Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Accomodations in Williamsburg 11/28 - 12/1/03 (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/accomodations-in-williamsburg-11-28-12-1-03-a-348278/)

we_luv_disney Aug 15th, 2003 07:36 AM

Accomodations in Williamsburg 11/28 - 12/1/03

I have been searching for accomodations for my family of 7 in Williamsburg, VA for Thanksgiving weekend 11/28-12/1/03. The Powhatan Plantations, Quality Inn Lord Paget, Hilton Garden Inn, and Woodlands Inn look appealing. Which one would you suggested, or any other? I know how lodging advertisments make everything look good but could be a misrepresentation of the actual service and quality. HELP!!

obxgirl Aug 15th, 2003 09:56 AM

Powhatan Plantation gets mixed reviews as some of the units are older and getting tattered. Never heard complaints about the newer units. PP is near a shopping center with a very large grocery store, Target, Starbucks, and some specialty shops. It's closer to Jamestown than Colonial Williamsburg but the distance to CW is still very convenient.

QI Lord Paget is an older hotel on the Busch Gardens side of CW. It's very well maintained and the rooms are a bit larger than newer properties. Grounds are nicely landscaped, It's about five minutes to the restored area but not as conveniently located to restaurants and shops.

Hilton Garden Inn is what you'd expect from a Hilton which is pretty nice accommodations. It's located on Richmond Rd which is the heart of the hotels and chain restaurants. That is good and bad news. It's about the same distance to the restored area as PP.

The Woodlands is Colonial Wmbg's property and appeals to families. Rooms and suites. It's located at the Conference/Visitors Center and is walking distance to CW. Shuttles around the restored area leave frequently from there as well.

If it were me with your large group, I would opt for a property with a little more room to spread out and also one with some kitchen facilities so you don't have to haul 7 people out for three meals everyday. Of the ones you've listed, I'd choose Powhatan Plantation if I could be certain of a newer unit. Have you looked into Homewood or Fairfield Suites?

we_luv_disney Aug 15th, 2003 07:06 PM

Do you mean Fairfield Kingsgate Suites or Fairfield Patriots Place? Also, what would you personally recommend for our big party.

obxgirl Aug 16th, 2003 06:25 AM

I was referring to Fairfield Patriots Place but the Kingsgate Suites is also a good option (and one I'd forgotten about). Patriot's Place has one and two bedroom units in a wooded setting with a residential feel to the place. Kingsgate Suites has 1, 2 and 3 bedrooms units and is more resort-y. There are more entertainment amenities (indoor/outdoor pool, mini golf, hot tub, tennis, billiards). Kingsgate is located very near a shopping center and some other chain hotels which can be a plus or a minus depending on your POV.

Sounds like either place would work for your family and the choice would depend on your interests. The quality of both properties is equal. If your group is mostly adults who are not likely to swim or play tennis, I'd choose the quieter setting of Patriot's Place. But if you've got kids and/or grownups who'll enjoy the extra entertainment, go for Kingsgate.

I live in Williamsburg. If you have other questions, lemme know.

we_luv_disney Aug 16th, 2003 04:59 PM

Thank you so much for the great advice. Our party is four adults and three kids, ages 6 ,7 , and 2.

we_luv_disney Aug 18th, 2003 06:42 AM

obxgirl
I tried to find the main web site for the Fairfield Patriots Place and Kingsgate to see the price range for accomodations, but cannot find it. Since these are timeshare places, would we have to be members to book a stay there?