Advenures in Kauai

Mar 11th, 2007, 08:25 PM
Original Poster

Advenures in Kauai

In anticipation of our summer trip I've been reading various threads about activities in Kauai. Many people refer to a helicopter tour as the highlight of their vacation. Now with the tragic news of crashes and I think everyone should pause to consider the risks. We will not be taking a helicopter tour this summer (although I've taken helicopter tours in other places at other times -- maybe I'm just getting older and wiser).

So . . . now we have an extra $400 in our vacation budget -- any suggestions about other special adventures we (and other travelers) should consider. I think some people will feel as though they really missed something special by passing on a helicopter tour -- but, surely there are other really wonderful excursions. Frankly, in most of our travels my highlight moments have been simpler experiences -- a sunset, snorkeling with turtles, listening to the waves, a special meal in a wonderful setting . . . . . etc.

Be safe fellow travelers -- and enjoy the beauty of everyday things.
Mar 12th, 2007, 04:22 AM

Just heard this morning that another Helicopter went down in Kauai. That makes 2 in 4 days.

The Holoholo sunset cruise was fun. Open bar with beer/wine/maitais plus food and champagne at sunset. Also good chances you will run into a school of spinner dolphins.
Mar 12th, 2007, 04:29 AM
iceeu2

We did an ATV ride several years ago that was a lot of fun!

Mar 12th, 2007, 06:15 AM
lvk

Princeville Ranch has horseback riding and ziplines.
Mar 12th, 2007, 06:56 PM

Kipu Ranch Adventures ATV Tour. Lots of fun, guides were great, scenery to die for...
Mar 12th, 2007, 07:55 PM

Most days on the hell-hole the most adventure I can handle is walking down to the Wake-Up for breakfast then waddling down to the beach for a snooze. Enjoy your time there.
Mar 15th, 2007, 05:24 PM

I haven't been to Kauai yet -- going next week -- but I'm planning on going in the air on the powered hang gliders with Birds in Paradise.

If we choose to stay grounded for some reason, I'll probably do the Princeville Ranch Zipline (I did a similar tree-top canopy tour in Costa Rica and loved it).
Mar 16th, 2007, 05:20 PM

Helicopter tours are fun I have been on one on Kauai, however I have also gone on a plane tour and it was just as beautiful and much more relaxing. It is a very safe alternative to a helicopter since planes fly with in FA regulations and are designed to glide, not drop like flys. On my plane ride I saw all the same views as I saw in the helicopter plus many more. Also the plane tour was about half the price!!! So you will be able to take another tour as well.

Air Ventures (808 651 0679) was the name of the company I flew with. Their plane was designed for search and rescue and was very smooth and comfortable. The staff was friendly, personable and helpful. I would highly recommend this tour as an alternative to a helicopter any day of the week!

Enjoy your stay on the garden island!

Ally

Mar 16th, 2007, 05:55 PM

Napali Catamaran tour of Napali coast was wonderful. Small boat that seats about 12 so we were able to get close to the sea caves, etc. Kipu Ranch ATV was also lots of fun. You could probably do both for $400.
Mar 17th, 2007, 07:35 AM

The best adventure I've experienced on Kauai was kayaking the Na Pali Coast. If you're interested I've got a trip report of it over on Trip Advisor. Or check out my photos of the trip.

http://good-times.webshots.com/album/552615717HXWeSE
Mar 20th, 2007, 07:48 AM

I would definitely recommend the Kipu Ranch ATV Adventures. Our guide was fantastic and if you do the shorter tour, you get to see Kipu Kai, a beach that about only 4% of the Hawaiian population has been rumored to see due to its location on a privately owned track of land.

I was actually in a helicopter the day the first one crashed this year. A bit scary, but it is a thrill beyond belief.

We also did a whale watching excursion on the Na Pali Explorer. It was incredible and the view of the Na Pali Coast is absolutely awe-inspiring.
Mar 20th, 2007, 07:52 AM

Ditto for NaPali Catamaran. Amazing day for me! Loved every minute of the trip...the beauty of the NaPali coast is really indescribable.
Mar 20th, 2007, 02:44 PM

We loved the Na Pali boat tour on Holo Holo, the second time we went with them, we got to Niihau (first time they had to scratch due to high seas). Fantastic snorkeling, we saw turtles, monk seal and manta ray. Good food, good boat and good crew.
Mar 20th, 2007, 04:18 PM

Hi - we went to Kauai last september. We did do the helicopter, and it WAS a highlight during our trip. That being said - kauai has some wonderful hiking that provides spectacular views. We went expecting the snorkeling to be the biggest deal and left being awed by the wonderful hikes. And it's free!!have fun, sue
Mar 24th, 2007, 02:22 PM

We took the Catamaran Kahanu to the Na Pali coast, a father-and-son crew who made the experience unforgettable. Lunch, sea turtles, spinner dolphins and lots of stories of Hawaiian legends. On the North Shore, look for the slack-key guitar concerts in the Hanalei Family Center. Wonderful, relaxing music and the nicest couple.
Mar 30th, 2007, 05:51 PM

We just got back from Hawaii. During our time on Kauia we did take a helicopter tour with Air Kauai (it was awesome!) and did the NaPali coast tour with Liko Kauai Cruises out of Waimea. Definitely take some boat cruise up the NaPali coast-it was the highlight of our time on Kauai. Also drove up Waimea Canyon. We spent a day driving to the end of the road at Kee Beach stopping at Kilauea Lighthouse and Hanalei on the way. Beautiful views and awesome beaches on the way. Also had an excellent dinner at the Beach House in Poipu. Make a reservation before you leave if you want to eat there. Expensive, but a beautiful sunset view and wonderful food. Our best meal of our whole trip. Enjoy your trip! We thought Kauai was beautiful!
Mar 30th, 2007, 07:26 PM
Kal

r'my...
Mar 31st, 2007, 07:33 AM

We are in Kauai now. We are planning on taking the catamaran and snorking trip on monday on the Na pali coast. There are so many wonderful hikes, beaches, stunning scenery with a little effort you do not need to pay for. Just enjoy the beauty of the island.
Mar 31st, 2007, 08:05 AM

Man, you folks have BUSY vacations!

Remember the story of Ferdinand the Bull who liked to just sit under the cork tree and...smell the flowers? That's me on Kaua'i.

How about taking that $400 and buying yourself a lovely piece of island art. When you get home, you will be able to look at it, close your eyes and remember.

-Bill

Mar 31st, 2007, 04:42 PM
Kealalani

Hi.

I have been to the island a few times and been and done many of the things mentioned. As I am prone to seasickness, I have yet to do a NaPali sail, due to conditions or soldout. If you are considering a north shore departure sail, I would book ahead.

One place I think is missed is the botanical gardens NaAinaKai.com It is a remarkabel garden off the tourist path.

I usually limit my visit with one paid excursion, not because of finances, but the rest of the time I prefer hanging local. Maybe take a surf lesson, or rent a kayak or just check chill on da beach with a book.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO