Advice for Monterey Aquarium

May 17th, 2018, 04:49 PM
Original Poster

Advice for Monterey Aquarium

Hi all,

We have an unexpected opportunity to spend a free night in Monterey with free passes to the Aquarium so we are going to drive from Berkeley Saturday morning and come back sometime Sunday. Currently, I'm thinking of going to the Aquarium around 3 pm Saturday and back at 10 am Sunday. We usually go in the winter to avoid traffic and crowds and would like to minimize both (ok, everyone can laugh here) but maximize our time. We are also thinking of pushing ourselves to arrive at Point Lobos at 8 Sunday morning and take an hour's walk around the sea before going on to coffee and Aquarium.

Thoughts? and thanks in advance.
May 17th, 2018, 06:46 PM

That sounds kind of ideal. I went a couple of weeks ago on a Saturday, and it was super crowded and annoying until later in the afternoon. The only thing you might miss is the 10am feedings on Sunday. But Point Lobos is a fair alternative.
May 18th, 2018, 12:04 PM

Don't miss the fish feeding. You may have to adjust your timing.
May 19th, 2018, 07:22 AM
Original Poster

Thanks AJ and Doug. We are now our standard hour behind in leaving our home in SF Bay area.

The Plan is just for an hour's walk along Point Lobos (foot injury), but now has been extended to maybe include sunset picnic on the ocean just above Asilomar.
May 21st, 2018, 04:20 AM

If you need to park, I'd recommend arriving as early as possible. The parking lots at Point Lobos really do fill up, even on weekends. Asilomar closes at 8.
May 25th, 2018, 07:34 AM
Original Poster

We ended up having a really nice weekend. We went to the Aquarium Saturday afternoon---it was crowded by the Kelp Forest (our favorite),
but almost empty in the Baja California exhibit, which is magical. Then we went back to the Kelp Forest around 4:00 to watch the feeding. The noise level was down because a very good docent was speaking. It was fun to watch the diver feeding all the fish -- even though I felt sorry for the little fish that constituted the food. (I know, laws of nature etc). We stayed until almost 5, and by then the area was empty.

Sunday we arrived at the entrance to Point Lobos at 7:45 and were third in line to get into the park. We drove all the way around the loop, parked near the trail for Bird Island. There were many harbor seals and some young pups nursing, then a whole convention of conmarons (sp). We had the park to ourselves almost, walked all the way to the Point of Point Lobos and back. After that quiet two hours (well,okay, by the end it was getting more crowded), we decided not to go back to the Aquarium and come back another time for the 10am sea otter feeding.

Thanks all, for your comments and advice.
May 25th, 2018, 08:12 AM

Sounds like a lovely weekend.

Search this Thread