air travel to rapid city

Search

air travel to rapid city

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6th, 2018, 10:17 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
air travel to rapid city

Planning a road trip in SD. We are ( 6 adults) traveling from Hartford to Rapid City. We don't seem to be able to find routing that allows for a layover of reasonable time. Our choices are 32 min or 4 hours. Does anyone travel to this airport often and have some input for us. It seems that Delta and United are the most common carriers. It seems all our options are going through MSP. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Old Jul 8th, 2018, 08:03 AM

American, delta, United and alligent are the only options. Rapid city is a very small airport with a very small number of flights. Go to rapairport.com to see the full flight list.under flu with us is a route map and arrival/departures lists all non completes flights.
Old Jul 8th, 2018, 08:16 AM

Rapid City is a very small airport. Fifteen minutes is excessive for a transfer.
Old Jul 8th, 2018, 02:51 PM

So you have either 32 minutes or 4 hours in MSP on your way to Rapid City.

3 options:
1) take your chances with the short connection and hope for the best.
2) spend 4 hours at MSP - it's a pretty decent airport and you'd have time to take light rail to the Mall of America or downtown Minneapolis
3) play around with Hartford to MSP on one airline and MSP to Rapid City on another airline. That may decrease the layover time but you're taking the chance of missing the 2nd flight and the airline will not care since your first flight was on a different airline.

I guess there's a 4th option: look at airports other than Hartford and see if you can get better routing and prices.
Old Jul 8th, 2018, 09:11 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Your options on United go through MSP and not O"hare with the 2 hr+ layover????? You need to look again.
Old Jul 8th, 2018, 09:53 PM

If you go through MSP I would do the 4 hour layover rather than the 32 min. layover. If you have to transfer from a larger plane to a smaller regional carrier you might have to walk quite a ways (although they do have moving carts that you can take if you find one that is not full) and it would not be fun. It would especially be a problem if your plane was even a few minutes late. MSP is a very nice airport and I have done layovers there many times and I always find things to do to fill the time. If you want to leave the airport you can definitely take the light rail to Mall of America or downtown as the other poster mentioned. Personally, the farthest I would go is MOA as it is close to the airport.