Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Affordable, Clean Manhattan Hotel (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/affordable-clean-manhattan-hotel-449444/)

Jennybg Nov 2nd, 2008 01:42 PM

Affordable, Clean Manhattan Hotel

Hello all,

I'm wondering if any of you have any recommendations for an affordable but yet CLEAN hotel in Manhattan. We've done the Times Square/Midtown area hotels, and now we'd like to stay somewhere like SOHO, the Village or Union Square area. We'd like to be close to a subway train and we'd like to be near restaurants, shopping and bars. We will be going the first weekend of December. Can anyone help us out?

NeoPatrick Nov 2nd, 2008 01:48 PM

Some people think affordable is anything under $1000 a night. Others can't afford to go to New York at all, and certainly not if the hotel is going to be over $50 a night. What's YOUR idea of affordable? Sorry, but that term means nothing.
Sadly, December weekends are some of the most expensive nights of the year for NYC hotels.

nytraveler Nov 2nd, 2008 04:37 PM

Agree - you have to give us a $ amount if we're to help at all.

Also- how many is we? Will a regular room with one double bed do - or are there more than 2 of you?

NWWanderer Nov 2nd, 2008 04:49 PM

I have stayed twice at the Park South Hotel at 28th and Park, most recently a couple weeks ago. It's affordable *for NYC* at around $300 per night. Rooms are TINY but clean, and the rate includes continental breakfast and internet access. It's relatively close to Union Square and near a lot of great restaurants, plus there's a subway stop half a block from the hotel.

Anonymous Nov 2nd, 2008 05:27 PM

NYC hotel rates vary tremendously by date. You have chosen one of the most expensive weekends of the year. The hotel where I'm staying for $154 in mid-January is asking for $400 that weekend.

mclaurie Nov 2nd, 2008 05:28 PM

The first weekend in Dec. is not the time to be looking for affordable or being fussy about location. If you can find anything at all for under $300/night that gets a decent review on tripadvisor on the island of Manhattan, grab it. That weekend is perhaps the most expensive weekend of the year MAYBE with the exception of New Year's eve weekend.

There are very few affordable hotels in the areas you mention anyway, unless you're willing to consider one with shared bathrooms like chelsealodge.com

wshotel.com in the village might work but it's very basic. There's a new Hampton Inn in Soho you can check. Some like Sohotel but I'm not among them.

Some other places to check

west-eleventh.com
abingdonguesthouse.com
chelselodgesuites.com

The Comfort Inn Chelsea is another thought.

Trekker5211 Nov 2nd, 2008 06:01 PM

We [4 of us] were originally planning to go to NYC that weekend...but then upon further hotel research, decided it would be much cheaper to go another time, which ended up being January 16 - 19.

However, if you are bent on that weekend, you could get a room at the Embassy Suites near the financial area, which is also somewhat near SoHo, for about $299 a night. That deal is still open I believe....

Jennybg Nov 3rd, 2008 05:47 AM

Thanks all! Sorry for not being specific as to price. Affordable to me for December would be around $300-$350/night. There are 4 of us (2 couples) so we would need 2 double beds. I'm aware of the small rooms but that doesn't bother me. We won't be spending much time in the room. I like the idea of being really close to a subway station. (thanks NWWanderer)

Any more ideas?????

Anonymous Nov 3rd, 2008 06:56 AM

If you click on Trekker's ID, you'll be able to find his earlier thread with exactly the same dates and budget that you have.

mclaurie Nov 3rd, 2008 07:25 AM

You will not find anything on the island of Manhattan to fit your brief for 4 people at anything close to that budget. Your best bet is to stay outside Manhattan. The best location will depend on how you're getting here. If you're flying into JFK or LGA, the Brooklyn Bridge Marriott has a room with 2 double beds for $359 plus tax. It's a short train ride to lower Manhattan.

If you're flying into Newark, the Sheraton on the Hudson is one decent option, directly across from midtown by ferry or bus. Jersey City has some good hotels that are near a PATH train.

mclaurie Nov 3rd, 2008 07:34 AM

Actually, I just found a room at the Cosmopolitan hotel in Tribeca with 2 double beds for $315 plus tax but it's on hotelconxions.com which requires you pay on booking and I don't think it's cancelable.

I personally would prefer the Brooklyn Bridge Marriott, but this is in Manhattan in your budget. Reviews are ok. Have a look at photos here. The first photos are of a room with 2 doubles. http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Rev...Hotel_Tribeca-

MikeT Nov 3rd, 2008 07:58 AM

"There are 4 of us (2 couples) so we would need 2 double beds. I'm aware of the small rooms but that doesn't bother me. We won't be spending much time in the room."

You are literally going to be on top of each other, with no room for luggage. I've seen NYC rooms that were maybe 210 s.f.

Consider one of the suite hotels.

NWWanderer Nov 3rd, 2008 08:45 AM

Oh, heck, there's no way 4 adults and luggage could even *be* in on of the rooms at the Park South at the same time, LOL, so you'd either need to get one of the deluxe rooms there (which are more expensive) or take turns ;-). I'd be surprised if they allow 4 people in their standard rooms, honestly--it doesn't seem like it would be safe from a fire code standpoint.

Jennybg Nov 3rd, 2008 04:29 PM

Well crap! I just booked the Park South today. Ok, are you guys absolutely sure that we won't be able to move with 4 people in a double?!?! Now, understand that I have stayed at the Milford Plaza with 4 people before and had no problem with it. The room was tiny! Although it was 4 girls and not 2 couples.

mclaurie Nov 3rd, 2008 05:27 PM

I think you'll be ok in a double double, but how did you manage to book it when it's not available?

NWWanderer Nov 4th, 2008 11:11 AM

Did you book a superior with 2 doubles, or an executive with 2 doubles? If you're in a superior, good luck fitting 4 people! There's no real closet, just a small cubby hole in the wall, so you'll have to put your suitcases on the floor and climb over them because there's not enough floor space. You'll have to take turns dressing and walking to the bathroom, I think. The bathrooms are small, and there's almost no shelf space and no counter (pedestal sink).

I stayed in a superior double double last year and it was fine for one person (because I had the extra bed to put my stuff on), and it would be ok for 2...but even that would be tight. I can't imagine 4 adults sharing that space.

Jennybg Nov 4th, 2008 05:31 PM

mclaurie and nwwanderer- I booked the reservation yesterday on Park South's website. I got the Executive Double for $369/night, so I hope it works out. do you know how much room the executive doubles have at the foot of the beds?

SusanSDG Nov 4th, 2008 07:13 PM

Not on the subject of $ or room size, but please tell me how it works to have two couples sharing a room? are you all really that comfortable together?

NWWanderer Nov 5th, 2008 07:39 AM

Oh, good, I'm glad you booked the executive--that will give you a little more breathing room. I peeked into one of these rooms when it was being cleaned and it's definitely bigger than the regular rooms, but I couldn't tell you how much more room there is.