Agnanti: Worth the Trip to Astoria

Mar 15th, 2009, 08:06 PM
Original Poster

Agnanti: Worth the Trip to Astoria

Sunday afternoon, with three first-timers, Joy and I re-visited this bustling Greek restaurant next to Astoria Park in Queens, almost directly under the Hell's Gate Bridge. Five of us dined heartily for a little over $40 a person, tax and tip included. That also includes two-and-a-half carafes of house wine at $18/kg (yes, kg; it's sold on the menu by weight, a first for us; it's about a liter).

Great grilled octopus; fresh and garlicky tzatziki; a wonderful Greek salad of winter tomatoes, cucumbers, onions, olives and Feta, excellent tomatokeftedes (tomato and herb croquettes), and a terrific grilled Portabello mushroom comprised our shared appetizers.

For our entrées, also shared, we selected grilled red snapper, filleted tableside without ceremony; melt-in-your-mouth lamb stew; rooster and Greek pasta in a cinnamon-hinted, very light tomato sauce; a moussaka with just the right amount of Bechamel sauce on top; and a fabulous pastichio, with garlicky roasted potatoes. Oh, did I mention garlic?

A comped assortment of honey cakes, plus some sweet Greek coffee finished things up. We couldn't have asked for friendlier, more accommodating service. It's no wonder this place is so popular.

http://www.agnantimeze.com/
May 17th, 2009, 09:32 AM

Sounds excellent! Thanks for the tip.
May 17th, 2009, 07:30 PM

yummy! we're of Greek origin - would love to try some greek food when we visit NY city!
May 18th, 2009, 03:13 PM

I heartily endorse Burt's report on Agnanti - in fact we introduced him and Joy to it some time ago. They also have a place in Bay Ridge - also top rate.

Search this Thread