Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Accomodations after a Dodgers nite game (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/accomodations-after-a-dodgers-nite-game-1668315/)

bdlindley Jun 15th, 2019 03:03 PM

Accomodations after a Dodgers nite game

Where would you recommend a family of 5 to stay AFTER a Dodgers PM game? We will stay for post-game fireworks. I'll have a car, but assume public transit is better (T/F?). I'm aware there's not a lot close to Dodgers Stadium. It's more important to me to stay close to our public transit stop. Would like to minimize dragging 3 kids through LA after 11 PM. (No kid requires any child restraint seat.) Looking for a place under $300 we can get to safely and as quickly as possible considering post-game traffic conditions. The day after the game we would most likely be sightseeing in Hollywood or Griffith Park. Thanks for your suggestions.

cmcfong Jun 17th, 2019 05:10 AM

No suggestions just envy you getting to see them play at Dodger stadium. Go Blue��

jamie99 Jun 17th, 2019 01:01 PM

Not my favorite part of LA but Downtown is probably your best bet, you can take the Dodger Express from Union Station and it is also close to Griffith Observatory (closed Mondays) and Park. You can either drive or take Metro to Hollywood, plenty of parking at the Hollywood and Highland mall near the Walk of Fame. Most of the Hollywood stuff only takes 1-2 hours to see BTW.

clarkgriswold Jun 17th, 2019 03:18 PM

There's a Super 8 that's not bad for just a one-nighter, and walking distance to the stadium. You'd be walking with lots of other locals. There's also the Metro Plaza Hotel which is across the street from Union Station (the Dodger Shuttle buses leave from Union Station).

I don't know if either hotel allows an "extra bed" for a 5th person in the room. L.A has some strict fire regulations and most hotels with indoor corridors cannot have more persons than the fire code allows.

Anything near a metro red line stop will get you to Union Station so you options are pretty open if you can find something that sleeps 5. From what direction will you be driving into L.A. and then driving out of L.A? Weekday or weekend?

bdlindley Jun 17th, 2019 06:32 PM

We are driving in from San Diego (Wednesday). We are driving out on Friday, north on I5 towards Sequoia Ntl Park. How long on Friday until "rush hour" has diminished and we could leave town with minimal delay?

We have 5, but can easily sleep in 2 queens. We will not require an extra bed. Will we have problems bunking 5 in 2 doubles in LA? Will the hotels give us grief over that? Everywhere else we've ever stayed they don't say a word. But we've never brought the family to CA.

bdlindley Jun 17th, 2019 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by cmcfong (Post 16937942)
No suggestions just envy you getting to see them play at Dodger stadium. Go Blue��

:) Crossing an item off my bucket list!

janisj Jun 17th, 2019 07:09 PM

>>out on Friday, north on I5 towards Sequoia Ntl Park.<<

Fridays are a special case since it is 'rush hour" basically all day. People leaving for a long weaken start clogging the roads In the early afternoon. So I'd get on the road between 10:30 AND 11AM

Jean Jun 17th, 2019 07:59 PM

The OP's dates mean "rush hour" patterns really wouldn't apply to that Friday (July 5th). It will be a 4-day weekend, and the majority of people won't be commuting to work that day. The worst travel days will be Wednesday, Thursday and Sunday.

Likewise, the drive up from San Diego on Wednesday will very likely take longer than usual.

If you stayed in Glendale or DTLA, you'd be on the I-5 in a couple of minutes. But there will be a July 4th block party in DTLA's Grand Park. I don't know what this will do to traffic in the area, but it can only make it worse. (Sorry.)

https://www.downtownla.com/calendar/...ly-block-party

bclindley, were you really planning to spend a few hours sightseeing in L.A. on Friday before driving to Sequoia N.P.? That will be a long day...

janisj Jun 17th, 2019 09:09 PM

Oh -- I didn't realize it was July 5. Hard to keep track of all the details of this saga). For a Friday -- you couldn't pick a better one than July 5 . . .

Jean Jun 18th, 2019 04:44 PM

Well, it's all relative. Traffic leaving L.A. could be light, but there could be a line of cars waiting to get into Sequoia and Kings Canyon.

https://www.nps.gov/seki/planyourvisit/traffic.htm

cmcfong Jun 19th, 2019 01:55 AM

It would have been fun to be in Dodger stadium last night! Kershaw pitched a gem and Kike got a grand slam. I hope they are on fire the night you see them.

J62 Jun 19th, 2019 04:11 AM

Around these parts we calls 'em dem bums.

bdlindley Jun 19th, 2019 06:34 PM

Jean, that's helpful info re:SNP. We'll adjust our plans that day, as we would be unable to enter the park early and would be following the crowd instead of beating it. We were planning either to sightseeing in LA Friday AM OR drive to SNP. Hearing that LA traffic will be as good as could be for a Friday while SNP will be extra-bad helps make that decision!