Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Activities in Myrtle Beach and Charleston -First week in November (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/activities-in-myrtle-beach-and-charleston-first-week-in-november-810062/)

teacherD Oct 13th, 2009 05:47 AM

Activities in Myrtle Beach and Charleston -First week in November

We traded our time share for a week in Myrtle Beach and then planned on a couple of days in Charleston. We did not want hot , sticky weather nor the threat of hurricanes when we planned this trip. The beach does NOT interest us. We picked the first week in November. Now we're getting nervous as to whether we will find things to do. Will the mansions be open in Charleston etc.? Has anyone been there at this time of year?

SAnParis2 Oct 13th, 2009 06:21 AM

http://www.charlestoncvb.com/visitor...009&category=1

suewoo Oct 13th, 2009 07:21 AM

Yes, home tours and plantations are open. Take a carriage ride around Charleston first thing to get a feel for the city. Ed Grimball's Walking Tour and Alphonse Brown's Gullah tour are both popular. The food in Charleston is outstanding.

teacherD Oct 13th, 2009 07:34 AM

Thanks for the information re: Charleston. How about Myrtle Beach? We're trying to figure out is we should give up a couple of days of the time share in N. Myrtle beach and spend a bit more time in Charleston.

lantana Oct 13th, 2009 07:48 AM

I'd definitely opt for more time in Charleston than in Myrtle Beach, especially if you're not interested in the beach.
In Charleston there are some real historical and architectural jewels, such as Drayton Hall http://www.draytonhall.org/
Middleton Place is also very popular. You might be interested in visiting Fort Sumter, Fort Moultrie and/or the aircraft carrier Yorktown.
I recommend just walking around... Park on Church Street (below Broad St.) and walk around the southeastern tip of peninsular Charleston (look for Zig Zag Alley, Stoll's Alley, St. Michael's Alley...)Beautiful architecture.
Charleston has MANY wonderful restaurants.
Is this an adults-only trip?

suewoo Oct 13th, 2009 07:51 AM

Don't have much info on MB-I never go there. I think there are lots of shops.

teacherD Oct 13th, 2009 12:19 PM

Yes, this is an adults only trip. Haven't been to MB in 20 years and have never been to Charleston. We will be driving from the west coast of FL.

lantana Oct 13th, 2009 12:39 PM

teacherD - MB has lots to offer if you enjoy golf and shows (such as Dolly Parton's Dixie Stampede http://www.dixiestampede.com/myrtlebeach.php , the Palace Theatre, Medieval Times, etc.) and also outlet shopping - MB has lots of them.
Charleston offers a very different kind of experience - architectural beauty, historic home tours, boutiques, fine dining.

elsiemoo Oct 13th, 2009 02:17 PM

teacherD, you're not interested in the beach but chose a week at Myrtle Beach? I don't quite understand. Sounds like you would have enjoyed a week in Charleston more ... :-) I would definitely give more time to Charleston. I enjoy NORTH Myrtle Beach. I'd like sitting on my balcony and watching the ocean that time of year, eating at Margaritaville, going to some of the musical shows, swimming in the pool at the resort, and playing mini-golf and walking on the beach. I like Ripley's Aquarium there ... you can walk thru the shark tank ... very cool! Have a great visit to both places!

teacherD Oct 14th, 2009 11:17 AM

Thanks for the help. We are staying in North Myrtle Beach and look forward to the shows, mini-golf etc. Charleston plans are the mansions, fine dining etc.

travel4now Oct 14th, 2009 12:04 PM

We've done a lot of timeshare exchanges successfully in the USA. I understand why you want to go to Myrtle Beach even though you won't be on the beach itself. Lots to do, especially a big variety of shows. If the Irish show is still on, see it! If you haven't done some of the other dinner shows--do them. No doubt Dolly Parton's Christmas show will be at the Stampede; it's very, very nice! Lots of finer restaurants there. Also, go to Broadway at the Beach if weather is acceptable. It's on a lake. It's huge--any kind of activity and fun dining, sometimes music. If you do one day in Charleston set out early and you'll be fine. We've done the tour of the city with a guide--very nice. Next time it will be the plantations. In late November, the city tour might be best. Dining there will be nice too. If you like all this, then next year exchange your week for Tybee Island, GA and spend a couple of days in Savannah--unique, genuinely friendly city with fabulous dining options.

travel4now Oct 14th, 2009 12:06 PM

Even in early November Dolly's Christmas show should be on. It's not just for kids.

cathee Oct 14th, 2009 12:55 PM

My husband and I just spend 5 days total in both of your destinations These are two totally different types of vacation spots. MB is great for beach & golf, but it is very commercialized, buffet, after buffet down the divided 4 lane highway----mini golf, etc. a great place to bring kids ----the golf and beach are excellent---and the airport is no hassel and close to hotels, etc. We saw a great show at the local theater, too---but aside from that, if you're not into golf or beach you probably will not like it there

Charleston is quite different---loaded with history, lovely, elegant mansions to tour, walking tours, a great marketplace. We stayed at the Harbor House Inn beautiful, right on the water, walking distance to everything----wish we'd have had more time there. I vote for Charleston. My husband liked it, but would have probably wanted to play another round of golf in MB.

Gretchen Oct 14th, 2009 02:28 PM

There is plenty to do. You do realize that Charleston is a two hour drive from MB?
For good dining in the MB area go down to Pawley's Island and Murrell's Inlet.
Brookgreen Gardens in Litchfield is definitely worth a visit while in the MB area.
The weather will be lovely.

palmettoprincess Oct 14th, 2009 06:14 PM

Ditto Brookgreen Gardens. You can experience the lowcountry before the grand strand became commercial at Brookgreen. By November mosquitos shouldn't be a problem.

teacherD Oct 15th, 2009 05:58 AM

Gretchen,
Yes we know that Charleston is 2 hours away. That's why we are considering leaving the timeshare earlier than our full week there in order to spend more time in Charleston. We will definitely visit Brookline while in MB. Just visited its site!! Thanks!