Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Advice on New Orleans Hotels Please! (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/advice-on-new-orleans-hotels-please-25833/)

Marilyn May 15th, 1998 05:25 PM

Advice on New Orleans Hotels Please!

We are staying 5 days in September and want to be in the French Quarter. I would love a hotel with a beautiful courtyard. We are in our 40's and meeting some friends there. Thanks for helping with our vacation!

JOAN DOYLE May 16th, 1998 05:09 PM

Dear Marilyn: New Orleans in September should be nice--though it will still be hot and sticky. Your best hotel bet--and one that meets the requirements you've listed--would be Hotel Maison de Ville at 727 Toulouse street, between Royal and Bourbon and near Jackson Square and St. Louis Cathedral. There is a good restaurant in the hotel and a continental breakfast is served in your room, I understand. The phone number is 1-800-634-1600. I live across the Lake myself and prefer the Marriott when I can afford it; but I think you'd like Maison de Ville. Let me know if I can help in any other way. As we like to say down here, "Y'll come, now!" Joan

kat May 18th, 1998 08:17 AM

Marilyn -- The hotel for you in New Orlean's French Quarter is Soniat House with, not one, but TWO gorgeously lush patios. The service is superb, the atmosphere unique in the U.S. and the over-all tone is one of a by-gone (and more romantic) era. Soniat House: 1133 Chartres Street, Phone 504-522-0570,
rates $145 - $275. Best bar in the Quarter: Napoleon House (have a Brandy Alexander or Stinger),. There are many wonderful restaurantes in New Orleans; I like Bayona, NOLA, Galatoire's (go early, reservations not accepted and the line can be long) and the Bon Ton Cafe.

Dick Hardy May 18th, 1998 11:02 AM

WE had very good luck with Grenoble House. It's a combination of three townhouses with all suites. On the edge of the quarter. Continental breakfast only but go to Petunia's on St. Louis for Pain Perdu (French Toast, NO style). You'll think you've died and gone to heaven. Good lighter, and cheaper food, as Gumbo House. We had great dinners at Arnaud's and Broussard's. Commander'Palace is supposed to be the best, but make reservations NOW!

bkluvsNola Jul 27th, 2008 01:40 PM

You'll be able to dine at 5 star restaurants for cheap if you take advantage of this deal:

http://www.neworleansonline.com/news...arysummer.html

With the beginning of the summer season in New Orleans, once again more than two dozen of the city’s famous restaurants are running their money-saving specials for lunch and dinner. It is known as A COOLinary Summer, and participating restaurants will offer three-course lunches at $20 or less and three-course dinners at $30 or less between July 1 and September 30.

This special event highlights the city's unparalleled lineup of restaurants and introduces foodies from all over to New Orleans unique Creole and Cajun cuisines, as well as to world-famous steakhouses and seafood bistros.

The participating restaurants, 28 in all, are as follows:

7 on Fulton
Bacco
Bayona
Bombay Club
Bourbon House Seafood
Brennan's Restaurant
Broussard's
Bubba Gump Shrimp Co.
Cafe' Adelaide
Commander's Palace
Dickie Brennan's Steakhouse
Dominique's at the Maison Dupuy Hotel
Grand Isle
La Cote Brasserie
Le Cafe
Martinique Bistro
Maximo's Italian Grill
Melánge
Michaul's Live Music Restaurant
Mr. B's Bistro
Palace Cafe
Pascal's Manale
Red Fish Grill
Restaurant Cuvee
The Pelican Club
Tomatillos
Tujague's Restaurant
Wolfe's in the Warehouse

wyatt92 Jul 27th, 2008 01:49 PM

Why did you top a 10 year old thread?

Brahmama Jul 30th, 2008 06:36 AM

That's funny, but I have to admit, I've been guilty as well!

Anyway, GREAT post about the Restaurant Deal. Darn it, we'll be there in October and will just have missed it. But I bet a lot of lurkers will see it and benefit by it.

katie29 Aug 7th, 2008 12:08 PM

Haha, I must be a lurker! I was just looking to get some restaurant recommendations for when I'll be there in 2 weeks. I'm glad they posted that link . . . !