Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Adirondacks - where to go besides Lake Placid in July? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/adirondacks-where-to-go-besides-lake-placid-in-july-846814/)

activetraveller Jun 26th, 2010 12:52 PM

Adirondacks - where to go besides Lake Placid in July?

We are planning a trip to Lake Placid the end of July. My husband is doing the Ironman there. We have 1 week booked in Lake Placid but then have 2 free days with nowhere to stay yet. Any suggestions of other areas in the Adirondacks to check out? We have a noon flight out of Albany and will have our 12 week old daughter with us.

garyt22 Jun 26th, 2010 01:12 PM

Saratoga and Lake George are not far.. have a look at the map and see if it fits your plans...

activetraveller Jun 26th, 2010 03:37 PM

Oh, and I also want to try to see an area that would be different than Lake Placid. We like to spend time outdoors - hiking, etc. Probably not able to canoe/kayak with the little one and we're not really ones to hang out in town a lot.

wliwl Jun 26th, 2010 04:39 PM

Virtually any other town in the Adirondacks will give you a very genuine Adirondack experience. Your challenge will be finding accommodations, as that is a "busy" time of year (although the Adirondacks never feels busy) and there aren't that many places to stay.

So, you might just go by accommodations - and not worry exactly where you are. All the towns are charming. You might look at Friends Lake Inn, Irondequoit Inn, Melody Lodge, etc. Those are all areas I hang out in a lot. Other great towns are Tupper Lake (new Natural Heritage museum there), Blue Mountain Lake (nice museum there), Inlet, Long Lake, etc.

I wouldn't move from Lake Placid to either Lake George or Saratoga. They're all just as touristy at Lake Placid and not as pretty.

Have a great trip and don't forget your head netting if you're hiking.

weimarer Jun 26th, 2010 06:50 PM

Stay where you are. There's nothing to be gained by moving to another area for 2 days. It's all the same, and I don't say that in a negative way. This won't work with a 12 month-old together, but you should definitely take one of the airplane rides over the High Peaks Wilderness. I think it was only $20 or so for a 20 minute ride, so you and your husband could just go alone while one stays with the infant, then switch. Whiteface Mtn is a must. Views are stupendous. There is an elevator to the top if you are leery of walking up with the infant. It is not all that far, but somewhat rocky and steep.

I think the black flies are pretty much done by the end of July, so you should be safe there. Mosquitoes are another matter entirely.

LindainOhio Jun 27th, 2010 04:55 AM

You could stay at any of the historic Adirondack camps around Lake Placid, Blue Mountain Lake, Saranac Lake. Many are really special and I would love to stay at one. Perhaps someone could recommend a camp. I always wanted to stay at one of the more rustic camps like the Wawbeek, that closed(some millionaire bought it and built a private residence, the Hedges, or the more upscale the Lake Placid Lodge. I think there is also one in Keene. We visited about 8 years ago and have always wanted to return---just too many places to see.