Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Affinia Dumont (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/affinia-dumont-720879/)

CandaceJ Jul 14th, 2007 07:35 PM

Affinia Dumont

Can anyone tell me about the Affinia Dumont Hotel. I read reviews on Trip Advisor, all seemed good. I have not seen this hotel mentioned here. Would like to hear from anyone who has stayed there?

Seamus Jul 14th, 2007 07:46 PM

Stayed there a couple times, last about two or three years ago. Thought it was just fine and would stay there again. Rooms were good size, and it was nice to have the kitchen. We didn't cook meals but did have breakfast and snacks in the room. Don't recall what price we paid, and NYC hotels in general have become much more expensive, but it was good value for the money and less than most of the chain hotels.

TxTravelPro Jul 14th, 2007 08:00 PM

I personally think Affinia properties are some of the best deals in NYC.
Stayed at 3 different properties and always check availability at their properties first when planning a NYC trip.

Flame123 Jul 15th, 2007 02:04 AM

Stayed there for 9 nights about a year ago. Loved it.

Fantastic HUGE rooms which included a full kitchen, great bath and sitting area, as well as great big bed with fluffy covers and pillows.

Staff were wonderful, very attentive and courteous. Good location in an untouristy area.

Highly recommended.

mclaurie Jul 15th, 2007 06:45 AM

"I have not seen this hotel mentioned here"

I suggested it in your original post.
;) If you put the name in the text search box, there are 47 posts in which it's mentioned.

CandaceJ Jul 15th, 2007 08:28 AM

I would like easy access to subway, since we will br traveling back and forth to the Open. We also will be seeing a couple of Broadway shows, shopping... doing the typical tourist things. Most important to me is a nice CLEAN HOTEL, with a decent size bathroom room! (Just had a bad experience in Hawaii with hotel)
At this point I am thinking either the Affinia Dumont or the Sofitel. I had thought that we could get a room for around $300.00. I will pay more if need be. We will be in NYC for a full week.

nytraveler Jul 15th, 2007 09:30 AM

I can;t imagine you will get the Sofitel for anything close to $300 per night. (Prepaid, non-refundable rates for $400 are available for some nights- it really depends on your exact dates).

And the Affinia Dumont is looking like rates from $260 to $300 plus tax for the end of August for a studio (2 queen beds). Suites naturally would be significantly more.

If you know your dates I urge you to reserve ASAP as the better rooms will go soon.

mclaurie Jul 15th, 2007 12:32 PM

The Sofitel is a better location for theater and "typical tourist things." The benefit of the Affinia Dumont (or any of the Affinia hotels really) is the extra space, convenience of having a kitchen and the price.

CandaceJ Jul 15th, 2007 05:45 PM

How far away is the Affinia Dumont from the subway we would need to take to the Open? What restaurants would be near by?

mclaurie Jul 16th, 2007 04:09 AM

Hopstop.com is a website that gives you directions (and estimated time and distance) between places. There are options for more walking/less transfers vs. less walking/more transfers. From the Dumont, you could either walk 7-10 minutes to Grand Central and take one subway train or you could get on a subway a block from the hotel and change trains at Grand Central to the stadium.

The Affinia's Shelburne Murray Hill is a few blocks closer to Grand Central. While it's not as newly renovated as the Dumont, I think the price is low enough to get a 1 bedroom suite there for the price of a studio at the Dumont.

If you like the idea of a suite with space and kitchen but want something newer, the Alex is another option. Not sure about their prices though. The Affinia's top hotel is the Benjamin and it's an 8-10 walk to Grand Central from the other direction.

As to restaurants, menupages.com will give you options in any area. Look at east 30's for the Dumont or the Shelburne.

TxTravelPro Jul 16th, 2007 06:10 AM

Mclaurie... thanks for that website!!!!

CandaceJ Jul 16th, 2007 11:29 AM

Mc Laurie thank you for all your helpful information.
I really need to decide on a hotel in the next 48 hours! As far as the hotel a kitchen is not that important... it will be just myself, granddaughter. We would like a spacious room with nice size bath. My problems is that I am a bit concerned about getting back and forth to the US Open! If I can just take one train, that would be perfect.
Mc Laurie, if you were going to take your 14 year old GD to New York for a week where would you stay? This trip is for her, we want to do all the fun stuff teenagers like to do!

mclaurie Jul 17th, 2007 05:25 AM

Your question is simple but the answer is not. ;) Let's start with the obvious that I don't know you or your granddaughter and we may not have the same taste. Let's add that I wouldn't share the concern you have about traveling to the tennis. I also don't know how many times in a week you're going to the tennis and how many shows you plan to see. But teens like the Times Square area which is where the shows are. So I guess my first inclination would be to find something closer to the theater district but with 2 proper beds and try to stay under $400 (the Sofitel is 419- 434 for a room with 2 TWIN beds and they won't guarantee a high floor). Unfortunately, some of the hotels in this area that I like the best (the Michelangelo, the Blakely, the London) either don't have 2 beds available or are very pricey. If price were no object, I'd pick the London for a suite near but not in TS. It's about $450 plus tax/night.
http://www.thelondonnyc.com/

More practical options
>The Doubletree Guest Suites Times Square has a double double (1 bedroom suite) for $305-379 plus tax depending on whether you want to pay in advance or get a room with a higher floor with view etc. From here you'd have a 5 minute walk to the subway to the tennis stadium. This is a hotel that will be filled with families. It's considered 4* but may not have the luxury you want given you started out asking about the Ritz Carlton. It does have good space and your GD will likely enjoy the location.

>The Marriott Marquis is right IN Times Square and is known for large rooms, good views, good soundproofing on the windows, and happens to be the home of the discount TKTS booth for now. They have a senior/AAA rate of $297/night for a double double. Again it's 4*, but not really luxurious although plenty of restaurant options etc. It's the home of the only rotating restaurant in NYC. (food not very good but views wonderful so nice for lunch or a drink or their dessert buffet).

>Courtyard Marriott Fifth Ave. is ON Fifth Ave. & 40th st. so ~ 2 blocks to the subway, a few blocks further to the theaters but still walkable and $280 then $237 for a double double (this is a senior rate or a pre purchase rate).
http://www.marriott.com/hotels/trave...-fifth-avenue/
This location would be a bit less frenetic than the 2 above but still not far from Times Square.

If a suite is appealing but the Doubletree Times Square is not, several of the Affinia hotels would work well.
>The Benjamin is considered their nicest hotel. It's on east 50th st. so a bit further to the train and theaters but not out of the question. I think if you go this route, you might as well get a 1 bedroom suite (rather than a studio).

>The Shelburne Murray Hill is the Affinia hotel closest to Grand Central, I think very nice and happens to be the cheapest 1 bedroom for that time frame at around $300/night if you pay in advance (you may be able to get that rate without paying in advance on quikbook.com).

>The Affinia Gardens is their most recently redone property I think and it's very near Bloomingdales and lots of other good teen shopping (H & M, Diesel, Zara, Levi's etc.) . I think I saw a rate of $332 for 2 double beds in a 1 bedroom suite. If I were going for a suite hotel, I think that or the Benjamin would be my picks, but they are further from the subway stop so you'll have to change or walk further.
www.affinia.com
While the Dumont is a nice hotel, it's location is not really as good as the others I've mentioned for your purposes (imo).

There are lots of other good hotels that I haven't mentioned but many are either booked or don't have rooms with 2 beds. I'm assuming you don't want to be paying these sort of prices to share a bed or have your GD sleep on a rollaway or sofabed.

Brookside Jul 17th, 2007 06:46 AM

Concur with all recommendations about Affinia properties. Affinia properties are known for their excellent service too - they will spoil you for all other hotels while in New York.

Wanted to add that the Affinia 50, at 155 E. 50th, is very close to the the #7 subway stop - about 2 blocks. From there it's a simple transfer from Grand Central to Flushing.

mclaurie Jul 17th, 2007 09:11 AM

To avoid confusion, the Affinia 50 is not <i>very</i> near the #7. It is very near a subway stop from which you could get either the E or the 6 which connect with a transfer to the 7. The Affinia 50 is not far from the Benjamin, and I thought b/w the 2, the Benjamin offers more luxury for LESS money (~ $100) for a 1 bedroom suite during this time. Yes, a surprise.

CandaceJ Jul 18th, 2007 08:32 AM

I have decided on the Marriott Marquis Time Square. My husband had enought Marriott reward points for two free nights! This hotel seems like it would be right in the middle of everything. My GD things that would be a great place to stay! I told her we would be taking the subway back and forth to the Open, she was not to sure about that either. Is there one train that will take us back and forth?
Also what would be some fun things for us to do on the weekend? We both like to shop, love good Italian food. Maybe take a tour of the city, or a harbor cruise? Check out SoHo or Tribeca?

doug_stallings Jul 18th, 2007 08:42 AM

From the Marriott, there is NOT one train that takes you to the Open. You take the Times Square shuttle from 42nd/Broadway (2 blocks from your hotel) to Grand Central and then the #7 to the Open. It's a fairly easy transfer, so I don't think you should be concerned that you can't take a single train ride; and the transfer is free. (The shuttle is a 90-second ride anyway, so keep it all in perspective.)

I would have more strongly endorsed the Dumont since it's near alot of good local restaurants that aren't as touristy or as busy as those in the Times Square area, but the Marriott has a decent---though frenetic and crowded---location. However, I prefer the one on Lexington, which is within easy walking distance of Grand Central and would be more convenient for your plans.

But you are not making a bad choice here. I just really dislike the Times Square area, despite its proximity to Broadway shows, because of the congestion, traffic, and expense.

I would suggest you make some restaurant reservations for nights you aren't going to be at the Open late. That's a surprisingly busy week in NYC.

ellenem Jul 18th, 2007 10:03 AM

&lt;&lt;From the Marriott, there is NOT one train that takes you to the Open. You take the Times Square shuttle from 42nd/Broadway (2 blocks from your hotel) to Grand Central and then the #7 to the Open. &gt;&gt;

Sorry Doug, you are incorrect (unless there's been a cservice change). At the same location where you can catch the S shuttle that Doug mentioned, you can ALSO catch the #7 train on a lower level. (In fact, late at night the #7 train replaces the S.)

So, yes, at the 42nd St/Broadway (Times Square) subway station, you can catch the #7 train, which is the only subway that actually goes to the tennis center.

doug_stallings Jul 18th, 2007 12:58 PM

Ok ... Could I be more of an idiot here? Duh. Of course you can get the #7 train at Times Square. I think I need to take a deep breath and not write anything more today.

CandaceJ Jul 18th, 2007 02:17 PM

I am glad to know that it will be easy for us to get back and forth.
Thank you