Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Air traveler wants to "stop over" but not pay extra

Oct 27th, 2001, 03:52 AM
Greg

Looking for advice from air travel experts: I have a late evening, last flight out that day connection in a city where I have family. My flight starts in Phoenix in the afternoon, goes to Minneapolis (where I have the connection and family), then I am scheduled to change planes and leave 45 minutes later on my last flight of the day to Baltimore. What if I just missed my connection flight to Baltimore on purpose so I could stay the night and go out the next day, would they charge me extra money?

Oct 27th, 2001, 05:22 AM
Teri

Greg, no they would not, just show up about 15 - 20 min after the flight has left....and they have to put you on the next flight out which should be a morning flight, need more info, let me know

Oct 27th, 2001, 11:38 AM
Greg

What if the airline people complain when I show up for the flight late and state I should have been at the gate when the flight left. More info please.

Oct 27th, 2001, 03:23 PM
Teri

Greg, what airline will you be taking? I will get the official rules on connections for you.

Oct 27th, 2001, 03:40 PM
jo ann

Teri sounds like she knows an angle, but I would just point out that if you show up late by 15 or 20 mins, and your first flight arrived at the Minneapolis airport roughly on time 45 mins earlier, I would imagine that their first question for you will be "so, where were you?" I don't quite understand how Teri thinks you can finesse that.
Another angle would be to hope that the flight out of Minneapolis is overbooked (many are these days, in my experience) -- in which case, show up asap from the first flight, and volunteer to give up your seat in return for going out the next a.m.

Oct 28th, 2001, 01:56 AM
Greg

I am flying on economy class tickets on Northwest.

Oct 28th, 2001, 02:56 AM
Teri

Greg, what are your travel dates? Northwest flies to differnet hubs depending on the date.....

Oct 28th, 2001, 05:08 AM
aha

Best way is to have the airline make the change for you. The key is to get them to not charge you. You say there is only 45 minutes from arrival time to departure time. Call the airline and tell them you will be under too much stress (include "physical" when describing) and request another (later) flight. Normally they allow at least one hour. They will say there isn't one, until the next day. Ask for a hotel room (which they won't give you) and compromise on not being charged for the flight change. Push this issue with the person on the phone. Ask them to speak to their supervisor (before YOU ask to speak to their supervisor) . Make sure, though, you are enrolled in their FF program first (even if you do it on the web the minute before!)

This way, your luggage won't be going to Balt. without you - which nowadays is stopped if they know about it.

I have often (pre 9/11) changed flights "on the fly" at the airport check in or gate. Never a charge (usually, with one exception) - as long as there is space. In fact, my flying strategy was always get the cheapest flight date/times, and have it changed at the last minute.

If you missed it on purpose, they could charge you a late charge AND the current rate difference. This is the exception I noted above. I changed at SLC to go back to EWR via Vegas instead of PHX. Had to pay $535 (at the time change charges were $35, I think). Was on a corporate tab so I didn't care. The airline clerk was NOT busy - so he had the time to follow the rules. Last time I ever made requests to non-busy clerks!

But really, if you are arriving late in MN and will be leaving next day, won't it be a real pain for you and your family to meet you, pick you up, take you back, feed & sleep you and send you off the next day? Unless they live near the airport, I bet it is a good hour or more just to navigate - plus the wait time (on the arrival and the next day, perhaps?)

Oct 28th, 2001, 10:52 AM
xxxx

Parachute

Oct 29th, 2001, 10:15 AM
Tim

Last time I flew Northwest, I was given the option of having one free layover at any of their hubs, which included Minneapolis. So we flew from San Fran to Minneapolis, stayed the night, and flew on to Amsterdam the next day.

No problem, because that's how my ticket was booked.

Oct 29th, 2001, 10:21 AM
Patrick

Tim, I think you are on another wave length here. You are talking about a layover at a gateway to an international destination. Greg is talking about a layover within a domestic flight. There's a big difference.

Oct 29th, 2001, 01:07 PM
Tim

The same option was available regardless of whether the flight was domestic or international. Maybe they've changed their policies since then. This was in 1998.

Oct 29th, 2001, 03:17 PM
barbara

I'm a travel agent- Here's the scoop. You can get yourself an overnight layover if you take the last flight into a city and first one out. That's because the airline requires you take the first available flight. If that not until the next morning, so be it.