Advice on Las Vegas-Yosemite-San Francisco

Old Aug 10th, 2009, 11:06 PM
Original Poster

Advice on Las Vegas-Yosemite-San Francisco

Hello Everybody,
I need help with figuring out whether, with 2 weeks until departure time, it makes sense to take this trip. We live in Philadelphia and love going to the West Coast, but could just as easily stay close to home this year and rent a beach house for a week. If we do take an"airplane" trip, we thought we might go to LV where I think we could still find cheap flights. My 16 year old son is a huge beatles fan and would love to see "love", the Cirque du soleil show in Las Vegas. We also have a 14 year old son who would probably enjoy being in LV. My husband and I are not gamblers and don't have much of an interest in going to LV, but would do it for say, 2 days. Then we thought that we could drive to Yosemite, where none of us has ever been. Accomodations seem somewhat pricey there and we are not that experienced as campers, so I would need some advice on where to stay.
My husband and I have been to San Francisco many times, but not since 2001. We love the bay area and would be able to figure out that part of the trip. Total time for this trip would be, I think, 10 days out west with 2 travel days.
So, my questions are is this a doable trip in terms of the driving distance involved? Are there other places to drive to from LV to fill up 10 days of travelling? Lastly, is it too ambitious to try to pull together a trip like this in less than 2 weeks? I really would appreciate any responses.
Thanks
Old Aug 11th, 2009, 05:00 AM

Have you considered going to the National Parks in Utah? Zion is just 3 hours from Vegas, Bryce is an hour and a half from there. Death Valley is two and a half hours and can be done easily in a day trip from Vegas if you go when it isn't too hot. We've gone north on 95, west at Beaty, stopped at Rhyolite for the ghost town experience, then down into DV and back through Parumph, in time for a show. For a bit more spectacular go to Grand Canyon, about 6 hours from Vegas. If you get a good rate on hotels in Vegas, you could stay there and spend no day time in town, just do day trips, Valley of Fire state park is great, and about an hour away, Red Rock Canyon is less than an hour as is Hoover Dam. The ride to San Francisco is very long so if you do decide to go that way, you might want to check in to flying out of there. The accommodations in the NP's are not too pricy and cancellations open up all the time. Go the the www.nps.gov site and click on the parks for the particulars.
Old Aug 11th, 2009, 07:08 AM
Original Poster

Hi,
Thanks for responding to my post. I would be interested in going to some of the Utah national parks, but I am not sure that I can get the rest of my crew to agree to that plan. When you say that the ride to SF is very long, do you mean mileage, time spent driving or both? I think that my husband had said that the mileage was around 550 miles, which, admittedly, is not around the corner, but didn't sound horrible to us, if we broke it up with a stop in Yosemite. Would love to get more feedback about this trip idea. Thanks.
Old Aug 11th, 2009, 07:41 AM

I have heard from a good friend who saw "Love" in Vegas that it was a really poorly done show. So check some objective reviews before going. For a true Beatles fan (like me) the best experience is to catch one of the good Beatles tribute bands that tour the country when they are in your area.
I vote for Yosemite-----it is so stunningly beautiful, how could anyone not go? For families, the Yosemite Lodge located in the Yosemite Valley is a great place to stay. You will need reservations months in advance so maybe that works better for you for next year.
Old Aug 11th, 2009, 08:34 AM

The drive from Vegas to Yosemite to SF is done all the time. If you are ever on Trip Advisor it seems that every Brit wants to do this trip.

You can spend the first night in Lee Vining which is relatively inexpensive. Have a meal at the Whoa Nellie Deli. Not your average deli to be sure.

The next 2 days you can drive to the valley and explore the rest of the park. Valley lodging can be spendy, B&B for 4 in curry village is $214 and a standard room for 4 in curry village is $180, but you can exit the park on the west side and maybe get something cheaper at the Cedar Lodge or Yosemite View Lodge in El Portal. If you stay 1 night in the valley you can head toward the south gate at the end of the 2 day and stay in Oakhurst. This would give you a chance to see the Mariposa Grove and Wawona at the south end of the park.

Hold onto your park ticket, it's good for 7 days so you can eneter the park without additional charges.

Then head out to SF.