Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page > Advise pls: where to stay between Grand Canyon NR and Zion

Advise pls: where to stay between Grand Canyon NR and Zion

Aug 26th, 2005, 07:00 AM
Original Poster

Advise pls: where to stay between Grand Canyon NR and Zion

hi, I am new to this forum. It is a wonderful place to gather all the travle information. Thank you!

We will go to Las Vegas for several days. Then will drive to Grand Canyon (South Rim) and stay for 2 nights. On the third day, will drive to North Rim, hopefully will have a couple of hours there. On the fourth day, will visit Zion. I am not sure where to stay between North Rim and Zion since I don't think I have time to arrive on Zion at the end of the third day. Could anyone provide any suggestion about where to stay. Want to book in advance. Thanks a lot!
Aug 26th, 2005, 08:46 AM

If you have such a short time in the area, I would skip the North Rim of the Grand Canyon for several reasons. IMHO, you get the best views of the Grand Canyon at the south rim. If you go to the N. Rim you will miss driving by Lake Powell (Glen Canyon National Recreational area) near Page, AZ. The road from Jacob Lake to the North Rim is a very slow drive and if you get stuck behind an RV it will take even longer. Then you have to turn around and drive this slow road back out on the same day. That's a lot of time in the vehicle!

I'd say go from the South Rim to Bryce Canyon National Park and spend the night there. That will be about 290 miles and a 6 hour drive. You should be there in time to visit a few of the overlooks. On day 4 it's just 86 miles and about a 2 hour drive to Zion.

OR you could drive the 255 miles (5 1/2 hours) from the S. Rim to Zion and spend two nights and have one full day to enjoy the park.

But I would really consider skipping the N. Rim.

Utahtea

Search this Thread