Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Advice for activities on Maui (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/advice-for-activities-on-maui-584269/)

Cerlaurie Jan 23rd, 2006 07:48 AM

Advice for activities on Maui

My husband and I are going back to Maui for our second visit. We are staying at Polynesian Shores in West Maui for 8 nights. We did the Road to Hana last time and really enjoyed it so we are planning to go again but we are going to stay at the Hotel Hana-Maui for two nights.

We are looking for advice on the following activities:
1. Snorkeling: we are thinking about Four Winds.
2. Horseback riding (novice riders)
3. ATV tour (again novice riders - we would probably do horsebacking riding or ATV not both)
4. Ferry to Lanai (what is there to do when we get there? I thought I saw on the Travel Channel that we could go to the pool at the hotel close by? or should we just hang out at the beach? is there a tour of the island?)
5. This is for my husband: is there a cool place on the water where we can watch the Superbowl?

We did sunrise at Haleakala last time so we don't want to do that again. We do want to go to Iao Valley because we tried to do that and it was rainy the day we went. Last time, we only went for 5 nights and didn't spend very much time at the pool or beach so we definetly plan to spend more time relaxing.

Any other suggestions would be great! Thanks!

lindsayjoy77 Jan 23rd, 2006 08:24 AM

I took a snorkel trip and went on my own and had just as much fun on my own. It did not cost much, rental of storkeling equipment, and I was able to set my own times and eat as I pleased. The only thing I would have missed by not going on the trip was seeing the green see turtles. I went on a smaller boat that did not cost as much as the bigger ones and had a great time. The extras sound nice, but there is not much time once you get were you are going and get out in the water. I paid $80 some odd dollars for me and my husband.

JohnD Jan 23rd, 2006 09:03 AM

See day 3 of our Trip Report, for notes on Four Winds & Molokini, day 5 for day Trip to Lanai: http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34456218

Yes, you can hang out by the beach below Manele Bay Hotel. The ocean was a little rough on the day we visited so we chose to explore the island and suggest you rent a jeep as off-roading is the norm. to reach some areas; Garden of the Gods, Shipwreck beach etc. :S-

On our second trip to Maui we enjoyed the less crowded early ((S))((*))((#))Kai Kanani trip to snorkel Molokini, as described on day 11: http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34581411

Feel free to ask more((?))

Kaymit Jan 23rd, 2006 09:56 AM

My husband and I were in Maui last fall and stayed a night at the Hotel Hana Maui. You will love it so much there you will not want to leave. They have horse back riding there. As a matter of fact the pasture for the horses was right next to our cottage. The horses appeared very friendly and just beautiful. I would assume that they have horses appropriate for novice riders.

The hotel also has a shuttle to beautiful Homa (sp) beach near by and will fix you a lunch to take with you.

If you would like to see our pictures of Hotel Hana Maui and read our trip reort just email me at [email protected]

Cerlaurie Jan 23rd, 2006 11:32 AM

Thanks for all the information.

John, I read parts of your trip report but need to print and read the rest later since I am at work. ;-) My husband also thought snorkeling was better on the Big Island with Fairwinds and was reluctant to go to Molokini again but I thought if we tried a different boat/excursion this time maybe it would be better.

Kay, thanks for your advice. We "talked" before our trip last year and you gave me good advice.

JohnD Jan 23rd, 2006 11:38 AM

In our own limited experience of 2 Molokini trips, I believe snorkeling conditions vary at Molokini, the early AM snorkel trip aboard the Kai Kanani<i> was better the 2nd time around</i>, whereas Big Island and K-bay have been consistently great on our three snorkel boat trips there!:S-

The Four Winds and Kai Kanani are contrasting experiences, and the Four Winds staff will ensure you receive plenty of food:P, ((8)) and good times, while the Kai Kanani is a smaller, faster, less crowded and less $)experience.

Cerlaurie Jan 24th, 2006 08:42 AM

Any other advice?

dusty56438 Jan 24th, 2006 01:01 PM

You can try these sites:

www.mauihawaii.org

www.visitmaui.com

www.alternative-hawaii.com Good narrative drive guide.

www.driveguidemagazines.com Good maps &amp; restaurant guide.

Activities/atractions:

www.hawaiifun.org

www.hawaiiactivities.com

trippinkpj Jan 24th, 2006 02:01 PM

We liked visiting (and staying for that matter) in upcountry. Paia, Haiku, Makawao and Kula. Quaint resturaunts and shops, enjoyable B&amp;B's and pretty scenery. This region is just off of the road to Hana.

maslow Jan 31st, 2006 12:59 PM

If you want a unique horseback riding experience -- Pony Express will take you into the crater of Haleakala. This is an amazing experience. It's totally quiet in the crater and you feel like you're on another planet. Amazing, surreal landscape. Check it out - you won't regret it!

Cerlaurie Jan 31st, 2006 06:41 PM

Thanks! Any other thoughts? We leave in 3 days - can't wait!

MinnieNo1 Feb 1st, 2006 08:35 AM

I don't notice any whale watching tours on your list. You can see them from land, but there's just nothing like seeing them up close. We like to use Pacific Whale Foundation for this. They have trained personnel on board for questions and profits go to help the whales. You might also consider them for a snorkel tour. We went on the one to Lanai with the spinner dolphins and it was wonderful. Although you can snorkel from shore too and that's also great - and cheaper. Have a great time. I'm counting down 10 days.

Cerlaurie Feb 1st, 2006 12:46 PM

Thanks. We were thinking about Whale Watching also.

mapper Feb 1st, 2006 02:15 PM

Don't forget there are the downhill biking tours at Haleakala Crater. I've always wanted to do that trip.

Here are good locator maps of the National Parks in Hawaii -

www.cccarto.com/wmaps/haleakala/index.html
www.cccarto.com/wmaps/HawaiiNP/index.html

MinnieNo1 Feb 2nd, 2006 08:41 AM

A girl friend and I did the Haleakala downhill bike (the guys wouldn't go). There were snow flurries on the way up, too much fog to see the sunrise and rain on the way down. It was a blast and made for lots of stories when we got home. I would do it again. The one down side is that it doesn't allow time for taking pictures while riding. This time when we go we're going to go up during the day to take pictures and maybe stay to see the sunset!

dkaymarie Feb 5th, 2006 01:39 PM

Go see Warren and Annabella. It is the most incredible magic show we have ever seen. You can reserve tickets on line. It is funny and amazing. Some people in the audience had been to the show over 10 times. I would go again if we go back to Maui. You can have dinner or appetizers prior to the show. Singing servers and Annabella, the invisible pianist, entertains you for about an hour before the show begins.