Notices

accomodation near Mt. Rushmore

Jul 9th, 2013, 09:42 AM
Original Poster

accomodation near Mt. Rushmore

My family and I are staying at the Chief Motel in Custer while we tour the surrounding areas. Is this a good central location to see not only Mt. Rushmore, but also the Badlands and Deadwood? Would it be better to change locations?

Thanks for any input.
Aug 18th, 2013, 11:39 AM

I have the same question - where to stay Custer, Keystone, Hill City or Rapid City? We are going the second week of September.
Aug 18th, 2013, 11:54 AM

I would rule out Rapid City because it's a 30-minute drive or more to any of the sights in the Black Hills. It's got some nice attractions, but it's not a scenic location such as Hill City or Custer.

Hill City and Keystone are a bit more centrally-located than Custer, but we stayed in Custer this summer and it worked out great for us, especially since most of our activities were centered around Custer State Park.

Depending on the number of days you are staying and your itinerary (are you driving from your home state?), it could make sense to overnight in the Badlands or Deadwood. But they can also be done as day trips from Custer (1.25 hours to Deadwood, 1. 75 hours to the Badlands). We drove through Deadwood on our way back from Devil's Tower. (We didn't find enough to see/do in Deadwood that warranted a full day trip). We overnighted in the Badlands because there was a lot there we wanted to see and do--hiking, evening programs and the Minuteman Missile Site.
Aug 18th, 2013, 12:52 PM

I'd recommend Hill City.

Search this Thread