Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Affordable housing in Connecticut, New York, Hawaii, Florida, Virginia?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 3rd, 2004, 10:09 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

California this, California that. Has anyone here stopped to consider that there ARE affordable homes in the STATE of California? Let's the conversation out of SF, SD, LA, etc. Look at the cities where there ARE affordable homes.

NYC, Arlington, blah, blah, blah. "OH!, all of NY state is too expensive. I would never consider living there!!" "OH!, all of Connecticut is too expensive! I would never consider living there!!" Get over yourselves. Dig deeper into the true data that exists. I drive a cab and I can legally afford a house in California, as a single man, w/o the additives mentioned above.
Remember, that USA was founded on "Yes, I can!"
Old Nov 3rd, 2004, 11:56 AM

All of New York State is not expensive. there are a lot of places upstate that are very economical. Unfortunately, those are the same places where jobs are fewer and generally low paid.

The closer to NYC the more expensive - if you're willing to do a long commute (2.5/3 hours each way - you can find affordable housing and work in the city.) Or, you can live in a neighborhood that is not yet gentrified - but much closer to the city.
Old Nov 3rd, 2004, 12:00 PM
GoTravel

rex, location, location, location.

There are houses in South Carolina that are on the ocean that cost a million dollars. Take the same house inland and it's $70,000.

Old Nov 3rd, 2004, 12:10 PM

Actually, the USA was founded on a "Yes, white male landowners can." Everyone else was included later.
Old Nov 3rd, 2004, 12:21 PM

Ho Hum, rex, there are houses a block away from mine that cost over 2 million dollars and that is in Florida, northern Florida. Where housing is affordable.
What exactly is your point ?
Old Nov 3rd, 2004, 12:22 PM

I think a couple of people here are missing the sarcasm. I think Rex is saying that people were claiming that "there is no affordable housing in CA" and they were losing sight that there are affordable houses in the state. Quoting one metropolitan area does not equal the entire state. Same thing for NYC vs NY state. Makes sense to me. I could be misinterpreting this, though. Rex, What are you saying here?
Old Nov 3rd, 2004, 12:24 PM

TripleSec, but why does rex feel the need to tell us?
Why the real estate chat? Don't we all know this anyway?
Old Nov 3rd, 2004, 12:41 PM

Scarlett - I like you.
I'm not qualified to perform psych analysis online for people who don't use their real names. I simply recognize the rhetoric and sarcasm of online chat. And, I identify with his frustration of the ignorance of the common person who lumps all of one state into a blanket generalization. It hits home because I was born in CA. Most people here aren't from here. Nothing against that. We weren't from here hundreds of years ago, either. Just that I cringe when people talk in broad generalizations and make careless, uninformed statements. For all I care, people should not move here. The only benefits are the exchange of other "cultures" and the increase in my R/E holdings.

Best Regards,
Old Nov 3rd, 2004, 01:27 PM
GoTravel

TripleSec, you mean you aren't all blonde plastic surgery junkies that work in high tech jobs and live in houses you can't afford with a 90 minute commute?

I thought middle class Californians was some urban legend

Old Nov 3rd, 2004, 03:04 PM

Well, the original poster was asking about Redwood City area. That's high end as is the immediate Bay Area. The median priced home in the county in which we live is $520K. That's alot of mortgage even for us middle class folks.
Throw in kids, schooling and just living, that's alot more.
I make more $ per year than my parents made combined in their lifetimes. I'd be considered middle class, have an advanced degree and two professions. My SO also has an advanced degree. We opted to buy at the low end of what we could buy so as to be able to do things like retrofitting and vacation in France in the same year. We consdier ourselves immensely lucky and do not know how folks with kids are supposed to do it.
My sister and her husband live in SF, have one school aged child and live in a serious 'hood. They will probably live there forever.
My brother works two jobs, has a kid on nearly full scholarship at college and another in high school, does own his home and it's a hefty commute from his primary job. He's sinking fast.
Old Nov 3rd, 2004, 03:07 PM

PS: not blonde, not plastic surgery, not high tech although I wish I were sometimes(Health Care) and only visit the beaches when there are clouds overhead. I'm a ten minute drive from the hospital and 8 minutes from my office. Thankfully, I can afford my home.
Thankfully I have one.
Old Nov 3rd, 2004, 03:08 PM

And one more thing about places to live, We can only live in blue states
Old Nov 3rd, 2004, 04:03 PM

TripleSec, I like you too

I am blonde Lived in Hollywood. But I live in a Red state

Old Nov 3rd, 2004, 04:09 PM

I'm in a state of depression
Old Nov 3rd, 2004, 04:10 PM

TG ><
It will be fine, really, it will
Old Nov 3rd, 2004, 04:31 PM

I know. I'm already over it. I usually enjoy gloating about my Florida real estate. I'll try to give it the old college try.

Prrrrrrr
Old Nov 3rd, 2004, 05:48 PM

Tandoori Girl,
We have lived here for 10 months now, we had a real estate market appraisal on the house and it made us very happy.
There, now you can gloat some~
((&)) woof
Old Nov 3rd, 2004, 06:16 PM

You won't get that rate of return in Portland, I'll betcha.

snort-snort
Old Nov 3rd, 2004, 06:22 PM

LOL, maybe, maybe not. We might just keep buying houses, fixing them up, selling them and moving on. Or we might just stay here and do it
snort
Old Nov 3rd, 2004, 06:33 PM

Portland, I don't think anyone can lose buying in Portland. If you are talking about Portland OR that is.

I know. Have family there. And young married one just bought a starter home, nice, but nothing special in a rather nothing special neighborhood 2 years ago. And oh how prices have increased.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -