overwhelmed and disorganized. I waited thirty minutes for one of the two outside tables—that had been empty the entire time I waited.

But who cares? I was about to have the best pancakes on the island.

I ordered the a short stack of the “tropical” pancakes—described as a banana/macadamia nut batter topped with sliced bananas and coconut.

What did I think? They were “good”—not amazing; not OMG; not I’ve got to tell my friends about this and go back again and again … And sadly, for my taste, not even in the same league as Kountry Kitchen.

They were a different approach—and different people like different flavors and textures; some like vanilla—some prefer chocolate; some will vote for Romney—and some for Obama; and some people simply have no taste at all! ;-).

The massive Kountry Kitchen banana w/added mac pancakes are impossibly light, and the batter is redolent with bananas and macadamias. At times, I have thought they were among the best things that have ever been in my mouth!

The Ono Family Restaurant pancakes are 60% the size of KK’s (but that doesn’t matter because I ordered two, instead of one) and are chewier; heavier; more textured. The coconut was a nice touch. But I didn’t detect any bananas in the batter—and there was a mere smattering of macadamia nuts; not even half of what was included in the KK version.

For me, there’s no contest. Not even close. KK wins hands down.
Old Oct 24th, 2012, 08:40 AM

Oh come on. Name Names. lol
Old Oct 24th, 2012, 12:27 PM

Why not name names? If it was me, then I'm fine with you not liking them. Different strokes for different folks!! I also live Olympic Cafe, but my friend iamq had a terrible experience there We are still friends, but I won't take him to the oly cafe with me. Have you tried the pancakes at tip top cafe? Keep up the quest!!! Aloha
Old Oct 24th, 2012, 12:36 PM
Original Poster

<Why not name names?>

Because I can't the post where someone said they preferred Ono & Tip Top!!!

But continuing on my quest I hope to check out Tip Top either this time or in January. (I've been there but didn't order the pancakes.)
Old Oct 24th, 2012, 01:47 PM

Heres the secret to good pancakes, IMOP. Do not use the lowfat buttermilk that most stores carry and market. Use the higher fat content, sometimes referred to as Bulgarian Style Buttermilk. This is a thicker and slightly different taste to it. I think it has more bacteria cultures in it as well-Perhaps like different yogurts do. Using the higher fat will result in fluffier lighter pancakes.

Now there is a billion different ways to top them. If you use fresh pineapple in anything, it can throw a recipe way off. Just try to get fresh pineapple to gel in Jello, for example. Kiwi has similar properties.
Old Oct 24th, 2012, 02:01 PM

iamq is not the only ones who dislikes the Olympic Cafe!
Old Oct 24th, 2012, 03:14 PM

My vote is for Kountry Kitchen too. (doesn't mean much though, cuz I haven't had pancakes anywhere else on the island)
Old Oct 24th, 2012, 04:40 PM
Kal

I wonderrrrrr if s'doc got the Haole Special MacNut Plate? :-?

Never been a big fan of either place but do love my Oly Cafe and the Bloody Marys.
Not to mention the HUGE fruit plates, salads and kalua pork.

My fave cooking is at some of my Local friend's houses. They have spolied us over the years.

Maybe I'll be the final judge in about 70ish more days?
Old Oct 24th, 2012, 04:50 PM

22tango - I was going to say exactly the same thing! (and even though they were out of macadamia nuts when we were there!)
Old Oct 24th, 2012, 04:56 PM

Kal, kal, kal.....we're talking pancakes here!!!!!!!
Old Oct 24th, 2012, 05:04 PM

I've never left the Olympic Cafe hungry (or thirsty), that's for sure.
Old Oct 24th, 2012, 05:16 PM

Why anyone would leave Hanalei for any reason (including pancakes) is beyond me.
Old Oct 24th, 2012, 07:40 PM

Um, at the risk of being booed off the stage, are there any pancake varieties that don't have macadamia nuts in them? I just don't care for them. Pineapple, coconut... bring 'em on, but those little nutty buggers do nothing for me. (Neither does coffee. But that's more for the rest of you, right?)
Old Oct 24th, 2012, 08:02 PM

I've always thought that the good ole regular no-fills pancakes at the Hanalei Wake Up were pretty damn good. That and a side of Porteguese sausage can keep one satisfied until lunch at Pat's Taqueria at noon.
Old Oct 24th, 2012, 08:09 PM

meant "no frills"...plenty o fills...
Old Oct 25th, 2012, 02:27 AM

WW, I say stay in Kapaa and walk next door to the Ono, down the street to The Oly and across the street to Kauai Pasta!!! Not to mention being almost next door to The Pono Market!! It's Ono at the Pono!!
Old Oct 25th, 2012, 04:26 AM

It's Finer in Hanaliner.
Old Oct 25th, 2012, 06:34 AM

But, you gotta leave your attituda at Bar-a-Cuda or they might be ruda to youda!!!!!
Old Oct 25th, 2012, 08:23 AM

I think I was the person that said I don't like KK. Never been a fan. Lot's of people are. Not going to talk stink about them, but will likely not return.

Now Oly Cafe I like. Their coffee can be awful or wonderful and much of the menu is mediocre, but I love sitting on either side of the restaurant and taking it all in from above. That iamq probably didn't know how to order. We've done well to order one pancake with added blueberries to the ban/mac and a couple of over easy eggs. Man oh man are those rooster eggs farm fresh!!! And oh so very yokey! I never knew they made a mean Bloody Mary. Bloody Mary's and breakfast usually mean food coma to me so I like to just eat the garnishes.

Truth be told, I have never once in all of my educational visits tried loco moco. It both scares me and intrigues me, but not enough to cross over and order it. Where oh where would one go to have the only loco moco of their life?
Old Oct 25th, 2012, 08:32 AM

Remember when Auntie Maria and pokeporkchop had the Loco Moco tasteoff in Honolulu? Don't remember which place won.

I don't do the loco moco, but DH does. I'm certain he has had them at Kalapaki Beach Hut and at Tip Top, but don't know about other places. However, he likes the non traditional one at Ono which has kalua pork over fried rice and the eggs with the gravy on the side which I don't remember him using.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -