Advice on Oakland Airport Hotels

Old Mar 3rd, 2003, 03:26 AM
Original Poster

Advice on Oakland Airport Hotels

Looking for some input from someone who has stayed at the Oakland Aiport hotels with free shuttle.
Old Mar 3rd, 2003, 04:06 AM

Hi Mike, we stayed at the Park Plaza and it was nice. Also had a laundry room which we needed badly after a 2 week trip. Had a free shuttle to Jack London square, where we had a very nice waterfront dinner. FYI, Judy
Old Mar 3rd, 2003, 09:08 AM

We've stayed at the Hilton and at Park Place which both have the park and fly service and will shuttle to and from.

Both are average hotels. We stayed on Sat nights and they are both located near a community cneter or someother building that houses Sat night dance parties that are allowed to blast really loud low bass music that will keep you up very late. Not the hotel's fault but just a warning for Sat night stays.

Park Place makes you leave your keys which we did not like. Rooms that were non smoking reeked of smoke, old smoke. The rooms were otherwise clean but stark and clearly it's an older hotel.

The Hilton had a great front desk staff. Hotel is clean and other than being kept up late from the music the stay was fine.
Old Mar 3rd, 2003, 11:57 AM
retired_readytogo

DO NOT stay at Days Inn (across freeway from airport)
It was dirty, rundown, and I did not feel safe. Some one drunk and fighting in the hallway. I called trhe desk with no response from desk clerk for 20 min.
I have stayed in many Days Inn across the country and usually pleased--This was the worst...

Old Mar 4th, 2003, 03:33 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the input. At the rates they are charging, I think we will wait it out in the airport. Will not get there until 1am and our flight leaves at 7am.
Old Mar 4th, 2003, 10:11 PM

Good idea - but if you change your mind -- DO NOT stay at the Park Plaza. I used to have to visit Oakland 2 or 3 times a month and needed to be near the airport. I usually stayed at the Hilton or in San Leandro. But once I ended up in the Park Plaza. I asked for an upper floor room but they put me on the 2nd floor right off a partial roof area. I woke in the middle of the night as two theives were leaving my room. Thank God I didn't wake up until they were on their way out. Apparently they came in through the window and left out the door.

They got my wallet and left everything else - probably because they were interrupted when I started to wake up. The hotel management was totally unresponsive - did not offer any assistance (I had no money, credit cards or identification left), would not cash a check (I had been there 2 days and they knew who I was!), would not call the police - I had to do it myself, and were unwilling to speak to the investigators who came. Eventually they did and the police told me they were very lax about keys, etc. -- at that time they did not have electronic locks so I don't know what the situation is now.

BUT the management was beyond belief.