Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

AirB&B New Orleans, Garden District, Safety?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19th, 2020, 09:26 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

College girls in family want to stay in an Airbnb rather than a hotel for financial reasons. I understand they are now illegal, and not the safest option. They have booked in the "Garden District" but that some proprietors of these places are not trustworthy with their ads, and that you have to be very careful of your neighborhoods in New Orleans. Opinions?
Old Jan 19th, 2020, 11:52 AM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
The last time I spent a night in New Orleans, (pre Katrina), I stayed in a hostel in the Garden Quarter. My advice is to look for a B&B along or within a block of the St. Charles St. streetcar line. Last spring I was planing a trip that didn't happen. I had reserved a hostel not far off the Canal St. streetcar line. Enjoy your trip to the "Big Easy". Travel as a group and never solo and you should be safe at least in the daytime.
I think the fare on the streetcars is $1.25 per person exact change.
Old Jan 20th, 2020, 03:41 PM
Original Poster

Bump ...
Thanks, jimfuller! Anyone else?

Last edited by raregull1; Jan 20th, 2020 at 03:44 PM.
Old Jan 20th, 2020, 03:43 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
This question is more about an owner-direct rental (pros and cons) than it is about safety in Garden District.

Not all AirBnBs are "illegal" depends the location, the building they are in, etc.

Have you seen the link of the place they want to rent? Does it have plenty of solid positive reviews? Is the owner a "super host" with good reviews as well?
Old Jan 20th, 2020, 03:49 PM
Original Poster

Found out it's between Magazine St. and the river, which I read is not really the Garden District, and not recommended by most. Thanks for your reply.
Old Jan 20th, 2020, 03:55 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
That's another "problem" using AirBnB... they don't give you an exact address upfront in the listing, just a vague map of the general area. And if it is misrepresented in the listing (pretending Garden District when it is not) would be a red flag to me.

I'm female and travel solo (older) but for me in a city I am not familiar with I would never do a private rental, just too much that can go wrong. I would stick to the most reasonably priced hotel I could find in a central and (relatively) safe neighborhood.

Have they used AirBnB before in other places? It's not all bad, but you REALLY have to understand how it works to use it successfully.