Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Skipping Thanksgiving....where should we go?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3rd, 2007, 06:34 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My dh and I were discussing skipping the whole family circus and going somewhere!

Hmmm....

We love cold and maybe snow, so I was thinking Colorado and getting a condo with
a fireplace and seeing if the lifts were open. If they aren't...more time to relax!

Or, I was thinking of a place on Cape Cod,
a nod to our Plymouth forebearers, and have
Tday dinner at a great inn. We are NOT b&b
types...we like big resorts and all that, but I am sure there is nothing big on Cape Cod.

I have been to Plymouth, Mass.
in 1976, and it seemed quaint, but I was only 15, and don't remember much except the cute boy driving the boat! I still have a picture of us on the beach, his hair blonde, blowing in the wind....oops, sorry!

So, any ideas? Maine? Colorado? Mass?
Utah?

We are thinking of using FFlyer miles and just renting a condo or place for about $200 per nite.

We don't have to ski! AND we love the ocean, but not a hot vacation, more fireplace and reading!

Any ideas?
Old Jul 3rd, 2007, 07:28 PM

I have to laugh at your post as I'm trying to talk my DH into heading to Jamaica with the kids over thanksgiving to skip the madness. Colorado or Utah sounds great. Where are you from as a point of reference? Cape Cod could also be nice. I love heading to the beach in the winter...it's so peaceful.
Old Jul 3rd, 2007, 07:35 PM

Or how about Santa Fe?

Lee Ann
Old Jul 3rd, 2007, 07:49 PM

1. Help me out please I relatively new to these travel posts ... what is a DH?

2. How about the Outer Banks in NC? I haven't been in late Fall but I know a few folks who have and said it was so nice just to walk around on the craggy beach and watch the surf. And the rentals around there are so nice -- I'm sure you could find a great place over Thanksgiving.

Old Jul 3rd, 2007, 08:08 PM

Actually, Cape Cod has some lovely larger resorts. Try the Chatham Bars Inn at http://www.chathambarsinn.com and the Ocean’s Edge at http://www.oceanedge.com.

There are also many very nice larger resorts in New England and upstate New York. They have spas, room service, and all the amenities. Three to consider would be The Wheatley in Lenox Massachusetts (wheatleigh.com or lhw.com),
The Equinox in Manchester, Vermont (equinox.rockresorts.com or lhw.com) and the Otesaga Resort in Cooperstown NY (http://www.otesaga.com). You would most likely not have snow at Thanksgiving, it will all be a matter of chance. The Cooperstown area is where the Baseball Hall of Fame is located, and there are art galleries, etc in town. Lenox and Manchester are lovely little towns and there are numerous outlet shops there now too.
Old Jul 4th, 2007, 03:52 AM

Concerns with advice:
1. flying (even to Jamaica) is awful at Thanksgiving
2. traffic to and from Nag's Head at Thanksgiving is awful
3. Plymouth isn't much and no resorts of the type you like. Chatham Bars Inn is a very good suggestion
4. For many years, my family and I went to the White Mountains in NH every Thanksgiving to get a jump on the snow season. There was never enough to ski, but we always had enough snow to make the trip worthwhile. What about Jackson, NH?
Old Jul 4th, 2007, 04:37 AM

We go to Colorado every year and attempt to ski at Thanksgiving. It's nice because it's not too crowded yet. The really great skiers don't like it because the snow is not great, but that's ok by me. I like it because it puts me in the 'winter' mood.

Definately make sure you look at the opening dates of the various resorts if you go. We always go to Breckenridge as it generally opens in early to mid November.

It's a fun town, even if you don't ski. You could go sledding or take a snowmobile tour. Last year, my son and his girlfriend went dog-sledding. Plus, there are a few full service condo resorts.

Have fun with your research!
H
Old Jul 4th, 2007, 06:05 AM
Original Poster

I forgot about Santa Fe! That sounds great! Also, The outter banks sound great too...along with all of the suggestions!

Thanks! I will look at all of the places suggested and run them by dh.

Hey, Jamaica bound: That sounds good! VERY relaxing!!

Old Jul 4th, 2007, 07:05 AM

As Ackislander pointed out, flying around Thanksgiving can be a nightmare...but last Thanksgiving a friend and I went to London (Wed-Sun) from Boston and we were worried about traffic in/out of the airport as well as lines, but we drove right in and then checked in, got through security, and were sitting at our gate in less than 45 mins. It was a dream. If you look at going international, the craziness of holiday travel might be limited...depending on your destination of course. (I imagine warmer destinations might be more intense)
Old Jul 4th, 2007, 09:02 AM

Hi beachkomer,

As far as ski areas go, the areas in the Rockies always plan to be open by Thanksgiving. Usually the weekend before.

Snow is normally enough and OK, if necessary and weather has allowed they make it!

Flying into SLC would be one of your easiest destinations. Our airport is a breeze.
Old Jul 4th, 2007, 04:39 PM
Original Poster

Yes, Salt Lake Airport IS a breeze!

I love Park City, maybe that is an option...

BUT, we chatted today and we both want to go somewhere that we've never been.

The search continues!

Old Jul 4th, 2007, 04:51 PM

DH and I go to San Francisco every year for T Day weekend.

We stay at the Grand Hyatt on Union Square..and go shopping on the Friday after TDay

We go to Rodeo beach Marin ocean side of the Golden GAte Bridge and picnic and hike (usually so windy but really refreshing air and wildlife)

We do a day spa at the Flagship Nordstroms, go to a play have lots of wine and dinners out..

and drive to Napa Sonoma..1 day
Old Jul 4th, 2007, 05:04 PM

tmontauk, DH is dear husband, darling husband, damned husband. Whichever seems right at the moment.

I would definitely look at the NC beaches at Thanksgiving. Beautiful time to visit there.
Old Jul 4th, 2007, 06:21 PM

We rented a cottage in Asheville, NC and had an incredible time. Felt very "thanksgivingy" without the family drama! Great city.
Old Jul 4th, 2007, 06:52 PM
Original Poster

I have been on www.vrbo.com looking at condos in Colorado.

I found a few for around $200/nt in Aspen, which would be somewhere we've never been and would feel special. I have been to Vail.

Has anyone rented a condo in Aspen?
I know, if I narrow it down to there, I need to post a new question.

NC seems great too. I will go to vrbo for there too.

THANKS!

Old Jul 5th, 2007, 03:04 AM

Why not head up north to Canada? Since it won't be a holiday there, everything will be open. You could try Vancouver, BC, with plenty to do on its own and then go up to Whistler IF there is snow (or just to look around if there isn't).
Or how about Lake Louise? Better chances of snow there.
Old Jul 5th, 2007, 05:32 PM
Original Poster

Wow! Canada! I hadn't thought that 'far' out, but it would be cool to see Vancouver. I will do some FF mile checks. Maybe fly into Seattle, and drive up...?

hmm.
Old Jul 5th, 2007, 07:09 PM
TahitiTams

Sedona, Enchantment Resort
Taos, El Monte Sagrado
Lake Louise, Fairmont Chateau
Telluride, Peaks Resort
Deer Valley, Stein Erickson Lodge

Old Jul 5th, 2007, 07:29 PM

Telluride CO and stay at Hotel Telluride or a number of other fine places either in town or in Mountain Village. [Note to TahitiTams - The Peaks was sold and last I heard was tired and shabby; not sure if they have had a re-do.]

Durango CO and stay at the Strater or General Palmer in town or Apple Orchard Inn just out of town on the way to ski resort.

Santa Fe or Taos are also wonderful.

Debi
Old Jul 5th, 2007, 07:54 PM

Sedona cannot be beat. But I would also point you to Portland, OR if you've never been. (No..I live in TX, but will never forget how lovely Portland was, discovered on a busines trip, no less!) It is SO incredibly beautiful.

Where is it you reside beachkomer?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -