Search

affordable food

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20th, 2002, 05:49 PM
marilynn

affordable food

we will be staying at the Pennsylvania hotel in April..what are the food options nearby that are affordable....all 3 meals.....thanks

Old Feb 20th, 2002, 05:57 PM
cd

And the city is........?

Old Feb 20th, 2002, 06:10 PM
marilynn

you can tell im new at this...duh
its Manhatten.....NYC
thanks

Old Feb 20th, 2002, 06:19 PM
Howard

And the next question is: What do you consider affordable?

Old Feb 20th, 2002, 07:23 PM
Owen O'Neill

Whatever you do... avoid the lobby coffee shop of the hotel at all costs! It's a "Lindy's" locatio and horribly overpriced. A business associate asked to meet with me there because he was coming into the city from Penn Station (which is across the street), For two coffee's, a very small OJ and a hard roll it was $13 before tip! There's a mice small take out place on the 33rd Street side of the hotel. It's part of a chain called "Le Croissant Shop" and they have good coffee, reasonably priced croissants etc.. If you like Korean food just go a block or so over to 32nd and Broadway. There are a number of Korean restaurants on 32nd in that area. I would also avoid the Tic Toc Diner in the Hotel New Yorker at 34th and 8th - a bit pricey and so-so food. I've had consistently good breakfasts at reasonable prices at the Skyline Diner on 34th just past the corner of 9th but was dissapointed in the quality of lunch the one time I ate there. Ben's Deli is on 35th or 36th between 7th and 8th - great place for knishes, corned beef sandwiches etc.. Tir na Nog is a contemporary Irish restaurant on 8th between 33rd and 34th - has a good reputation. On 33rd near the corner of 8th is Nick and Stef's - a fairly pricey steakhouse but is reputed to be good. There's a much better assortment if you head up 9th Ave into the 40's and 50's or down 8th Ave a few block into Chelsea but the places I mentioned are all close to the hotel. Please don't limit yourself to dining in that area - the city is full of great restaurants in every conceivable price range but few are in the area of your hotel.

Old Feb 20th, 2002, 07:24 PM
Ken

Marilynn, I'm sure you'll get some good suggestions here for food, and you should also check out zagat.com

Please understand I'm not trying to rain on your parade, or bash a hotel, but I would advise you read the posts here regarding the Pennsylvania hotel.

I'm sure you'll have a wonderful time, please do not hesitate to post again if you have questions.

Old Feb 22nd, 2002, 03:29 PM
topper

ttt

Old Feb 23rd, 2002, 03:17 PM
marilynn

we were told the Pennsylvania had just been redone and was ok....price was great...please comment if anyone has stayed there

Old Feb 24th, 2002, 03:09 PM
visitor

We found a great deli-cafe type of restaurant that is unbelievable. It was called something like the 800 delicatessen on seventh avenue right across from the Sheraton New York Towers. You can get a fried egg sandwich in the morning for $1.50 and at lunch or dinner a sandwich, hamburger, you name it they had it! The food was excellent, with a large menu. You order at the counter, pay at the counter and sit and eat it in the cafe. I asked how late they were open till and he said 2:00 a.m. Great inexpensive place. Next to the New York visitor's center.

Old Feb 24th, 2002, 04:16 PM
Owen O'Neill

I was just tipped opff about a great and inexpensive restaurant not far from there - it's only open for lunch on weekdays - no dinners. It's called Veronica Italian Ristorante and is on W.38th between 7th and 8th on south side of street. They have a cafeteria style line where you select the food and basic seating with formica tables but the food is said to be excellent homemade style Italian and very reasonable in price.

Old Feb 27th, 2002, 08:40 PM
Eileen

A few suggestions of some of my favorites:

(1) Gray's Papaya - on the corner of 6th Ave and West 8th Street in the Village. All they sell is hot dogs and drinks. Dogs are 75 cents each and delicious.

(2) Piadina - on West 10th Street btwn 5th and 6th Aves. in the village - Italian, but not your red sauces and meatballs - terrific risotto, great lamb and ask for a carafe of house wine. Prices are $12 for an entree, and given the atmosphere and food, well worth it.

(3) Just about any deli in the city has breakfast cheap - two eggs and cheese on toast for $1.50 (as mentioned above).

(4) Katz's Delicatessen - on Houston St. at Ludlow Street - a NY Institution. Sure, your pastrami sandwich is $9, but it wll feed 3 people it is so big!

(5) John's Pizzeria - several locations, but a good one to try is on West 44th between Broadway and Eighth Ave. - it is in an old church complete with stained glass ceiling in the main dining area. Some of the best brink oven pizza there is - also, try the "Pete's-A-Rolls" - pizza dough wrapped around vaious fillings in bite size portions!

Enjoy!

Old Mar 1st, 2002, 11:57 AM
marilynn

thanks everyone for your help

Old Mar 5th, 2002, 05:02 AM
Ann

In the late 80's took a bus tour to NYC and the accommodations were at the Pennsylvania. Back then there were long elevator waits but we were on a top floor and our window's view was the Chrysler Bldg - dazzling view at night!
We ate all our breakfasts at Andrews Coffee Shop at the corner of 33rd & 7th - reasonable and better than McDonalds, Owen, or anyone, can you tell me if Andrews Coffee Shops are still around? Thanks!

Old Mar 6th, 2002, 05:17 AM
topper

ttt

Old Mar 9th, 2002, 06:57 AM
Jen

Many years ago, we ate a lot of breakfasts and lunches at Andrews
Coffee Shop (near the Pennsylvania Hotel) and I think there was one around
34th & Madison. Are they still in business as the previous post asked?