Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Airport Lounges (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/airport-lounges-199596/)

Shalini Apr 15th, 2002 06:26 AM

Airport Lounges

Fellow Travellers,<BR><BR>Luxury airport lounges, normally restricted to general public, can be accessed by having a diner's club card or priority pass card or other such travel cards, or purchasing a business or first class ticket. <BR><BR>Do any of you know tips/trics to avoid paying fees for travel cards or purchasing a business class ticket & still be able to get access to the luxury airport lounges? <BR><BR>Any information would be greatly appreciated.<BR><BR>Shalini

x Apr 15th, 2002 06:34 AM

As someone who has paid to belong, how about you just pay the fee, slick. I pay the fee for an American Express Platinum to have the right to use these clubs when I fly their partner airlines. <BR><BR>You think the airlines are interested in continuing to run them if people like you just take what they want, instead of paying for what they want.<BR><BR>How about this, can anyone tell me how I can use Shalini's car. I don't want to pay for it, I just want to use it whnever I want. Any tricks and lies to help me steal this service is appreciated.

Anne Apr 15th, 2002 06:41 AM

Oh don't be so hard on Shalini. C'mon he/she probably wants to use it one time and does not want to pay for something used so infrequently. This is a forum to share ides, etc...<BR>After saying that though, I agree that the peolpe who do pay for this fair and square would get mad at those trying to get something for nothing.<BR>Perhaps you can inquire if there is a nominal fee for pay as you go type thing.

Janice Apr 15th, 2002 06:49 AM

I have an American Airlines Platinum Mastercard. The fee is $85 a year. Does this mean that I can use the Airport Lounges??? That's what I'm getting out of this post anyway...is this incorrect?

x Apr 15th, 2002 07:04 AM

Janice,<BR>Are you sure you have a Platinum card? The fee is much higher than that, about $350 to $375. Although, the fee for a second card is much lower, perhaps that it what you have.<BR><BR>If you have the regular Platinum Card, not the Optima card, there are partner airlines that allow you to use their club if you are flying their airline. I believe that Continental, Northwest and US Air participate. Check the Platinum benefits page on Amex's website.<BR><BR>

x Apr 15th, 2002 07:05 AM

Janice, just reread your post. I was refering to the American Express Platinum card. Not American Airlines which you mentioned.

gail Apr 15th, 2002 07:19 AM

I am a prime bargain shopper, etc. and have no problem with anyone finding a cheaper way to do something, as long as it is legitimate and not taking advantage of those who pay their share. We pay $275/yr for one airline's lounge for my husband and he finds it quite useful for flight changes, quiet place to work, etc. I agree with poster who said those that pay will get ticked off if you sneak in for free. Many airlines will give you a one-day pass or sell you one for cheap if you say you want to check out the lounge for future purchase. Those with mega frequent flier miles get one or 2 free passes per year that they can use or give away. And yes, it is possible to smile and just go in - my husband says often no one actually checks for membership cards. But I personally think that is kind of sleazy - so I hope you try one of the other ways to gain entry.

Dick Apr 15th, 2002 09:15 AM

We were able to use frequent flyer awards for free first class international travel.<BR><BR>The first class international travel lounge makes the airlines clubs look like a Days Inn.

Robert Apr 15th, 2002 09:28 AM

Single day passes go for upwards of $50 at most airlines.<BR>I pay for an AmEx Platinum card and reduced rate FC tickets when flying overseas and one of the major perks is the use of the international lounges. After 24 hours in airports and on planes, a private steaming shower and place to shave, change clothes etc is so well worth it.<BR>Can then arrive at destination feeling fresh and ready to go.<BR><BR>I find lurkers and sneaks in the lounge you can bet I'll get them tossed. They get pretty crowded with legitimate users as is.

topper Apr 26th, 2002 09:47 AM

ttt

Jim Apr 26th, 2002 09:55 AM

I don't know if there still doing it, but Travelocity was offering one day passes for some airlines (American, US Air) if you bought tickets through them and joined their premier membership, which I think was about $85/year.

Dave Apr 26th, 2002 11:59 AM

If you check the Amex site, you will find that with the Platinum Card the free passes to the lounges are offered by Northwest and Continental, in US and foreign countries, and certain other foreign lounges.<BR><BR>A business class ticket by itself will not always get you into the lounges (eg., Northwest). Check with your airline.

Jim Rosenberg Apr 26th, 2002 12:46 PM

You can check out the membership fees for Northwest World Clubs at:<BR><BR>http://www.nwa.com/services/bustrav/worldclubs/fees.shtml<BR><BR>It's not necessarily cheap, but it can be a good value if you fly a lot. I always figure that a layover in an airport of more than an hour generally costs at least $10 per person, just based on experience. With the club, the cost is gone, since there are snacks and beverages. It's a nice ammenity for family or friends that I happen to be traveling with (I can take two guests). Northwest has more than 100 affiliated lounges worldwide and there are very few airports I've connected through where there was nothing available. The American Express Platinum card is another route that a person can go. For the record, membership cards are checked and numbers entered without fail in Northwest and its affiliated clubs in my experience -- so sneaking in would not be an option.

Statia Apr 26th, 2002 12:54 PM

Gail:<BR><BR>I want to know which airlines lets you use their club for $275 a year? Maybe I'll start flying them. American charges us $700 per year to use it's Admiral's Club, and the price just seems to go up year, after year, after year, after year.<BR><BR>

gail Apr 26th, 2002 03:21 PM

In reply to Statia - US Airways - that fee includes a discount for being one of the upper level of frequent flyers (sorry, don't know what that level is called since he is off on a trip somewhere as I write and can't ask him).

Statia Apr 26th, 2002 04:58 PM

Thanks Gail. Too bad American is our main carrier from here. US Air DOES fly out of my main hub, but not very frequently.<BR><BR>Trust me.....you are getting a darned good deal at $275 for a two person membership. I really enjoy the American Admiral's Club, but the price increase for couples year afer year is getting aggravating.<BR><BR>I also don't think that American gives a better rate to it's elite fliers, but I could be wrong on that. I just don't recall seeing in the renewal documentation.<BR>

pca Apr 26th, 2002 05:11 PM

Statia, since you say "we" I'm assuming that you're talking about two people, but the $275 for United was for one person. American's base rate is $450 for one person, and $700 for two, but it's less for renewals and for elite fliers. For a single platinum-level flyer it's only something like $250. Check out their web page and see if you can get yourself a cheaper rate.

Statia Apr 26th, 2002 06:13 PM

PCA:<BR><BR>Unfortunately, it's not less for renewals. My spouse and I were members for quite a number of years and the last renewal statement we got was for $700 for the two of us. That's when I finally said enough is enough and didn't renew it. It had gone up about $100 each year for the past three years.<BR><BR>Even if you look at the difference for the base rate for one person on American vs. United, you're talking a difference of $175. Not necessarily something to cough at, in my opinion. That's a round trip ticket to "somewhere."<BR><BR>I think that American just socks it to us a bit more than other airlines. Oh well...that's the breaks, right? It's my problem for living somewhere that American is just about the only airline I can use.<BR><BR>Thanks for the advice, though.<BR><BR>

gails Apr 26th, 2002 10:19 PM

$275 is for a 1-person membership - I never said a 2 person membership and am sorry if my syntax implied that.

Statia Apr 27th, 2002 08:43 AM

Gail:<BR><BR>I just assumed that since you said "we," you both had a membership (my mistake). But, as I said in my previous post to PCA, even at $275 for one person, it's still a better deal than American's membership at $450 for one person.<BR><BR>Oh well, that's the way it goes.