Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Affinia Dumont Jr. Suite or Benjamin 1 Bed Suite for family of 4 in NYC

Old Jul 20th, 2006, 06:59 PM
Original Poster

I've narrowed it down to the Benjamin 1 Bed Suite for $590 total 2 nights in August OR Affinia Dumont Jr. Suite for $531 total. The Benjamin has good reviews on TripAdvisor with a few not so good, and the Affinia Dumont has almost all good reviews, with the exception of about 2. Any pros or cons for these two. The Benjamin sounds more luxurious, but the Dumont sounds like it has better views. Thanks in advance.

Old Jul 20th, 2006, 07:08 PM

We stayed at Affinia Dumont over July 4th weekend. The staff was great. The room was beautiful and clean. An added bonus was the small kitchenette for our use and two queen size beds. The hardest part was getting everyone up in the morning as they loved the beds!! We got a deal over a holiday weekend through Travelzoo (179 per night). Our view was Ok. Quite near the subway too.You could request a view of the river I am sure.
Enjoy!
Old Jul 21st, 2006, 11:14 PM

For that price I think you could do much better at the Rihga Royal. Their suites are gigantic and luxurious. 54th between 6&7.
Old Jul 21st, 2006, 11:24 PM

I'm so sorry. I know you didn't ask for another hotel. It must be getting late...

There have been so many mentions of both of your hotel choices on this board that you can probably find your answer here with a little searching. both are supposed to be very good. Please report back to us!
Old Jul 22nd, 2006, 01:28 AM

To the person who mentioned the Rihga - last I heard they were remodeling with no hot room service meals.

We love, love, love the Benjamin. We spent a week there, this past April. They catered to all of our needs, great views, beautiful suite with kitchenette. Modern, elegant, grand location. Check their website to see if you can take advantage of any specials.
Old Jul 22nd, 2006, 08:38 AM

Traveltess, is the Benjamin good for two adults who want to sleep in separate rooms? I don't need a kitchen, but we like to sleep separately, yet share a suite. Thanks!
Old Jul 22nd, 2006, 07:58 PM

No way, Cabo...the other room has a sofabed and it's not fit for king or queen. We had the staff place several duvets on top of the mattress so it would be comfortable for our daughter (we only took one child with us for our most recent trip). If the adult is particular about having a comfy bed, it's not for him/her.
Old Jul 22nd, 2006, 08:30 PM

Ouch! I stayed at a hotel in Kansas City recently that was rather new and had a sofabed with what could only be described as a gauze pad. Unbelievable. Prisoners do better. Pets do MUCH better.

FYI - the Rihga has the most comfortable situation: two queens in a huge, huge bedroom, a comfortable sofabed in the living room .... AND THE MOST COMFORTABLE COT THAT THEY ROLLED IN!! I have never slept in or on anything as wonderful.

And one and a half bathrooms.

Thanks!
Old Jul 23rd, 2006, 01:43 AM

Cabo - do you work for the Rihga?? LOL! As I said before - they're undergoing a MAJOR reconstruction. Check out their website. You'd have to be crazy to stay there right now.
Old Jul 23rd, 2006, 09:23 AM

I know. I can't help myself. I'll stop. I thought they were renovating when I was there - but maybe they weren't in full swing...i think it was November. I guess I just could not get over how it was three times nicer and more spacious than any hotel I have been in for the price - especially the aspect of having comfortable enough room for probably 6-8 people to sleep - not that anyone would! I'll find another "cause".