Ah, those Northern Lights....!

Old Sep 10th, 2002, 05:51 PM
x

Ah, those Northern Lights....!

Have you been lucky enough to see them? When...and where? Let's hear about it.

Old Sep 10th, 2002, 05:54 PM
xx

This past Saturday night 10ish pm. Northeast Kingdom of Vermont.

Old Sep 10th, 2002, 05:56 PM
Mike

I have seen then several times being a frequent vacationer to the Northwoods of Wisconsin. I have seen them near Land O Lakes, WI as well as Grand Rapids, MN. On the way to Wisconsin one night, I saw them near Rockford, IL off the Northwest Tollway and followed them all the way to Madison. They are one of the most beautiful things I have seen in the night sky. I plan on seeing them many more times.

Old Sep 10th, 2002, 05:59 PM
x

Despite living in rural NE Wisconsin, I've been lucky enough to see them only once. And it was FANtastic! Part of the problem is that we tend not to be in the front (north-facing) yard or even that part of the house after dark. I keep meaning to do a nightly check. In fact, will go do that now....

Old Sep 10th, 2002, 06:07 PM
NewOrleans

I saw them on Bourbon Street one night. Incredible.

Old Sep 10th, 2002, 06:51 PM
Dick

Night flight Boston to London this past March. Window seat on the left side of the plane. Greeen curtain shimmering all the way across the Atlantic. Magic.

Old Sep 10th, 2002, 08:18 PM
brenda

Dick,
I had the same experience on a night flight from Seattle to Anchorage. It was the most outrageous and exciting experience I have had in a long time. Those on the right side of the plane were swapping seats with the people on the left side so everyone could get a glimpse. Awesome and more.....Lasted over a half hour.

Old Sep 10th, 2002, 08:29 PM
John

Numerous times, in various parts of Alaska and Scotland, where the Gaelic name for the lights translates as "the dancing men."

The most memorable occasion was at a friend's house up in the Chugach mountains near Anchorage - mid-winter, cold as hell. We were walking down to my car and noticed the lights were curtaining, green and pink (unusual around Anchorage), so we all stood there gawking and losing sensation in our toes, saying nothing. In the middle of all this a family of moose crossed the snowfield in front of our friends' house, silhouetted by the aurora. By the time we got down the mountain and back into town the city lights had pretty much drowned the aurora out, but the memory stuck, and how.

Old Sep 10th, 2002, 08:45 PM
Paul Rabe

One time, while driving north late at night in North Dakota. Pure luck, I really hadn't intended to be out that late (long story). Just a green glow, but good enough for me to say I've seen them.

Old Sep 10th, 2002, 08:50 PM
Cali

We saw them this past August while in Northeastern MN (near Grand Marais) and they were fabulous. We have seen them there on previous trips too and wish our California friends and neighbors could see them too. Many think they only exist in paintings and had no idea they were real.

Old Sep 10th, 2002, 09:00 PM
Austin

Saw 'em once this spring when I came home from work. It's rare for them to be visible this far south (Asheville, NC), but there they were... and it was pretty scary for a moment. There were lots of forest fires burning at that time, and it was very dry, so it was alarming to see the sky lit up in red... but then it turned to blue, then green, and it was still going on when I finally went inside.

Old Sep 11th, 2002, 11:11 AM
Gina

How I envy those of you who have seen the Northern Lights! I live about 100 miles north of Detroit and have never seen them. My daughter and grandkids who live up north near the Mackinac Bridge, have seen them numerous times -they rather take them for granted. Seeing them, along with taking a hot air balloon ride, are two of the things on my "must do" list!

Old Sep 11th, 2002, 11:21 AM
Gina

We saw them last August on a night fligt from Anchorage to Newark.

I found this address http://northernlightsnome.homestead.com
in Science magazine and now I know I would like to be somewhere in Alaska in the winter.

Old Sep 11th, 2002, 11:31 AM
Vermont Too

Hey xx (if that's your real name LOL) I've seen them twice this summer in VT--once from the lake---stunning!

Not quite Alaska, but I'll take whatever Mother Nature throws my way

Old Sep 11th, 2002, 11:35 AM
doc

Western Maine. Long green streaks across the sky.

Old Oct 30th, 2002, 10:20 AM
Adela

I have seen them many times as my home is in Alberta, Canada, but last September on an Alaskan cruise we saw the bests ones, just fantastic! only the sea and the sky,... with this great Masterpiece!, it was one of the highlitgh of our trip to Alaska!, at that moment I thought they were the best we have ever seen, but then , about 2 weeks ago,we had another "show" just from our home! they always amaze me! I never take them for granted, and know we are very lucky! I just hope everybody could see them!

Old Oct 30th, 2002, 11:09 AM
Marz

February in Finland. My wife slipped over when leaving a bar and when lying on her back looking up said 'ooh, the sky is all green'.

Spent the next 20 minutes freezing, but in total awe of the lights.

Old Oct 30th, 2002, 11:10 AM
S

My 73 year old mother vividly remembers seeing the Northern Lights as a child. She grew up on a farm in South Carolina. My grandfather called into the house to my grandmother, "Nell, come here quickly, but leave the children there!" Of course that guaranteed they all piled out of the house faster than if he had called them.

Unfortunately, the only time they have been visible this far south, the news reported it several hours after their occurrance. Grrrr

Old Oct 30th, 2002, 11:52 AM
Mountain

In the 1950's, when I was a teenager we saw the Northern Lights here in WV, that is the only time I know of them being this far south. When I tell people this they look at me like I am a fruitcake.

Old Oct 30th, 2002, 12:15 PM
lisa

Years ago, on a farm in the northern lower peninsula of Michigan. I'll never forget it.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell My Personal Information