Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Accommodation in San Diego (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/accommodation-in-san-diego-723233/)

kristie123 Jul 23rd, 2007 01:40 PM

Accommodation in San Diego

Me and my partner (both mid 20's) are coming to Cali in Sept next year and would love some opinions on hotels / motels in San Diego. We would like to either be near the beach or in touristy areas.
Looking at spending approx $150 per night.
We will have a rental car so getting to sea world or other tourist spots wont be a problem.
Neither of us have ever been to the states so any help would be great. Thanks.

stumpworks73 Jul 23rd, 2007 02:56 PM

As you are off peak season, you might be able to get a great rate. Try the Marriott Harbor location and see how you do. One of Marriott's best properties with a fantastic view, pool and easy walking distance to the gaslight district.

stumpworks73 Jul 23rd, 2007 02:57 PM

Check Orbitz for locations on Coronado Island. Likewise off season you should get great rates and these are wonderful places to stay.

nanabee Jul 23rd, 2007 02:59 PM

A nice hotel in downtown La Jolla (San Diego) overlooking the ocean is
La Jolla Cove Suites (1155 Coast Blvd). They have rooms around $150 with AAA membership.

Another popular hotel is The Grande Colonial La Jolla (910 Prospect) a short walk to the ocean. You would have to ask for room with the rate you want - they do have a few smaller rooms at $150.

You might get better rates starting in October.

hpeabody Jul 23rd, 2007 03:53 PM

I recently visited San Diego and was very happy with my accommodations at the Courtyard by Marriott, Old Town. It's close to freeway in a kind of residential area. It was a very nice walk into the main part of Old Town, a popular touristy area. I do think it will come in within your budget. Parking is available on the street, but the hotel has parking for a charge also.

TahitiTams Jul 23rd, 2007 06:24 PM

Hey kristie..
I would stay at the beach areas of SD..
Pacific Beach/Mission Beach would probably work for you and September is gorgeous here and prices will come down a little..
Try either the Bahia Hotel or the Catamaran Hotel..
La Jolla Shores Hotel is an oceanfront and possibly could go for $150 in September..
Hotel La Jolla will be around $150 too..LJ Cove would be another option.
Have a great time in San Diego!

sandiego.org
hotellajolla.com
ljshoreshotel.com
bahiahotel.com

kristie123 Jul 23rd, 2007 06:48 PM

if we stayed in coronado island is it still pretty central to be able to walk places eg restaurants or shopping ???

nanabee Jul 23rd, 2007 06:55 PM

yes kristie from coronado (which is across the bay from san diego) you jump on the bridge which connects to san diego and you are within 5 minutes to downtown san diego or the san diego zoo, etc.

the town of coronado is delightful. it has nice restaurants, shops, parks, and one of the top 10 beaches in the US.

TahitiTams Jul 23rd, 2007 06:59 PM

Coronado is lovely but being you are in your mid 20's and hotels will be over $200+..IMO, I think you will be better served in the PB/MB or LJ area..
Gaslamp area in downtown SD will work for you as well..
Great clubs/restaurants..

gaslamp.org

kristie123 Jul 23rd, 2007 07:46 PM

does anyone know what the old town inn is like ???? or even best western coronado???? ive been looking on so many sites for accommodation and all of them are so expensive. if any one has any good idea on cheaper (but still decent) places to stay please let me know.

kristie123 Jul 23rd, 2007 08:08 PM

or what about gaslamp plaza suites ???

TahitiTams Jul 23rd, 2007 08:10 PM

Don't do it..those motels are gross!
Try Expedia and see what you get for the price..

expedia.com

paula1470 Jul 23rd, 2007 09:21 PM

kristie123-Are you coming to San Diego in 2008? That is probably why you are having problems finding a room as many hotels aren't booking out that far in advance. TahitiTams-I checked expedia, the furthest out you can go with them right now is June or July of 2008.

I love Coronado but it is expensive. I put in Sept of this year on expedia just to check prices. The Glorietta Bay Inn was going for $175 which is a good deal.

kristie123 Jul 23rd, 2007 10:13 PM

yes we are coming over in Sept 2008 but i have been putting sept 2007 dates in just to see what we could get.
I would like to book say 6 months out do you think expedia will have deals that far in advance ???
also im a litle unsure if i want to book over the net or do it through an agent. i know i can get better deals over the net but is it trustworthy ???

stumpworks73 Jul 24th, 2007 04:43 AM

I do not like the Old Town area. It's an outdated tourist attraction that rarely draws a crowd. Concentrate on being waterside.

nanabee Jul 24th, 2007 07:37 AM

I agree I would stay in the beach area. Mission Bay is a nice area also.
I mentioned two hotels in La Jolla in your price range - did they not check out for you?

paula1470 Jul 24th, 2007 08:35 AM

Well I book all my hotel rooms over the net and have never had a problem. Make sure they e-mail you a confirmation number. And then I always call a few days before to confirm the reservation.

I use Expedia only as a tool to compare prices, see photos, etc. If you book through Expedia or some of the other travel sites, you have to prepay your hotel visit. Also, you can often get better prices by going directly to the website. So use Expedia, Orbitz, etc for research and then contact the hotel directly through their own website.

lcuy Jul 24th, 2007 09:12 AM

Glorietta Inn is very nice, and $175 is a great price for September. You don't have to break teh bank to stay in Coronado. Other options:
The Coronado Inn. I stay here as it is very reasonable (usually $99-$1120) and nothing in Coronado is more than a 15 minute walk away. Older motel, rooms are basic but clean, includes cont breakfast. Has a pool & bbqs. Ask for a room not on third street.)
Capri-by the Sea- a classic 6o's motel up near the Hotel Del that is now advertising itself as a boutique hotel,

El Cordova- right in the thick of things across from the Hotel Del. The rooms are hacienda style behind building with the shops in front. Very reasonable prices.