Reload this Page >

"Adults Only" Visit to Busch Gardens, Williamsburg

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 18th, 2002, 09:25 AM
Lila

My husband and I are going to Williamsburg next weekend (arriving Friday late afternoon) and are planning to go to Busch Gardens on Sunday (it's last open day of the season). We have no kids and I've read comments about Busch Gardens in Florida being great if you "love roller coaster rides". We would like to take in a couple rides (neither of us have been to a theme park in many, many years) but I was more interested in the other attractions (i.e, France, Ireland, etc., villages) are these not great to visit too? I'm wondering if BG is worth an "adults only" visit or is it more for kids? Should we stick to spending 2 full days in Williamsburg instead? Thank you for any of your comments!

Old Oct 18th, 2002, 09:40 AM
Susan

I think you'll enjoy Busch Gardens. It is one of the prettiest theme parks I've seen. The rides are the highlight of the park but there are also shows to see. Unfortunately, the best of the summer show, a Cirque-like show, has ended for the season. The villages are mostly shops and food stands. Check into prices. It is pretty expensive. They may still offer a twilight price but the park may actually be more crowded during those hours since they are doing Hallo-Scream, a scary vignettes scattered throughout the park. That Sunday will be the last one before Halloween.

Old Oct 18th, 2002, 10:10 AM
kim

I think you'd be better off spending your two days in Colonial Williamsburg. Busch Gardens is okay but definitely for the young set. The villages are nothing like what you'd find at Epcot in WDW; just souvenir shops and mediocre food.

Old Oct 18th, 2002, 10:24 AM
Ann

My husband and I always enjoy Busch Gardens, and we don't have any kids. We usually ride the rides, but also like the shows, the German beer hall, etc. Not sure how Kim defines the "young set", but we're in our mid-30s.

Old Oct 18th, 2002, 10:46 AM
Chris

If you're willing to spend $40 for what Busch Gardens has to offer adults, I'd go. My husband and I wandered around while our teenage sons rode the rides. We liked: Grogan's Pub in Ireland; the Irish dance show; the tram ride around the park - take all 3 legs; same for the train; the shops are a bit kitschy, but some people like that; the German festhaus; any of the animal shows. It's a nice place to walk, sit, drink beer, eat. Food at Grogan's was the best, IMO, seconded by the German food at Festhaus. But it's not authentic, just pretty and cheerful. We enjoyed WATCHING some of the rides -- they whirl right across, above, and below the walking paths. It's really about whether the money makes this worth it to you.

Old Oct 18th, 2002, 01:50 PM
Lila

WOW, thanks so much for your speedy replies. You all gave me something to think about. I guess we'll see how much we get to see in Colonial Williamsburg on Friday night and Saturday and if we feel we covered the area, then we go spend most of Sunday at BG. Don't stop the comments and suggestions from coming. . .we still have a week before we depart!

Old Oct 18th, 2002, 05:02 PM
c

My husband and I went there last Saturday. Like you, I haven't been to a theme park in a very long time (maybe 20 years!), and have never been a big ride fan. But, we had a really good time. The park is decorated for Halloween right now, which was pretty cool - after dark some of the rides change from being just a ride to being a 'scary' ride (like the train around the park, which has a 'Headless Horseman' theme at night). If you are going the last day, the crowds may be pretty thick towards the end of the day.

It is kind of expensive - it's over $40 per person to get in, plus parking plus food (which wasn't necessarily cheap, but was pretty good).

Personally, I could easily use up Colonial Williamsburg in a day.

Old Oct 21st, 2002, 06:28 AM
r-travels

If you're going to Colonial Williamsburg:

Try to take in the 18th Century Play that's presented Saturday nights (for an extra charge - $6 or $9, based on what type ticket you buy for CW) ... it's an excellent 2 hours. They do sell out quick, so best to purchase ahead of time at 1-800-history or check website at www.history.org

Old Oct 21st, 2002, 07:08 AM
Lila

Thanks r-travels for the recommendation of the 18th Century Play. However, I have already reserved 2 tickets for the Ghost & Legends tour for our Saturday night there. Did you do this Ghost tour and if so, did you prefer the play? Thanks again!

Old Oct 21st, 2002, 07:30 AM
r-travels

I've done & enjoyed both, but enjoyed the play more. They have 3 different plays they present (see the web page) but I've not seen "Cato" yet. I think you can cancel/exchange tix up to 72 hours before event, if you're inclined to. I enjoy walking the streets of CW on cool, crisp Autumn nights. You'll enjoy either production, but I think the G&L tour is offered a few times a week. Enjoy your trip - I visit several times a year, & learn new things each time.

Old Oct 21st, 2002, 07:36 AM
Jo

Lila--My husband and I did the Ghosts and Legends tour in May and it was ok, but not as good as others we have taken in New Orleans and Savannah. But it really all depends on your tour guide. Also, I think taking one right before Halloween would definitely add to the tour. Have fun!