Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Accommodations in Lafayette, Baton Rouge, Houma & NO (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/accommodations-in-lafayette-baton-rouge-houma-and-no-390344/)

thumbsup123 Jan 22nd, 2004 05:20 AM

Accommodations in Lafayette, Baton Rouge, Houma & NO

I don?t know what happened to jumble my last posting so I?ll try again?
Hey, We are two senior women planning to drive from Florida to Louisiana. We have traveled to New Orleans and had a great time. This trip, we would like to visit plantations and Cajun country. From reading past posts, we put together the following itinerary: Florida to Baton Rouge (4 nights); to Lafayette (4 nights); to Houma (1 night); to New Orleans (4 nights) and home. The help we need from you, in addition to any suggestions you may have, is to help us find inexpensive but safe hotels/motels. We only need a motel for sleeping and to be in a good location to travel/drive to attractions.
In Baton Rouge, we were thinking of the Comfort Inn ?2445 S Acadian Thruway
In Lafayette, the Comfort Inn-1421 SE Evangeline Thruway
In Houma, we haven?t a clue----
In New Orleans, we know we will be spending more than we want to but we want a good location that is in a safe neighborhood and that we will be able to either walk to attractions or be near the trolley?Thanks in advance for your time and help, Carol Sue

memejw Jan 22nd, 2004 05:37 AM

Hey thumbsup!
I like the Comfort Inn in Lafayette. Its also right off of the Interstate. What are you wanting to see in/around Houma? You may consider staying in Thibodeaux.
I have lived in Houma and am currently in Lafayette. I will be glad to check on anything for you.

DownSouth Jan 22nd, 2004 07:22 AM

I live in Baton Rouge and will be happy to checkout the Comfort Inn on Acadian Thruway. We usually recommend Richmond Suites on Hilton Avenue (off Corporate Blvd.) - newer, safer location, and rate includes fully cooked to order hot breakfast. We also have some great restaurants (casual or more formal?)and we have a wonderful exhibit at the Louisiana Arts and Science Museum from France on Josephine (only stop in America). It does end in early Feb. What are your travel dates?

For New Orleans, check out Hampton Inn/Suites. There are several. Friends stayed last spring in the one across from the Convention Center - it was in a restored cotton warehouse - fabulous but it is probably an 8 block walk to the Quarter. There is another one located on St. Charles Avenue (Uptown -near the Garden District) - probably in the 4000 block near Napoleon Ave. - Street car runs out front. Hope this info. helps.

laurieb_nyny Jan 22nd, 2004 08:20 AM

New Orleans: The Chateau Motor Hotel (1001 Chartres Street at St. Phillip)

Plantations: Laura & Oak Alley

Swamp Tour: Cajun Pride on the Manchac Swamp (located near the Plantations).

laurieb_nyny Jan 22nd, 2004 08:42 AM

I forgot to mention that the Chateau has free parking!

MzPossum Jan 22nd, 2004 10:36 AM

Another vote for the Laura and Oak Alley plantations. They are nearby each other and show different styles of plantation life. For succulent fried shrimp, plan lunch at Hymel's, which is on the river road that takes you to the Laura and Oak Alley plantations. Hymel's is in the community of Convent--you'll pass it as you head back toward Baton Rouge on the River Road. For swamp tours, my choice would be Alligator Bayou; far south Baton Rouge area.

Susanz Jan 23rd, 2004 05:19 AM

I agree that the plantations to see are Laura and Oak Alley. Outside of Houma off 90 to the west is the small town of Gibson. There is located Wildlife Gardens where you can stay in a cabin located in a bayou. The complex was created by James Provost, now deceased, and currently operated by his wife, Betty. It is perfectly safe and a unique experience. See their website for more info.

Wayne Jan 23rd, 2004 05:32 AM

I'm not sure why you have picked the specific destinations you have named, but there are many better places to experience the Cajun country. If you want some more suggestions, let me know. Also since I grew up in that area of Louisiana, I can suggest a slightly different option for your stay in New Orleans. IF you don't mind the 26 mile drive across the Pontchartrain bridge, you might consider staying in Mandeville, Madisonville, or Covington. They are nice places, very safe, and lodging is less costly. Toll on the bridge is $2.00 as I recall.

Another choice for staying in New Orleans is a place I have stayed recently, on Esplanade Avenue about a 5 minute drive or taxi ride from the French Quarter. It's called Ashton's B&B, in an old plantation style home with 15 foot ceilings, lovely furnishings, and incredible gourmet breakfasts by Patrick Ashton, the owner. Usually his rooms (which have private baths) go for around $120 a night. He also can give you great advice about places to go and to see. I would personally not advise the swamp tours unless you've never seen a swamp or an alligator before. Good luck.

Wayne Jan 23rd, 2004 05:33 AM

I forgot to mention that Ashton's has a website, but I don't know the address. It would be easy to find. He also has private parking on the grounds, which is a rarity in N.O.

thumbsup123 Jan 26th, 2004 07:59 AM

Thank you guys for your responses. We have decided to stay at the Comfort Inn in Lafayette. We were planning to go to Houma primarily to go on a swamp tour, but have decided to go straight to new Orleans after our stopover in Lafayette and do a swamp tour from Baton Rouge. Any suggestions as to which tour? If there is a better one using Lafayette as a base, please let us know. We have been given negative feedback about the Comfort Inn in Baton Rouge on Acadian Thruway. Is anyone familiar with the Comfort Suites at 3045 Valley Creek Road? Still deciding on hotel in New Orleans.
We haven?t overlooked your offer for further help, we want to set up the accommodations first.
Thanks again for you tine and advice, Carol Sue

Bird Jan 26th, 2004 11:33 AM

The Springhill Suites in Baton Rouge was a nice place to stay. It is on Essen Lane right off the interstate. If you have used Priceline before you can usually get good rates at the Sheraton that is right by the river in downtown. If you do stay downtown, be sure to have a pizza at the Past Time lounge.

I'd recommend that you go to the state capital for a visit. The view from the top is incredible. You can also visit the site in the capital building where Huey Long was gunned down.

Not sure that I would stay four nights in Baton Rouge when there is so much more to see in NOLA. Nothing against BR - I used to live there - but it doesn't compare to NO. You might want to drive up to Natchez, MS for a day or two or drive over to Biloxi, MS for a while. Hope this helps.

AnneO Jan 29th, 2004 07:35 PM

I have stayed at the Comfort Inn on Acadian Thruway many times...never a problem. It's a basic Comfort Inn....clean, safe and cheap!

I agree that 4 nights in BR is way too much. I certainly wouldn't do a swamp tour from there...Houma or NO is a better choice for that.

I disagree with the comment about staying on the Northshore instead of in NO. Yes, the toll is only $3, but in rush hour traffic, it is at least an hour's drive into the city, then you have to pay to park. (Outside of rush hour, it is about 45 minutes). That's if you are in Mandeville...Covington is 10-15 minutes farther.
Carol Sue,
In NO, Hampton on Carondelet is a good bet (as someone mentioned), as is the Holiday Inn Express (just across the street). Several people have posted that they got the Hotel Monaco (which is very nice) for $75/night on Priceline.

One last comment...I'd pick Thibodaux instead of Houma too...very pretty little town. The Holiday Inn there is perfectly fine.

Enjoy your trip!

Anne