Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Advanced Reservations for events in Savannah (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/advanced-reservations-for-events-in-savannah-639003/)

Giovanna Aug 14th, 2006 08:00 AM

Advanced Reservations for events in Savannah

We will be in Savannah in about a month and I'm wondering if there will be enough visitors at that time that I should reserve tickets for the Savannah Theatre, River Cruise, etc. I sometimes reserve these kinds of things in advance and it has saved us time by not having to stand in long lines, and also perhaps getting better seats in the case of the theatre.

What do those of you who live there or are familiar with Savannah think I should do?

gail Aug 14th, 2006 10:24 AM

Savannah College of Art and Design parent and student orientation is 9/8-10 and upperclassman arrive for classes that start 9/13. Since there are students from everywhere, many hotels fill up and I would guess some of the ticketed venues as well.

Giovanna Aug 14th, 2006 01:27 PM

Thanks for your response Gail. We have reservations at the Ballastone Inn so no worries there. It would seem students would be in class during the day when we would take a river cruise, but might be interested in theatre???

What about tourists in September? I would think it would be less crowded than mid-summer and that's why we planned to visit then, but would appreciate some advice from those of you who live there or know Savannah well. Thanks.

starrsville Aug 14th, 2006 01:30 PM

Giovanna, if you know you are going to want to attend the events, go ahead and buy the tix and get the best seats possible. September in Savannah is gorgeous and is not usually very busy. Savannah hosts conferences throughout the year, but most attendees don't attend the theatre. If you decide to "wing it" you will probably be just fine. If you would be disappointed not to see a show, buy a tix ahead of time. Have fun in Savannah. It is lovely in the early fall.

Giovanna Aug 14th, 2006 02:06 PM

Thank you -- good advice. Pleased to hear we have picked a good time of year to visit.

gail Aug 14th, 2006 05:31 PM

September can still be really hot and humid - but at least it often cools down at night. Watch weather forecast for tropical things that might approach - since it is not directly on the coast unless there is a storm that comes up the Savannah River of is really strong, it would be very annoying but not likely on the scale of south Florida. (Although our son who is in college in Savannah has had classes cancelled one day for a "hurricane day" - like a snow day - and the school does have a hurricane evacuation plan.)

Giovanna Aug 16th, 2006 06:47 AM

Thanks again Gail. I always check weather just before we leave on a trip, but it sometimes doesn't prove to be correct. We naturally hope mother nature won't stir up anything major while we're there (or at all for that matter).