Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Afternoon Tea in Boston - Original Ritz or Four Seasons?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 29th, 2003, 07:15 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been to afternoon tea at both Ritzes (the original being much better in my opinion) but haven't been to the Four Seasons. Wondering if I should try it or stick to the Ritz? Thanks!
Old Sep 29th, 2003, 12:50 PM

Haven't been to afternoon tea at the Ritz, but I have been to the Four Seasons. It's served in the Bristol Lounge, and is lovely if you can get a table by the window with a view of the Public Garden. I recall that the food was good. They served the usual type of food (sandwiches, cakes, small deserts). The atmosphere really made it special, though. I would be interested in how it compares to the Ritz if you go there. I think you can make a reservation, and may need one depending on when you want to go.
Old Sep 29th, 2003, 01:01 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
I've only gone to the Ritz for many years, (old habits). Even went to one where you bring your teddy bear.
Old Sep 29th, 2003, 01:06 PM

Hi, I am also curious to what you decide. We had the same dilemma in June and had reservations for the "old" Ritz on Newbury St. which has 2 seatings. We had not completed our visit at the Isabella Gardner Museum on time to make our reservations and made last minute reservations at the Four Seasons. It was lovely and the food was good. The Bristol Lounge at the Four Seasons is a very popular place and if you don't get there for tea go for cocktails or the amazing Vienesse Dessert Table from 9pm-midnight! At the Bristol Lounge there was more flexibilty with times. Enjoy!
Old Oct 2nd, 2003, 11:49 AM
Original Poster

Hi all - thanks for all of your comments! I decided to stick with the Ritz. While I don't doubt that the Four Seasons is fabulous, this is for a special occasion with my grandmother and I know I definitely love the Ritz and it will live up to all of my expectations. I'll get to the Four Seasons one of these days though!
Old Oct 2nd, 2003, 12:30 PM
mrt

Who wrote this inquiry Frasier and Niles Crane? Get a life!
Old Oct 2nd, 2003, 01:06 PM

Have a wonderful time with your grandmother! I think it's great that you are putting so much thought into a special afternoon with her. By the way, if you ever get out to Concord, the afternoon tea at the Colonial Inn is quite nice as well.