Airport check in time?

Old Dec 19th, 2001, 07:26 AM
Bill

Airport check in time?

Traveling for first time since 9/11 and am flying NY to LA Friday early morning,how much time should leave for check in ? Is the process still a pain? I usually showed up for domestic flights about 1.5 hours in advance.

Old Dec 19th, 2001, 07:35 AM
ryan

Bill,
I have flown several times out of Newark since then. While security took a bit more time, it wasn't significantly longer.

When I checked in I either used the curbside baggage check or the e-ticket machines.

You probably will be fine with an hour and a half. However, under the assumption that people will try and bring wrapped gifts through security and the normal holiday increase, it could be worse than my non-holiday experiences.

Merry Christmas!

Old Dec 19th, 2001, 07:57 AM
Owen O'Neill

I flew from Newark last Friday early AM. Arrived at the terminal at 6:30 for an 8:40 flight. We could have arrived as late as 7 AM and still had time to spare but your mileage may vary. I would suggest using curbside check in as it's faster (unless you already have priority check in status). Security gates were busy but heavily staffed. Women should expect to have to take off shoes or boots that have heels when passing throough the metal detectors. if you have carry on luggage with lots of small items, especially if some ore made of metal, expect the bag to be opened and inspected in detail. They were very thorough and items seemingly innocuous such as tweezers, disposable razors with fixed blades and cuticle scissors were NOT allowed. We checked all of our bags, even the small ones, and were through the gate in a total of less than ten minutes.

Old Dec 19th, 2001, 11:42 AM
fredonia

I've flown out of Newark twice since 9/11, and both times have gone from curb to gate, carrying on bags both times, in less than ten minutes. But to be safe, allow at least an hour.

Old Dec 19th, 2001, 08:17 PM
Bill

Well how about from JFK?

Old Dec 20th, 2001, 08:36 AM
rqf

Flew out of JFk on AA to San Juan two weeks ago. Curbside check in took less than 10 minutes. It took about 25 miniutes to get through the security screening.

Old Dec 20th, 2001, 09:27 AM
Jen

We departed JFK yesterday AM. Took a cab from Times Square and it only took 29 minutes at 5:30 AM. Since our flight wasn't until 8AM we decided to stand in line to check our luggage (could have and should have just done carry-on only because when we arrived home there were 8 American flights that landed at the same time with two carosels...a mess on this end). One of the three pieces of lugguage was randomly "selected" to exray at JFK...off to another section for that. The line on average at 6AM, I'd guess would take about 45 min. to check luggage. Be sure that you are in the domestic check-in line if that is your case. The international line for American was soooo long and it was not clear which line to stand in until someone from American came by. We then moved to domestic with about 20 others (putting us further back). Off to security check. It seemed to be a long line but it went quickly until two of the three of us were detained for further inspection (I seemed to clear everything). My daughter's video camera was dusted for something. Off to boarding. Our male teen friend was denied boarding until he went through another check and sent to the back of the boarding line. I just breezed in. It was almost time for take off and he was still not on the plane. Finally, he was the last on because they searched him again. Do we know why? No. Can we guess? No. He's just your average looking college guy (Harvard, in fact). With all that said, I have no complaints about any of the searches. Safe...I quess.

Old Dec 20th, 2001, 09:30 AM
Jen

I meant to say the cab ride was 20 minutes not 29, I'm not THAT detailed.

Old Dec 20th, 2001, 12:27 PM
Bill

Thanks again everybody.