Notices

Adventure Seeker/Artist in Seattle

Old Jan 23rd, 2015, 08:23 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Adventure Seeker/Artist in Seattle

I am planning a trip to Seattle this summer before I begin my first summer in art school the following fall... I don't want to go stay a week without an itinerary. I would love to hear ideas from people who have visited. I'm super interested in the culture and the art side of the city, I'm searching out inspiration for my work and just to have a damn good time. Music lover. Art junkie. Experience "needer". Help me out.
Old Jan 23rd, 2015, 08:24 PM
Original Poster

2 18 year old girls. We have passports and are passionately pursuing a good time.
Old Jan 23rd, 2015, 08:40 PM

Well, this is a tiny bit vague, but I almost think you could trek (here) to Seattle without a rigid itinerary and immerse yourself considerably in the art/music scene.

I'm guessing that if you're both (still going to be 18, by trip time)... then there isn't that much incentive to use those passports to go to Canada. IF BOTH hit 19 before the trip, THEN you might consider a train up to Vancouver, where the drinking age would suit you nicely.

I don't have a sense for where you want to stay... I mean, will it be a high end hotel, a low end hotel, or a youth hostel?

Some stay at the Green Tortoise Hostel right across the street from the Pike Place Market... for a great central location with art and music within easy reach.

Neither Seattle nor Vancouver, Canada would be too challenging for transportation once you got yourself to either city. You could have a blast without a vehicle in either spot, and a train could take you between the two cities if you were so inclined.

I don't think you should plan-out every day, because there will be many things you will discover and do while on the fly.
Old Jan 24th, 2015, 04:55 AM

Our weekly newspaper, The Stranger, contains information that is probably of interest to you: the stranger.com

HTtY
Old Jan 24th, 2015, 06:06 AM

Consider coming around Labor Day weekend if you can. That's when the annual Bumbershoot arts festival (mainly music but other arts as well) is held. Usually the weather is excellent then, too.

Where are you coming from and what sort of arts education are you pursuing? Visual arts? Sculpture...? The Northwest has awesome resources, but they can be spread out.
Old Jan 24th, 2015, 06:33 AM

Check out these people: http://seattlearchitecture.org

Also, Chihuly has a new art glass "garden".
Old Jan 27th, 2015, 10:11 AM

Head up to Capitol Hill, and walk the Pike/Pine corridor. This area is thick with happening shops, restaurants, book stores, and young people.

Another area with lots of galleries is the Pioneer Square historic district.

Frye Museum is free. Seattle Art Museum downtown.