Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Activities for 16 yr old in NYC (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/activities-for-16-yr-old-in-nyc-769043/)

Shar Feb 22nd, 2009 09:55 PM

Activities for 16 yr old in NYC

taking my grand daguther to NYC in April for theatre. Will also be going to Ellis Island, Tennement museum and ground zero. Any other suggestions. She is into Goth so upscale shopping is out of the question....

LaurenKahn1 Feb 22nd, 2009 10:01 PM

Get your tickets for shows at the half price ticket place in Times Square. Do not order full price ahead of time. 90% of the shows are generally available for half price.

Of course he Empire State Building for the view (or Top of the Rock). Give your granddaughter a good guide book and ask her what she wants to do. In my opinion the shopping in NYC is overrated anyway unless we are talking high end merchandise.

Ground Zero for the pilgrimage.

Walk the Brooklyn Bridge (OK, I've never done that but I want to).

Try some restaurants in the neighborhoods rather than the high end places or those that cater mostly to tourists. Just walk around and see what looks good and go in. You don't have to regiment your trip with lots of reservations. Personally I hate that. Maybe one "big splurge" one and then the rest eat wherever you end up.

If she likes art, certainly the Met or the MOMA or maybe both.

Enjoy!

Shar Feb 22nd, 2009 10:06 PM

haven't been to the ESB in years but heard that there are very very long lines now. Not sure she would have the patience. thanks for the other suggestions. will def. get to the Met or MOMA. What and where is Top of the Rock?

tchoiniere Feb 23rd, 2009 02:33 AM

Top of the Rock is the top of the Rockefeller Center. Great vantage point with timed tickets so that you don't have to wait very long and you get a great view of the ESB. I would skip the ESB and do TOTR for sure.

Austin Feb 23rd, 2009 04:15 AM

If you get to the ESB right at opening and during the week, lines aren't too bad. I think she might like the Village - sit outside at a cafe and people watch. That was one of my teen's favorite things to do in NYC. Are you signed up on Playbill? Get on their list and find discounts and good seats in advance. I have tix to Mama Mia for $67, excellent seats.

nytraveler Feb 23rd, 2009 06:10 AM

Top of the Rock is much better than the ESB - much shorter lines and IHO better views.

For any shows go to Broadwaybox.com now and get codes you an use to buy discount tickets in advance - and not waste time standing on line while here.

She will definitely want to do downtown shopping and spend time in the East Village and perhpas (window) in SoHo.

Have a look at New York Magazine and Time Out New York web sites a couple of weeks before youcome - to see what special events there are in which she might be intrested.

And, if she's 16 and going off to college in a year you may want to have a look at a couple of the major campuses - good for finding student/bargain hangouts as well as thinking bout the future. (At least do the areas around Columbia and NYU.)

Aduchamp1 Feb 23rd, 2009 06:36 AM

If she is Goth there is a new store on Avenue A and about 12th Street that specializes in Vampire gear.

The East Village and Washington Square Park attract the Goth kids.

LaurenKahn1 Feb 23rd, 2009 09:20 AM

There is a huge debate as to whether Top of the Rock or the ESB is the best place for the view. You pick.

One thing about half price tickets in Times Square. It is cash or traveler's cheques only. NO credit cards.

ellenem Feb 23rd, 2009 10:13 AM

LaurenKahn1, From the TKTS website, a new policy:

TKTS Times Square, TKTS Seaport and TKTS Downtown Brooklyn accept credit cards, cash, travelers checks or TKTS Gift Certificates.

Shar Mar 10th, 2009 09:44 PM

Thanks for all the great suggestions.....Still not sure wether ESB or TOTR.....

tchoiniere Mar 11th, 2009 02:14 AM

I still stand by TOTR due to the timed tickets and the fact you get a great view of the ESB.

LaurenKahn1 Mar 11th, 2009 03:52 PM

Yes, TKTS now takes credit cards. Thanks for correcting my information ellenem. I was just there last week but did not see any shows. However, I did note the policy had recently changed (thank goodness!).