Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Airport & Hyatt in Richmond, Virginia (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/airport-and-hyatt-in-richmond-virginia-351669/)

kolohegirl Aug 25th, 2003 02:28 PM

Airport & Hyatt in Richmond, Virginia

I need to travel to Richmond, Virginia in January. Do I have to fly into Dulles Airport? Or is there an airport in Richmond? If so, does anyone know the name of it or the airport code?
Also, I'd like to stay at a Hyatt since I have accumulated free nights with them. Searched the web and couldn't find any Hyatt's listed for this area. Can someone tell me where the closest Hyatt would be? Oh...one last thing. Is there a military base nearby? No, I'm not joking....it's a legit ? Tanks.

KandKmom Aug 25th, 2003 03:08 PM

There is an airport in Richmond, VA. The code is RIC. Richmond used to be fairly expensive to fly in and out of. You may do better flying into Dulles which is about 2 hours northwest. The Hyatt is listed under the Sheraton RIchmond West. It is 6624 West Broad Street. The number is 804-285-2000. The closest military base is Fort Lee in Petersburg, Va. Petersburg is about 45 minutes from Richmond. Hope this helps!

andy Aug 25th, 2003 03:35 PM

Personally, I woould skip flying into Dulles, as the traffic on I-95 S out of DC isa madhouse as there is tons of highway construction going on..

rb_travelerxATyahoo Aug 25th, 2003 04:38 PM

If you are considering driving all the way from Dulles to get to Richmond (RIC), and want to be near military bases, then why not fly into Williamsburg/NewportNews International (PHF?) or Norfolk (ORF)? You'll have LOTS of military bases near/at Norfolk, and quite a bit near WBg/NNs too (Langley AFB, FtEustis). PHF is maybe 60 mile from RIC, ORF maybe 80?

Don't know where you're flying from, but Airtran now serving WbgNNs, and Southwest serves ORF. Don't recall where I've seen Hyatts.

kolohegirl Aug 26th, 2003 12:15 AM

Thank you all so much. You've been very helpful. I would prefer to fly into RIC because someone will be picking me up and I'd hate to have him drive 2 hours just to get to Dulles airport. He's a marine at a military base about 40 to 45 minutes away from Richmond, which sounds like that would be Fort Lee. I'm coming from Hawaii. Thanks again for your help.

E Aug 26th, 2003 07:39 AM

Sounds like you have a plan...but if RIC doesn't work out, I agree that ORF would be a good second choice. Dulles is way too far way. PHF is an option, but in my experience, it's expensive and offers few flights to choose from. Have a great visit!

riazoo Aug 24th, 2005 07:01 PM

I have used Burki Limousine 804 240 5991 and they charge $185 from Dulles to Richmond. They get you to Richmond in 2 hours traffic or not!

OO Aug 25th, 2005 03:33 AM

There is no Hyatt in Richmond.

GoTravel Aug 25th, 2005 04:38 AM

Stay at the Commonwealth Park Suites.

It is reasonable, very charming, huge suites, across from the Governors Mansion, downtown, and a very short walk to the Shockoe Slip and Shockoe Bottom.

Birdie Aug 25th, 2005 09:53 AM

You friend may not be posted at Ft. Lee since it is an Army base, I believe. If he is a Marine, he is probably at the Naval Weapons station near Williamsburg or Camp Peary. If he is posted near Williamsburg, PHF would be an option.

kmchick Aug 25th, 2005 12:34 PM

ok, lets straighten out the military bases in the tidewater area.

Never Ft. Lee is south of Richmond, no relation to all the intalations in the tidewater area. Birdie, I thought you were a local, Camp Perry hasn't belonged to the Navy since WWII. It's "the farm," in fact a google search has way more information than it maybe should.

The closest Marine base is south of the river, almost 2 hours from Richmond, in which case flying into Norfolk is a better choice. There is a Naval Weapons Station and annex in Yorktown which is the most likely possibility.

rb_travelerxATyahoo Aug 25th, 2005 01:46 PM

The question is Two Years Old.

Birdie Aug 26th, 2005 10:45 AM

Dang it!!! I usually know better than to respond to old posts.
And yep, I know what goes on at Camp Peary and has in the past. What's that glow we see over it at night? Didn't know if there were some Marines there for "training?"