Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Advice for trip to Zion plus more in early November (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/advice-for-trip-to-zion-plus-more-in-early-november-647442/)

mccarder Sep 18th, 2006 07:30 PM

Advice for trip to Zion plus more in early November

I've been reading lots on this site, but still looking for more advice. We are a family of 3. Our daughter is almost 6. We are planning to fly into Las Vegas the evening of Nov 2 and fly home late afternoon on Nov 11. About 8.5 days. Zion is the main purpose of the trip - never been there. Have been to Bryce. Also want to visit Best Friends Animal Sanctuary in Kanab. Wanted to also stay a few days at a ranch where there would be activites that our 6 year-old daughter could participate in. The Zion Ponderosa is out since it essentially stops all activities end of October. So now I am thinking of going to Stagecoach Trails Guest Ranch in Yucca, Arizona - about 2.5 hours south of Las Vegas. We want to minimize driving time as much as possible. I would say no more then 3 hours a day. This is my 1st attempt at an itinerary:
Thursday night: Las Vegas
Friday: Drive to Zion stopping at Valley of Fire on way. Probably stay Desert Pearl in Springdale.
Sat - Mon in Zion. To Best Friends on Sunday? How far - should we stay near there for one night? Could do Coral Pink Sand Dunes also.
Mon or Tues head to Ranch in AZ. How far? Break trip up and stay near Hoover dam one night and do that?
Tues - Thurs at Ranch
Fri - head back to LV to spend one night and part of next day before flying back late afternoon on Sat.
Would appreciate any feedback. Thank you.

mccarder Sep 19th, 2006 07:34 PM

topping and hoping to get some advice...

Dayle Sep 20th, 2006 07:11 AM

Hi Mccarder,

I'm trying to remember how long the drive is between Zion canyon and Kanab, I think about 1 3/4 hours.

Coral Pink Sand Dunes are a nice place for a short visit/picnic, maybe about an hour or so. Don't bother going if the weather is nasty. The dunes aren't very pretty without at least partial sun on them.

Going to Best Friends leaves you with only one day in Zion, which I don't think you will feel is enough. Also, I don't really think the drive between Zion and the ranch isn't do long that it needs to be broken up.

Is there an age limit at the ranch for activities? 6 might be a bit young?

TheWeasel Sep 20th, 2006 10:53 AM

What kind of ranch activities are you interested in?

This place http://www.bonniesprings.com/ranch.html
is about 30 minutes from Las Vegas, but I don't know if it's what you're looking for. I've never been so I can't vouch for it, but it would save you some driving.

TheWeasel Sep 20th, 2006 10:57 AM

Just saw that the ranch I just mentioned has an age limit for horseback riding. Must be 6 years old - looks like the Stagecoach Trails in Yucca has a similar policy. Will your daughter be 6 by November?

mccarder Sep 20th, 2006 01:05 PM

Thanks for the replies.
Our daughter will be shy of 6 by a few weeks. But I've already emailed the folks at Stagecoach Trails and they said they would work with her in the arena first and if comfortable will take her on the trails with a lead line to a wrangler's horse. I think that will work out - she is tall & mature for her age (at least that's what everyone constantly tells me). I read some things about the Bonnie Springs place that made me not want to go there.
You're right, Dayle, I definitely want at least 2 full days in Zion (or 1 full day and 2 half days).

mccarder Sep 22nd, 2006 08:05 AM

Modified Itinerary. How does this sound?

Thursday night:
Fly in. Spend night in Las Vegas.

Friday:
Straight to Kanab and Best Friends. Spend night in Kanab.

Sat:
To Zion. Spend night in Springdale.

Sun:
Zion and Springdale

Mon:
Morning in Zion, then head to Valley of Fire. Then on to Hoover Dam. Spend night in Boulder City?

Tue:
To Stagecoach Trails Ranch in Yucca.

Wed & Thurs:
Ranch

Friday:
Morning at Ranch then head back to Vegas. Spend night in Vegas

Sat:
Vegas till fly out late afternoon.