Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Accommodation in Chicago (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/accommodation-in-chicago-858591/)

mame Sep 9th, 2010 05:25 AM

Accommodation in Chicago

Help!! Looking to rent a VRBO in Chicago but not sure of a good area. Would like to be close to public transportation if we can't get walking distance to attractions. Also, need to be at Soldier Field for an NFL game so once again location would be important. A three bedroom place would suit our needs best. Any ideas would be great appreciated.

exiledprincess Sep 9th, 2010 07:04 AM

mame, for your own sake, it's a really good idea to first take a look at a map of Chicago to see where the attractions you wish to visit are located. Chicago is a very large city and you will most likely be traveling a distance to some of them.

If you are uncertain where to find such a map, and since you will be probably using public transporation anyway, I suggest that you go to the CTA's website. Click on the maps hyperlink, and you will see the various areas of the city, set off in blocks. You would probably be most interested in "Downtown System Map", but it might be others, if you are interested in visiting Wrigley Field or the Museum of Science and Industry, for example.

Now, that being said, there is quite a bit of controversy about these types of "vacation rentals" in the city of Chicago. I'm sure that if you do just a little search, you'll find quite a few articles about this issue. For the time being, though, if you find information on a particular place of this nature from some source, I **strongly** suggest that you call the *BUILDING'S* management company or the condominium association board to see if this type of occupancy is even allowed at that location. The owner of the property should be easily able to give you this information. Make sure, though, that it is in the *BUILDING'S* management and not the owner's.

mame Sep 10th, 2010 07:00 AM

Thanks for the valuable info exiledprincess. Didn't even think of calling the Building management. I have never rented this way before. I am a VRBO virgin!

exiledprincess Sep 10th, 2010 07:23 AM

Perhaps I was unclear above. The reason why I suggest that you call the building's management or the condominium association board is to determine if the "vacation rental" unit can even be legally rented to individuals in that manner.

The condominium association's by-laws or the lease which the unitowner may have with the building owner may specifically prohibit this type of use.

As I mentioned above and in a previous post, there is quite a bit of controversy about these in the city of Chicago. What legislation will eventually be passed to regulate them, and the extent of it, remains to be seen. But I anticipate something will happen.

Buyer beware.

exiledprincess Sep 10th, 2010 07:40 AM

Just something else to consider: You might get more than you bargained for in trying to save a few bucks. Chicago is rated #5 in the nation with respect to bedbug infestation.

Although there are no guarantees anywhere - even if you are paying megabucks for a 5* hotel - you need to be mindful of this fact. Think about it.