Affinina Manhattan, East village or union square hotel

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13th, 2007, 04:42 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Several posters have suggested these two areas for a long weekend trip with my two young adult kids, ages 21 and 28. We have a pretty good budget $400 to $600 pn for a hotel, but prefer a suite where we can stay together. Hotel suggestions please? Also, someone at work suggested the abingdon B & B too. This is our third trip to NYC so we are not going to the Times Square thing-- theater yes, shopping yes. I'm holding a reservation at Affinia Manhattan at the moment so your comments on that would be appreciated too.
Old Sep 13th, 2007, 04:43 AM
Original Poster

I meant to say "We're not going to do the Times Square thing". We'd prefer to explore another area.
Old Sep 13th, 2007, 05:11 AM

So why wouldn't you want to stay at an Affinia hotel? First off, the only hotel on Union Square that might have a suite is the W, and it will be much more expensive. There aren't any upscale hotels in the East Villas, but there are some further Downtown (60 Thompson, Hotel Gansevoort, etc.), and these are trendy but way more expensive. Save the money and spend it on something you'll like more. As long as your hotel is convenient and out of the immediate Times Square area, it doesn't matter where you stay as long as you're not way way downtown, which will be inconvenient and not very interesting for your kids.
Old Sep 13th, 2007, 06:21 AM

There is a Hojo on Houston and that would put you in the heart of the East Village. There is another palce called Off Soho. Unfortunately you would have to do some due dilligence since I do not know anyone who stayed there. If it is acceptable, it would be a funky place to stay.
Old Sep 13th, 2007, 07:09 AM

The off Soho Suites are fine, my parents stay there when they visit as it is close to my apt-- http://www.offsoho.com/

They are more like apartments than a typical suite and while the price has gone up with the gentrification of the lower east side, it is still much cheaper than a suite at the W, THOR or Gansevoort.

Location is good, adjacent to Soho/Nolita/Little Italy/Chinatown/Lower East Side/East Village. Close to the new New Museum on the Bowery.

Tons of restaurants/bars/nightlife, but not a loud street--your kids will have plenty of options for things to do.

F/V train which will take you to West Village and around MOMA area is 2 short blocks away, 6 train that will take you to Upper East Side/Museum Mile area is 3-4 short blocks away.

Old Sep 13th, 2007, 12:01 PM

The Hotel on Rivington on the lower east side and the new Bowery Hotel are both nice and trendy. Whether they have a suite for all of you and whether it will be in your budget, I don't know. The Bowery is getting fabulous reviews on tripadvisor.
http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Rev..._New_York.html

I wouldn't chose the Affinia Manhattan. It's near Penn Station and MSG. Yes, it's just north of Chelsea and it's a suite hotel, but if you want a different neighborhoody location, that's not it.

Abingdonguesthouse.com and
west-eleventh.com are both nice village b & b's in good locations, but not sure they will be comfortable for you all. Are you 3? 4? Are you all women? Will 2 share beds?

You haven't really told us what it is (location wise) you want.

Old Sep 13th, 2007, 01:59 PM

THOR (Hotel on Rivington) is really sparse and cheaply furnished--I think it is overpriced for what it is. If IKEA sold do-it-yourself hotels, THOR would be one of their models!

The Bowery is supposed to be nice--good location, Abington is as well, but I think you may have to get separate rooms.

There is also the recently renovated Gramercy Park Hotel. They definately have suites. The location is good, as it is on the park and close to Gramercy Tavern, Tabla, 11 Madison, and near the Union Square area. Not great for mass transit--only 6 train is close.