Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Airport in White Plains, New York (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/airport-in-white-plains-new-york-304045/)

aranda Feb 13th, 2008 10:25 AM

Airport in White Plains, New York

Does anyone have any experiences and tips they can share with me on flying from the airport in White Plains, New York? I have never used that airport previously and I am considering it as an alternative to the large NYC airports and Newark, New Jersey. I am considering using Jet Blue or AirTram.

Thanks for any help you can share.

Happy trails,
Aranda

gail Feb 13th, 2008 10:43 AM

There is nothing special about it as small airports go. I have no idea of your final destination, but factor in cost, time and aggravation in getting there from White Plains, which is in mileage close to NYC but not always a quick trip.

ellenem Feb 13th, 2008 10:52 AM

We can only advise on its convenience if we know your final destination. If you are headed to Manhattan, you can hire a private car service or use public transport.

By public transport, there's a bus that operates from around 6:30AM until about 9:30PM that connects to the White Plains MetroNorth train station. I wouldn't call this a snap, but it's certainly easier than flying into Islip. Here's the link at the airport web site

http://www.whiteplainsairport.com/pa...ortation.shtml

Aduchamp1 Feb 13th, 2008 10:54 AM

MetroNorth will take you into Grand Central Station.

If you have the time and the temprament it can be done.

Loki Feb 13th, 2008 11:02 AM

Parking is limited and expensive (>$20/day). I only use it when I can be dropped off, moreso because of the lack of parking rather than the cost. The sitting area is typically packed during peak times. With that said, it's very convenient for me to get to and very quick to check in and clear security.

lisettemac Feb 13th, 2008 01:29 PM

I agree that it's nothing special as far as small airports go. Small waiting area. There is a little coffee shop upstairs -- nothing special, but it's something to do.

I will say that the one downside to me of using HPN is that if your flight gets delayed or cancelled, there are fewer options. This has happened to me twice. If I were at LGA or JFK, there would be multiple additional flights to my destination on which you could be rebooked. Instead, I ended up going back home (it's close for me) and coming back to the airport hours later.

HowardR Feb 13th, 2008 01:47 PM

lisettemac cited the biggest potential problem with using the White Plains airport. If your flight is cancelled or seriously delayed, you have no alternatives at the airport. Otherwise, for us Wsetchester folks, it's damned convenient.

emcash Feb 13th, 2008 02:43 PM

the website makes it sound like there is extremely limited parking. Is there parking if you're willing to pay or is it a real risk to bring your car? are there any "park, ride and fly" places?

HowardR Feb 13th, 2008 02:48 PM

While parking is somewhat limited, except for peak travel times, you can usually find a space at the airport. I've flown from there many times and I've never been shut out.
As previously stated, it's not cheap.

nina Feb 13th, 2008 02:51 PM

It's a real risk to bring your car. I love flying from there (it's 20 minutes away from me), but I have to be dropped off. They never seem to have any spaces left in their little lot. They've added lots of flights and never increased the parking.

If you drive yourself you are in serious danger of being turned away and missing your flight.

I don't know why they don't implement some off-site parking, it's a real problem at that airport.

emcash Feb 13th, 2008 02:59 PM

Thanks- after reading that on their website, we decided to take a car service. Didn't want to, but you've convinced me it's a good idea!

nina Feb 13th, 2008 03:02 PM

Good idea, and even if you are lucky enough to get in to park, it is pricey...I usually only fly at peak times (local school vacations), so I can never get parking there.

It's a real shame, otherwise I love that airport, it's so convenient for me!

aranda Feb 13th, 2008 04:30 PM

Thanks everyone for the heads up on the White Plains airport.

My plans are to fly to Ft. Myers, Florida and I was seeking out an alternative to the NYC airports and Jersey.

I will need to bring my car as I will be traveling from upstate New York and therefore will need parking; so the fact of limited parking combined with the lack of alternative flights if cancelled at that airport are huge.

Based on your expert advise I think I will reconsider and use Newburgh, New York instead.

Thanks you all!
Aranda

DebitNM Feb 13th, 2008 04:58 PM

Stewart/Newburgh isn't any better in terms of having a number of flights to choose from should your flight get cancelled. It does have lots of parking [or it did when I used it many years ago and it was free then].

Can you fly out of Albany?

Southwest flies out of there to a couple of FL cities. There are more flights there than either White Plains or Stewart.

Deb

DebitNM Feb 13th, 2008 05:03 PM

Sorry, my info is old. Ignore me.
Deb