Advice for Chicago visit Oct. 15-25...

Old Aug 5th, 1999, 10:23 AM
TroyMan

Advice for Chicago visit Oct. 15-25...

I will be tripping to Chicago in Mid October until the end of month for first time. How isthe weather generally during ths time. Any need to bring a parka? What kind of special things happen in Chicago this time of year? I will be staying at the Westin River North. Any good restraunts and sights near by? Your advice will be a great help. I like to be prepared for a trip so time is not wasted. But I'm also really concerned about the weather as I am a Southern Californian and will be alone for this trip. Thanks!

Old Aug 5th, 1999, 10:42 AM
kristi

If you're from Southern California, you might think you need a parka, but it usually isn't parka weather in October, although I have not so fond memories of snow on Halloween. I would pack a warm coat and a couple of sweaters. My grandma, also from S. California, always seems to need more clothes than we do when she visits.

The Chicago Tribune's web site(www.chicagotribune.com) has information about what's going on in the coming weeks in Chicago, plus links to www.metromix.com and www.chicago.digitalcity.com where there's info about dining, theater, etc. There aren't any annual festivals or events that I can think of; most of the festivals are held in the summer.

Old Aug 5th, 1999, 12:01 PM
misty

Try the Hudson Club for dinner, good food and really neat (old airplane) atomsphere. They will serve you "flights" of wine- about 5 different sampler wines of the same category. Not too expensive either. The Redhead Lounge is fun for jazz and Blue Chicago is super if you really love blues. Go to the Aquarium if it fits (whales, peguins, and a dolphin show). The Chicago Museum of Art is fascinating, including paintings even non-artgoers will recognize. Of course the top of The Sears Tower is a great view, Buckingham Fountain for the tourists, and The House of Blues might have a good band. Harry Carey's is FUN for sports fans and those who just like to drink.

Old Aug 5th, 1999, 10:10 PM
Lisa Howard

Check out the "Architectural Boat Tour." It is an interesting 1 1/2 hr. tour on the waterways and the guide talks about the history of Chicago and the awesome architecture. I thought it was fascinating! The Art Institute of Chicago is a must too!

Old Aug 6th, 1999, 06:19 AM
Kim

As stated above, it will be chilly in October, but really not that bad. October is actually one of my favorite months weather-wise. I recommend Green Mill for jazz and B.L.U.E.S. on Halsted for (obviously) blues. When you get in town pick up a Reader - they're free all over downtown - and that will have listings of all entertainment and any events that are going on around town and the suburbs. They come out on Thursdays. Any other info feel free to contact me and I'll try to help.

Old Aug 6th, 1999, 06:45 AM
Howard

No one has mentioned two of the best things in the Chicago area:
1. The Art Institute (one of the best museums in this country).
2. Frank Lloyd Wright's home/studio and other buildings he designed in suburban Oak Park.
Archtecturally, Chicago's a great city for just walking around and looking.

Old Aug 6th, 1999, 10:27 AM
Julie

I have lived in Chicago for my entire life. The begining of October is my favorite time of year here - it is usually warm during the day, but cool at night. I would definately suggest brining a jacket and some warm clothes, but I would also be prepared for temperate weather (55-60 degrees).

There are a zillion wonderful restaurants near the Westin River North as the River North area is loaded with upscale restaurants. Try Vong on Hubbard St.(French/Thai - it is new and very highly rated). There are also other great restaurants on Hubbard St. - you can't really go wrong with many of them. There are also several upscale jazz and blues clubs nearby...

Have a great time!

Old Aug 7th, 1999, 12:17 PM
Raeona

Skip the top of the Sears Tower. Instead, head for the Hancock just before sunset; go up to the lounge (the level ABOVE the 95th restaurant) and enjoy a drink in a comfortable chair and pleasant lounge with the whole city splayed out around you -- for no more cost than the price of your beverage. Restaurant ideas: Chicago pizza is a must - at Pizzaria Uno or Due, which started it all; Heaven on Seven at Ontario/Rush is excellent cajun food at reasonable prices; Shuckers Seafood Restaurant east of Michigan Avenue on Ontario (I think it is) is a good value...old time restaurant in a former townhouse. Same street is a neighborhood-style bar - Howard's, I think - with a great burger. Also great burgers, and Bookbinder soup, at the Coq d'Or in the Drake (a Gold Coast version of the "neighborhood bar - and home to one of the all-time, best-ever saloon piano players, Buddy Charles, after 9 p.m.) You'll be in town long enough to visit almost all the top museums, if such is your interest. Visit the Lincoln Park Zoo, take advantage of a lovely day and stroll along what will be a crowd-free lakefront. Go neighborhood exploring -- stroll the streets of the Gold Coast, north from Division along State and Astor, and visit Old Town, tucked behind the intersection of North and Wells (While you're there, visit Second City - You can, if you want, show up just for the post-performance, late-nite improv sessions and watch the cast work on material for the upcoming show. That admission is nominal... something like $6) It's a neat town. Enjoy!

Old Aug 9th, 1999, 11:27 AM
cherie

Last time I ws there our hotel hooked us up with a tour that was really offbeat but fun...A Tour of the famous mob sites including the St Valentines Day Massace! Then they stopped for dinner at (of course) a Sicilian Restaurant. Your concierge can tell you more.

Old Aug 9th, 1999, 11:27 AM
cherie

Last time I was there our hotel hooked us up with a tour that was really offbeat but fun...A Tour of the famous mob sites including the St Valentines Day Massace! Then they stopped for dinner at (of course) a Sicilian Restaurant. Your concierge can tell you more.

Old Aug 9th, 1999, 11:39 AM
Mike

The Chicago Marathon is on Oct. 24/99. You might want to come out and cheer the runners on the course.

Old Aug 9th, 1999, 04:24 PM
Norma

You're in luck. The hot street art about town, called "Cows on Parade" runs through October 31. Go to www.cowsonparade.net

Enjoy our great city!!!

Old Aug 9th, 1999, 05:27 PM
Troy

Troyman,

First of all, cool name. I agree with one of the previous posts that the Art Musuem is great. For food, I heard great things about the Chop House but it was a bit pricey for me. Houseof Blues has really good food for a chain. Entertainment - I'm a kid at heart so if a town has a Dave & Busters, I'm there and Chicago has two (one is downtown). Also, a friend took me to see the BLUEMEN GROUP which is a wild improvisational variety production with 4(?) guys that are painted blue (audience participation a must). I'm sorry I don't remember the name of the theater. Have fun

- Troy

Old Aug 10th, 1999, 05:03 AM
Kim

If you're interested, Blueman Group is at the Briar Street Theater. I think they have a website.

Old Aug 11th, 1999, 04:56 PM
Wayne

Plan to layer your clothing with a good windbreaking coat on top. If the weather warms during the day you can peel off layers. You never really know about Chicago weather but it should be fairly nice that time of year. However, that said, it can get very cold as well. The answer: Be prepared!

Old Aug 12th, 1999, 09:02 AM
Felicia

Don't miss the blues and jazz clubs. If you want I can personally give you a tour of these clubs. I know the best ones. Just e-mail me.

Old Aug 12th, 1999, 12:47 PM
Jedi

Felicia sounds like a winner (lol). Have no fear...I prdict great Chicago weather for October. Make sure you visit the museum in Chicago, they are the world's best. Also plan to visit Shed Aquarium. It is really outstanding. And,by the way, make sure you enjoy a deep dish pizza (made famous in Chicago) while in our beautiful city.

Old Aug 12th, 1999, 03:20 PM
sabrina

Definitely bring a good jacket (a stylish leather with a nice lining will do)

Check out the museums: Art Institute, Planetarium, Aquarium, Field Museum and the best of them all, the Museum of Science and Industry. All are easily accessible by public transportation.

Don't spend all your time in River North or downtown. Tour Hyde Park, where the Museum of Science and Industry is. University of Chicago is in Hyde Park, as is Frank Lloyd Wright's Robie House and some great restaurants.

As far as blues clubs, I'd check out Kingston Mines and Buddy Guy's Legends. Consider Joe Segal's Jazz Showcase for straight-ahead jazz and if you like to dance, head to Sinibar and the Funky Buddha lounge.

Have a great time!

Old Aug 22nd, 1999, 07:40 PM
Tricha

There is absolutely nothing like Chicago in October. e-mail me and I'll give you lots of helpful info.