Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Activities December 8 & 9 South Rim Grand Canyon

Old Sep 24th, 2011, 10:51 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi you helpful people, we're finally nutting out the nitty gritty details and I finding that I need advice on whether to spend two full days (3 nights) at the South Rim or one full day (2 nights).

We will be staying at El Tovar, arriving on 12/7, and we will have a hire car.

Optimally we would love to do a Smooth Water Float and a flight either by helicopter or plane from Tusayan or somehwhere close by. Problem is I can't find definative information on whether there are Smooth Water Floats on these dates.

Would we be staying too long if we stayed the two entire days, It'd be great to have the days further on in our trip, but I don't want to miss what we can see at the COLD time of year.

Looking forward to your replies and thank you
Old Sep 24th, 2011, 11:19 PM

There is only once concessionaire that does the float trips on the Colorado River and it doesn't look like they do the float trips in December. https://raftthecanyon.com/reservatio...scheduler.aspx

If you plan on doing a lot of hiking then you will want to spend 3 nights and have 2 full days. One full day is enough to see the highlights, overlooks and do some rim hiking. I would plan part of the second day to see more of the park.

Utahtea
Old Sep 24th, 2011, 11:27 PM

Oops...missed the part about the helicopter. I've never done that one but I believe most of those are out of Las Vegas. There are probably other but I did find one company that does the helicopter and rafting. http://www.lasvegasgrandcanyontour.c...-boat.php#book

Utahtea
Old Sep 24th, 2011, 11:46 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Utahtea, I didn't think the float was going to float in December the combo tour looks great, however it's out of Vegas and we're Really Trying to do something from GC.

This is the info I was trying to get. If we can't do the float, and one and a half days is enough at that time of year to see the highlights and do a bit of a walk, maybe we'd be better heading to death valley in the afternoon of the second day.

Can't wait to hear other opinions
Old Sep 25th, 2011, 12:42 AM
Original Poster

Of course I mean on route to Death Valley on the second day. Two nights at El tovar, a day and a half GCNP Oops
Old Sep 25th, 2011, 03:38 AM

Lissa, I would think that you could see the GC in a day and a half, unless you plan on doing a lot of hiking. I would want to spend some time walking along the rim trail. I'm not sure if the shuttle is running in December, if it is walk till you get tired then hop on and get off at the next stopand go out to Hermit's rest. If the shuttle is not going, then walk a way and take your car out, stopping at the pull outs. Also go east and stop along that way. Go down into the canyon at least a little way on Bright Angel or Kaibab trail, visit the VC and the shops near the rim.

If you are coming/going from Vegas, visit Hoover Dam and continue around Lake Meade a bit to Valley of Fire. I took a boat ride from near Hoover Dam on Lake Meade which was very nice if you want a bit of a boat ride. We also did the smooth water raft trip from Page, AZ, but it was not in the winter. I think the company that did the raft trip was www.rafttheriver.com.

If you are coming/going from Phoenix, go east on 64 then south on 89 and visit Wupatki and Sunset crater and/or when you get to 40, go east about 10 miles and visit Walnut Canyon.

If it is just cold, dress warmly. If it is snowy, check the other directions, Death Valley is awesome and will be warmer, but watch the weather, you do go over the mountains to get there.

Have a wonderful trip.
Old Sep 25th, 2011, 12:15 PM
Original Poster

emolloy thank you. We've found out there are no boat trips on our dates from GCNP so you're suggestions regarding boat ride near Hoover Dam seem like the way to go.

We have secured our reservations at El Tovar and I'm very excited (it'll be our honeymoon). I think we'll just do the day and half and head back toward Vegas.

Can anyone suggest somewhere reasonable along the road to stay, or should we aim to get all the way back to Vegas.

If we are heading to DV after this, I'd like to stay on the road and not get caught up in Vegas traffic? (not that I know if this is an issue).

Thank you

Lissa
Old Sep 25th, 2011, 12:34 PM

Death Valley would be a great place to visit after the Grand Canyon. It might help to know where you are starting from and ending and how many days you have to give better advise.

Keep in mind that on Sunday's there is usually a lot of traffic going from Las Vegas to Los Angeles on I-15. Usually starts backing up around Barstow later in the day. Holiday weekends are murder!

Utahtea