Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Accomodations for Washington DC in July 04 for family of 5

Old Feb 17th, 2004, 12:07 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My family of five; ages 12, 19, 23 and Mom and Dad will be vacationing in DC in July 04. We want a place centrally located and close to the metro. Will be doing the "typical" tourist stops. Dupont Circle sounds good especially with the resturants, shops, and some nightlife for the older girls. However, downtown sounds appealing too especially the view from the Adams Hays hotel. Money is not a big issue, but like everyone else if $$'s can be saved we're open to it. Any and all recommendations are welcomed.
Old Feb 17th, 2004, 12:24 PM

Just got back from DC last night....I would recommend the following in no particular order:

JW Marriott (by White House)
Radisson Barcelo
Hamilton Crowne Plaza
Omni Shoreham
Embassy Suites

Also be aware that due to security concerns, some things are not open to the public (such as tours of the White House), however things can change at any time. Also, if you are based in the US, you will want to contact your congressman for passes to tours.
Old Feb 17th, 2004, 01:36 PM
LN

These would be my thoughts (for what they're worth)

Dupont Circle is a good area especially with your children's ages. Downtown is great for sightseeing but kind of rolls the sidewalk up when Washington quits working.

JWMarriott is right off Penn Ave by the National theatre and across the street from the Old Post Office.

Radisson Barcelo is in Dupont Circle and gets some good reviews.

Omni Shoreham is one of Washington's old grand dames - great place but might be a bit stodgy with the younger crowd.

Hay Adams is a great hotel - haven't been there in awhile but the food was always great. It's always been my favorite but then I never get to stay there - I just work in town.

The Willard is also another great DC hotel. Take your choice - look at some of them on the net. Enjoy DC and please don't expect the White House to reopen anytime soon cause it probably won't.
Old Feb 17th, 2004, 02:19 PM

DC is actually a pretty small city geographically, so none of the places you mentioned is bad.

If your goal is to go to see Fireworks, remember that prices will be much higher closer to the Mall and those with a view. Also, getting back to your hotel after fireworks is a mad-house, although quite doable.
Old Feb 17th, 2004, 02:37 PM
Cassandra

I know you said you wanted a centrally located place, but that doesn't necessarily mean it MUST be in the District. You could stay in Rosslyn -- which is the part of Arlington VA near the Iwo Jima Memorial and just over Key Bridge from Georgetown. It's right on a very convenient Metro stop ("Rosslyn") to get you into DC and you can walk to Georgetown (which is otherwise not on any Metro stop). In some ways, it's as convenient or even more so that some of the downtown places, and certainly more convenient that some of the traditional places that seem to attract tourists, such as those around the old Shoreham (forgot what it's called now).

More important, seeing the fireworks from the Iwo Jima memorial is very easy and involves a lot less hassle after the fireworks than dealing with downtown mobs and traffic. There are a couple of "residence" (Marriott Courtyard, etc.) places there as well as the full range from a Hyatt to some more modest places. You can also stay a little further out on the Orange line (there's a Quality Courthouse that's pretty convenient) and still have the convenience. Just a thought.

Old Feb 17th, 2004, 04:17 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to those who have replied thus far. We will not be in for the 4th nor the fireworks so that is not an issue. Love to hear any more suggestions!
Old Feb 18th, 2004, 04:02 AM

I just Pricelined a 2-night stay at the 4-star Omni Shoreham in DuPont Circle for this coming weekend. Got each night for $82/night. I highly recommend going to the website: www.biddingfortravel.com to read up about smart Priceline bidding. It's an excellent and informative website.
Old Feb 18th, 2004, 04:45 AM

I think the Omni Shoreham is too far north of Dupont Circle. The Radisson Barcelo is MUCH better located. As you said: eating/shopping/movies, nightlife and a few subway stops from the tourist sites. If instead, shortest walk to museums/monuments without using metro is your top priority, then JW Marriot or The Willard are your best bets (though considerably more expensive). Personally, I always recommend the RADISSON BARCELO (unless group is mostly toddlers/small children).
Here's a map of neighborhood:
http://www.stationmasters.com/System.../dupontci.html
Old Feb 18th, 2004, 05:37 AM

FYI I stayed at the Omni Shoreham in November. It's a few uphill blocks north from Dupont Circle, but only a block from a Metro station, and there are plenty of restaurants one block north and beyond on Connecticut Ave. Plus the Zoo is a few blocks away. I had a room overlooking the park, and they do have a pool. Might be a bit upscale, but it can be had for less than $150 a night. (I paid $99 and got upgraded to a suite).
Old Feb 18th, 2004, 06:55 AM

missjanna, how did you obtain the $99 rate for the Shoreham? Was it through Priceline or another website?
Old Feb 18th, 2004, 07:51 AM

I got it by calling the Omni #800 number. I think it was a weekend rate, and then for joining their Select Guest program, they send me a 50% off coupon on weekend stays, so in reality I paid $49.50!!
Old Feb 19th, 2004, 09:32 AM

Just returned yesterday where we stayed at the L'Enfant Plaza hotel. (Used Quikbook to get a rate of 88 dollars per night.) Fantastic views from our balcony from the Washington Monument far left, right across to the Capitol on the far right. Great access to all the Smithsonian museums, and with the metro stop below the hotel, had no problems getting out to resteraunts in the evening and for all other sightseeing!
Old Feb 20th, 2004, 07:14 AM
Original Poster

Thanks you everyone for the suggestions! I think we are going to go with the Radisson Barcelo for $89 a night. The locations sounds as if it can't be beat and blocks to the metro is fine. Plus the price is great. Would love to hear any comments about the hotel from anyone who has been ther lately.
Old Feb 21st, 2004, 08:43 AM

My family went to Washington DC during Spring Break of 2001. Little did we know this was perfect timing because all of the things we were able to do, -touring the White House, walking around the Senate offices/Capital leisurely - all changed after Sept 11th.

Anyway, we stayed at the Radisson Barcelo and loved it. The rooms were large and the location wonderful - lots of restaurants, people watching, you can walk to Georgetown. The people at the hotel itself were very friendly and soon knew us by sight. But what was really neat about staying in Dupont Circle was the sense of after sightseeing all day, returning to the Radisson seemed more like "coming home" because the Radisson is in a very vibrant neighborhood. If we ever return to DC, I wouldn't hestitate to stay at the Radisson again.

Have fun on your vacation!
Old Feb 21st, 2004, 09:52 AM

I agree with others posters- JW Marriott is great! We stayed there with my family (big group) and the rooms were fairly big. It's right in the middle of everything. We waled to most attractions...in fact I don't think we even rented a car. (sorry it was like 10 years ago).

One tip for kids- this website (when I think of the name I will post it) sells maps of DC that is kid specific. All the sites on the map are things kids will think are interesting and relate to.

Have fun!
Old Mar 4th, 2004, 04:20 PM
Original Poster

Thanks again for the sugestions. We are looking forward to a fabulous time!