Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Afraid of elevators - At Empire State Building can I use the stairs?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22nd, 2002, 10:10 AM
Linda Lou Poovey

I will be going to the Big Apple for the first time in May and can't wait! I have a slight problem though. Everyone wants to go to the Empire State Building and I'm deathly afraid of elevators. Do you think the management would let me take the stairs? I'm a very healthy female, aged 28. I smoke a pack to a pack and a half a day, but I don't think that will hurt me. Have any of you ever taken the stairs?

Old Feb 22nd, 2002, 10:47 AM
aa

I'm sorry about your problem, but no way they'll let you use the stairs. As far as I remember, all staircases were locked. Plus, because of all latest secuity issues, someone would need to accompany you all they way. And even if they did let you walk, its too far to climb - you would need at least an hour to reach the top.

Old Feb 22nd, 2002, 11:06 AM
John K

aa is right, you will not be able to walk up the stairs at the ESB. But the bigger issue is that New York is a verticle city so it will be next to impossible to avoid elevators during your visit!

Old Feb 22nd, 2002, 12:17 PM
uh

Be sure to visit the WWF restaurant in Times Square. Sounds like you might be the type that would enjoy that.

Old Feb 22nd, 2002, 11:28 PM
Leslie

Although it is a troll post, some people are claustrophobic and have a problem being in elevators, and if they get crowded the fear can become even greater.

Having once been stuck in an elevator by myself for 45 minutes, waiting for building maintenance to release me from the box that was beginning to feel like a cell, I can tell you that it is not a pleasant experience. There wasn't a speaker system in the elevator, so all I could do is push the emergency alarm button.