Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Air conditioner needed in Oregon? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/air-conditioner-needed-in-oregon-715490/)

what_a_ride Jun 23rd, 2007 02:34 PM

Air conditioner needed in Oregon?

I'm from Tx where the A/C is needed 24/7
from April to Oct....
I have called several places about ($150 per night) ocean front in Gold Beach, Yachats,and area...They all tell me A/C not needed in August...Could this be true???

vivi Jun 23rd, 2007 02:50 PM

I was in Florence/Yachats last week and there definitely was no need for a/c. We were also inland in Grants Pass and Eugene where we did use the a/c (especially in Grants Pass.) Have not been there in August.

Orcas Jun 23rd, 2007 02:56 PM

Rather than air conditioning, you might want to be sure to bring your sweats, so you can stay warm.

Otis_B_Driftwood Jun 23rd, 2007 03:38 PM

"you might want to be sure to bring your sweats"

A fireplace might be nice too.

what_a_ride Jun 23rd, 2007 03:45 PM

Thanks.......Wish I could stay til October!

Scarlett Jun 23rd, 2007 03:58 PM

The Inn at Arch Cape has fireplaces in all the rooms. We were there last fall, Sept..we had a roaring fire going .. We never needed a/c when we were there in summer..and remember, you will turn blue if you go into the water lol

Pegontheroad Jun 23rd, 2007 08:17 PM

I've been in Portland during the month of July, and every year there has usually been at least one week when AC would have been great.

janisj Jun 23rd, 2007 08:44 PM

a whole lotta difference between Portland (and other parts of inland Oregon) and the coast. a/c is usually not needed in Portland, is often needed in south central Oregon - and is never needed on the coast.

As others say - a heater/fireplace is important, a/c isn't

Andrew Jun 23rd, 2007 08:53 PM

It's true that Portland is warmer than the coast, where A/C is rarely needed in general (some parts of the coast get hotter than others, plus it usually cools way down at night, ocean breezes and all). But it can get quite hot in Portland in the summers, sometimes up to 100 degrees (not humid fortunately). My upstairs gets hot and I definitely need A/C in my bedroom in the summers. Someone living on a lower floor that stays cooler probably wouldn't need it.

Orcas Jun 23rd, 2007 08:58 PM

Basically, you have the Pacific Ocean to the west, which is just this side of freezing, and the coast range, to the east, which blocks in the air blowing off the Pacific. It is f**ing freezing on the Oregon coast all year round. In all honesty, I have heard there are warm days. I just haven't experienced any.

I'll never forget our first trip to the coast. It was 95 degrees in Portland and we went in our shorts. After we passed the coast range, we heard on the radio, "And it's 55 degrees in Canon Beach today with 35 mile an hour winds. Our first stop was at a store to buy warm clothes. After that, we always carried coats in the car when we went to the coast, just in case....

Andrew Jun 23rd, 2007 09:07 PM

I've had the same experience numerous times where it's hot in Portland and chilly on the coast. But I have been to Cannon Beach when it's quite hot (high 80s) at least during the day. Probably doesn't happen enough that you need to worry about A/C.

1JAR Jun 23rd, 2007 10:58 PM

Last year we were in Portland on Monday and it was worth the AC due to the traffic noise downtown, Cannon Beach on Wednesday cooler but great..no need for AC just the cool ocean breeze. Saturday we dove thru the wine country on the way way back to Portland and were we glad to have air conditioning in the car for 107.

GP Jun 24th, 2007 05:21 AM

Hi what_a_ride

I think Orcas nailed it. During the day if it is warm enough to use A/C then you should be on the beach. You'll never need it at night.

Have Fun
GP

bkluvsNola Jun 24th, 2007 08:26 AM

The Oregon Coast never needs air conditioning. You will be pleasantly cool in the day and probably cold at night. If it gets warm in the day, consider it a blessing - that rarely happens. However, rest assured it will be cool at night and if you open the windows, you'll definitely sleep well. If it's cool in the day then it'll be cold at night and having the fireplace roaring might be needed.

Inland is a whole 'another story.

suze Jun 24th, 2007 08:43 AM

You don't need air-con staying on the Oregon coast imo.