Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Why is it whenever someone ask for driving times or directions...

Old May 5th, 2002, 07:24 AM
Notmapquest

someone hops on here and post check out mapquest or one of the other online map services? While these services are beneficial they are notorious for their unrealistic driving times and often out-of-the-way directions.

I believe what most people are looking for are real tips, not just how to get from point A to point B. Tips such as: stops along the way, times of day when traffic is heavier, alternate routes, etc.

They may not phrase it as such in their request, but look beyond possible newbie naiveté to the meaning of the question.

So, try to help and stop with the snide, "Have you tried Mapquest?"

Old May 5th, 2002, 08:03 AM
Connie

I agree. Mapquest suggests routes that no one uses and I find the timing to be off.

Old May 5th, 2002, 08:29 AM
Givebetterinfo

Most of the time, when people post a request for driving time, they post the bare-bones request. They say, "I am driving from SF to LA, how long will it take?" They don't indicate whether they want to go scenic, quick, or stay overnight. If I post that it took me four days, I'm being accurate. But certainly not helpful.

If people, indeed, want "real tips," it behooves them to say so. And a quick note to the effect that they know about, and have tried, mapquest, and want real-world information suited to their desires.

Old May 5th, 2002, 10:46 AM
Paul Rabe

While I agree online maps should not be the final answer about how far or how long it takes to get from Point A to Point B, it is definitely should be the FIRST. One way to assist people asking for help is to show them how to find info on their own; that way they will be able to get information faster and with less effort.

If someone states "Mapquest says the time to drive this route is XX hours, is that accurate?", our answer will be much more useful.

So I stick with my advice: check Mapquest (or other online guide) BEFORE you come here with a question.

Old May 5th, 2002, 11:51 AM
Stephanie P.

Why not try mapblast.com. I have never tried the quest thing.