Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   After theatre dining (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/after-theatre-dining-290108/)

Cinzia Feb 18th, 2003 09:15 AM

After theatre dining

You've given me great information about shows, now I'm asking for help with post theatre dining. I have reservations at Becco one night which I have been to and loved. I've heard you talk about Pigalle and Chez Josepine. Which do you all like better or can you recommend another in the area. Thanks again for your help.<BR>Cinzia

HowardR Feb 18th, 2003 10:04 AM

I've touted Chez Josephine many times. It's fun after the theater.<BR>You could also try Orso on restaurant row (W. 46th, between 8th &amp; 9th).

Patrick Feb 18th, 2003 10:25 AM

And next to Orso, same owners, is Joe Allen's, a real show-biz hangout. Food is good, not spectacular, but it is the buzz and brick cellar-like atmosphere you go for. (But I love the liver and onions -- and they have really great hamburgers or omelets if you want something light). You will see theatre posters on all the walls and it may take a while to figure out what they all have in common -- here's a hint -- you will not have heard of many of the shows.<BR><BR>You need to reserve a week ahead (which is as far ahead as you can reserve). You don't give them a time, you tell them what show you are seeing and they will know the time. One night we saw The Life and Liza Minelli was hauled up on stage afterwards and proceeded to do a couple of songs with the cast. When we arrived at Joe Allen's quite a bit late, we were greeted with &quot;Well, you've had quite a night, how was Liza?&quot; They already knew.<BR><BR>One night we saw Nathan Lane, Matthew Broderick and Sarah Jessica Parker, Mary Louise Parker, Michelle Lee, and I forget who else. It bustles.

MlNA_VAMP Feb 18th, 2003 11:28 AM

Sardi's was always my favourite.<BR><BR>*MINA*<BR>New Orleans

HowardR Feb 18th, 2003 12:16 PM

Sorry, Mina, but Cinzia can do far, far better than Sardi's in the food department. Of course, if she's going on the chance of spotting celebrities, then it's a different story.

Patrick Feb 18th, 2003 01:05 PM

I agree about the food at Sardi's. And while Joe Allen's may not be great food either, at least they don't charge you a fortune for it like they do at Sardi's. Joe Allen's doesn't pretend to have &quot;great&quot; food, just sort of all American standards. <BR><BR>But by all means stop in at one of the bars at Sardi's before the theatre. (I prefer the larger one upstairs. They do super drinks, have really nice bartenders, and help yourself to a few complimentary crackers with their great horseradish cheese spread to tie you over until after the theatre.

JVS Feb 18th, 2003 01:25 PM

Im with Howard- Orso is very good and has a great wine list.

djkbooks Feb 18th, 2003 04:19 PM

We love Pigalle. It's open 24 hours and the food is fine. But, the food is far superior and the atmosphere is more appealing, to us anyway, at Chez Josephine.

Cinzia Feb 19th, 2003 08:32 AM

I've been trying to thank you all for your help but this @%&amp;*%$ site keeps loosing my password! Anyway, thanks to all of you! Now for a really dumb question. I know I need all-weather shoes for wet New York. What does a girl from So Calif do who owns no all-weather shoes????? Boy am I in trouble!

suzanne Feb 19th, 2003 09:18 AM

Cinzia- wear something with treads (sneakers or boots) so at least you won't slip on the ice (assuming you'll be here in the cold weather). You'll have to jump over the puddles!<BR><BR>The next few weeks are going to be tough, though. The snow will be melting and the catch basins are all clogged up, so it's going to be one big flood. I'm wearing my knee-hi waterproof boots until it all clears up.

HowardR Feb 19th, 2003 09:42 AM

Just buy some inexpensive waterproof boots.

Elizabeth Feb 19th, 2003 01:47 PM

You need something with high tops. They could be from the leather sneaker family, or the Doc Martens family, or the work-boot family. I have never needed anything higher than a high-top work-boot style of shoe. But you do need a high top. You don't need a calf- or knee-high boot, though these are nice etc.<BR><BR> Then -- very important -- at a shoe repair shop, buy waterproofing spray and spray them. I have always dones this, I never wear rubber or waterproof boots, I don't like them, they don't breathe. <BR><BR> The spray waterproofs them and also prevents staining from the chemicals in the snow (= the salt that is put on the streets when it snows).