Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

After so long..an Aussie in the USA..help please.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 11th, 2021, 03:00 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all, I’ve been away from Fodors for so long ( hope I remember how it works!) but fingers and toes crossed will be flying to Seattle from Australia in December to finally meet my grandchild!

A couple of quick questions please as I feel I’ve lost all my OS travel confidence and will be solo this time.
I will be arriving via Qantas into LAX Terminal B and at this stage leaving from terminal 6 on Alaska to Seattle. ( I’m getting updates from Qantas frequently as they sort things out but this is the current situation)

I seem to remember there is a tunnel to terminal 6? I will have a couple of bags ( Christmas presents !) will I have to take them to terminal 6 or collect and re check somewhere on landing in terminal B?

Will Alaska let me in to their lounge as a Qantas Gold member - might need a shower by then 😉

Finally, arrive into Seattle close to midnight, don’t want the family to come out that late and think I will check into hotel nearby. Any recommendations for easy to get to hotel bearing in mind I probably won’t have a working phone on arrival and don’t want to to call a shuttle and not know where I am in terms of pickup if that makes sense ?

thank you, Ozgirl
Old Oct 11th, 2021, 05:05 PM

While I think the underground tunnel connects all the way to T6, you'll still have to clear customs at TBIT or "B". Since they are partners, they MIGHT recheck your bags onto the Alaska flight after you clear customs/immigration.

Can't vouch for it as LAX is my final destination on international flights.
Old Oct 11th, 2021, 07:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Don't know about LAX, but the general protocol in the US is to clear immigration and customs at the first airport, and check your bags with a connecting airline just outside customs.

Seattle from my go to site for info on sleeping in and near airports: https://www.sleepinginairports.net/g...ide.htm#hotels Oh, and here's their airport guide for LAX: https://www.sleepinginairports.net/g...port-guide.htm
Old Oct 11th, 2021, 08:28 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
You will clear immigration and collect your bags (even if they are checked through) at Tom Bradley then recheck them (just a drop zone/no exiting airside). T-6 is a long way from Tom Bradley. First walk to T-4, then virtually the entire length of T-4, then a long-ish tunnel without moving sidewalks to T-5, then another long/non-moving sidewalk tunnel to T-6.

So it will be a pain whether you go land side and take the shuttle bus, or stay airside and walk.

I'm not sure about the Alaska Lounge - I 'think' you may have access, but the Alaska lounge website should list all the entry rules. AFAIK there are no showers in the Alaska Lounge.
Old Oct 12th, 2021, 06:51 AM

Regarding SEA-TAC: We arrived there in July, late at night, and learned that the shuttle for our hotel (Hampton Inn or Hilton Garden Inn, can't remember) had stopped service for the night. We grabbed a cab instead, but be aware that the driver tried to charge us a ridiculous amount of $$ for the fare. I balked and suddenly she reevaluated the distance and price. Settle on a price prior to getting in the cab!
Old Oct 12th, 2021, 07:41 AM

The Hilton, Radisson, Red Lion etc are just across the street and very walkable.
Old Oct 12th, 2021, 08:08 AM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
A couple of things, possibly already mentioned.

The bag recheck area is just right after customs at TBIT. so no problems there; the walk from TBIT to T6 is a good 20 minutes or more, so plan ahead.

How long do you have between flights? Alaska is now a full member of Oneworld and with Qantas Gold/Oneworld Sapphire status you can use any member airline's lounge, including Alaska's in T6 (but not, however, the Qantas First Class lounge at TBIT unless you're crossing the Pacific in first class.) If you want a shower, note the Alaska lounge doesn't have any, so use the Oneworld business lounge at TBIT before you head to T6 - if there's time.

The hotel shuttles at Seatac pick up on the third level of the parking garage, across the skybridge from bag claim (up one, bridge, down one - escalators or lifts.) I believe the bank of hotel courtesy phones in the terminal has been disabled due to Covid transmission fears. Most of the hotel shuttles operate until very late; but in looking at the flight timetables for December I don't think you'd have any trouble getting a shuttle. But I was wondering if you might not think about forcing an overnight at LAX followed by LAX-SEA the next morning. I know that in my case I'm pretty shattered after a TPAC flight, and a shower AND a bed might be a decent plan for LAX, rather than a zombie march to T6 followed by another flight. I'd contact Qantas to see if that's possible.
Old Oct 12th, 2021, 08:13 AM

I really like Gardyloo's suggestion to if possible lay over at LAX and arrive at Sea-Tac the next morning.
Old Oct 12th, 2021, 08:17 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The good news is that there's a tunnel/walkway between TBIT and T6, and that Qantas Gold members can access the Alaska Lounge.
https://www.qantas.com/us/en/qantas-...#lounge-access

The bad news is that it's a half-mile walk from TBIT to T6, and the Alaska lounge does not have showers.
https://thepointsguy.com/reviews/fir...ka-lounge-lax/

Old Oct 12th, 2021, 09:30 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What are mobility challenged people supposed to do at LAX? Do courtesy wheelchairs take that route?
Old Oct 12th, 2021, 12:26 PM

I think I have seen them being pushed. Might also be possible to be driven on one of those golf carts that they use to shuttle people around.

It isn't clear that all of the International Lounges are open, even if you had status.

Staying airside means not having to go through TSA again.

Last edited by mlgb; Oct 12th, 2021 at 12:30 PM.
Old Oct 12th, 2021, 12:31 PM

I've flown into and out of LAX including the Bradley using wheelchair assist and yes it is available, normally you have to arrange it in advance with the airline and they meet you on the jetway with the chair.
Old Oct 12th, 2021, 12:46 PM

The OneWorld Business Lounge at TBIT is closed at this time, so not an option even if you have status, as is the Qantas First Lounge.

https://www.oneworld.com/airport-lounges?location=LAX

oneworld Los Angeles Lounge TEMPORARILY CLOSED

(LAX) Los Angeles International Airport Tom Bradley International Terminal

Old Oct 12th, 2021, 01:51 PM
Original Poster

thank you everyone, good thoughts here 😊

Excellent info Gardyloo and a great suggestion re overnighting in LA! Normally I just want to get there ASAP but am getting older, by myself this time and the kids have a baby to drag out at midnight so might try and see what Qantas can do…. Hotels across the road from LAX from memory? I would have to drag bags over though wouldn’t I?
Old Oct 12th, 2021, 01:55 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
For those who mentioned the mobility challenged... You don't have to walk between terminals unless you want to. If you don't require wheelchair assistance, there is frequent shuttle bus service circulating the airport, but using it means leaving the secure area in one terminal to reach the curbside pickup area and then going through security after the drop-off at the next terminal.
Old Oct 12th, 2021, 02:13 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
ozgirl, the closest hotel to LAX is the Hyatt Regency. It's across the street from the airport entrance, but just under a mile from Bradley Terminal. The hotel offers 24/7 complimentary shuttle service between the hotel and all terminals.

"Other Transportation
Enjoy fast and convenient access to and from the Los Angeles International Airport with our complimentary shuttle service. The shuttle runs 24/7 and picks up on the upper deck at all terminals. Red pylons indicate the designated pick up points on the upper deck."

https://www.hyatt.com/en-US/hotel/ca...-airport/laxla

Every hotel chain has one or more properties nearby. Most offer free airport shuttle.
Old Oct 12th, 2021, 02:24 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Jean, the thought of going through security again makes the walk seem worth it lol
Old Oct 13th, 2021, 03:09 PM
Original Poster

I think there must be something on in town Dec 1? Outrageous prices and no availability at all at Hyatt?
mmmm 🤔
Old Oct 13th, 2021, 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by ozgirl
I think there must be something on in town Dec 1? Outrageous prices and no availability at all at Hyatt?
mmmm 🤔

That seems odd, being a midweek night. I checked the Holiday Inn and another property and both show no availability. May be because they are still limiting occupancy due to covid?? Maybe check booking.com because it will show at a glance which places have availability.
Old Oct 13th, 2021, 05:32 PM
Original Poster

It’s weird because two nights before and after it’s half the price?
Minimum of 3 stars all starting from high $400 on booking.com.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -