Acadia NP, Vermont, NH, Boston & NY in 9 days

Old Jun 15th, 2004, 07:29 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Acadia NP, Vermont, NH, Boston & NY in 9 days

We're planning to visit Acadia NP (1 nt), Bar Harbor(2 nt), Vermont(1 nt), Boston (2 nt)& NY(2 nt) in 9 days, flying in from LAX, out JFK.

1. Will this be too hectic? We always stay a night or two at each place and have been to NY before. We don't mind checking-in/out of hotels.
2. What is the best way to cover these places?
3. And how long does it take to drive between these places (hours)?
4. What is the best/most scenic route?
5. Major highlights? What are the alternatives to these destinations?

Thank you so much! Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old Jun 15th, 2004, 07:33 PM
Original Poster

Going in beginning of October. Flying into Bangor (is this closest to Acadia?)
Or should I concentrate on other areas of Maine (Boothbay Harbor, Camden, Kennebunkport...?) instead of Acadia? Should we skip Acadia????
Love to see fall foliage, scenery, and wildlife if possible. Thanks.
Old Jun 15th, 2004, 08:48 PM

Yes, Bangor is the closest airport with regular scheduled air service to Acadia National Park; and no, you shouldn't skip it.

And Bar Harbor is the place to stay when visiting Acadia NP. And you don't really need to stay there for 3 nights total. 2 nights is okay. Then you can just drive down the coast on US1 towards Boston.

Vermont is totally out of the way. If you want to see some mountains, you can detour away from the coast to the White Mountain regions of NH, but not VT - way too far west for your trip.
Old Jun 16th, 2004, 02:45 AM

I agree, the trip is feasible only if you drop Vermont.

Try Mapquest for time-and-distance estimates, keeping in mind that their time estimates are based on speed limits, not the realities of driving in foliage country at the height of the season.
Old Jun 16th, 2004, 03:29 AM

Skip Vermont. The drive from Bar Harbor/Acadia will take most of a day - so by the time you arrive in Bangor, drive to Bar Harbor (1 night) it will be late in the day. If you stay 2 more nights there you will only actually spend 2 days in the area.

How about this. Bar Harbor (3 nights)
Drive to Boston, stay 3 nights
Fly/train/bus to NYC - stay rest of time there.

The problem with your trip is that the driving time will eat up a portion of your trip. Merely driving through NH, VT would not be worth the limited amount of time you have.

Even though you have been to NY before, by the time you get there and depending on your flight schedule out, it is really only a day and a half there.

I would seek most direct rather than scenic route between these 3 stops - with perhaps a detour to do some driving along coastal route in Southern Maine - stop and eat a lobster.
Old Jun 16th, 2004, 04:59 AM

I agree with the previous posters, this is too much ground to cover for 9 days, but skipping Vermont should do it. I like Vermont, but Acadia is at the top of my list in New England.
Old Jun 16th, 2004, 05:01 AM

If your objectives are "fall foliage, scenery, and wildlife," why are you spending half your time in cities, one of which you've visited before?
With those requirements, I'd fly into Bangor and out of Manchester, NH, with a detour into Boston.
For a less "natural" adventure, I'd fly into Portland, Maine and travel the coast departing from Newport, RI, with a detour to North Conway, NH for mountains and shopping!

Old Jun 16th, 2004, 11:01 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the good tips! My husband is a city person (i.e NY again). We have friends in Boston (i.e 2 nights in Boston). We drop Vermont and perhaps go to White Mountain in NH instead of Acadia?
I thought Bar Harbor was only 1 1/2 hr to Acadia? Maybe I got confused with somewhere else??
Old Jun 16th, 2004, 11:05 AM

You need a map!

Bar Harbor is surrounded by Acadia. No way on the 1.5 hrs.!
Old Jun 16th, 2004, 12:20 PM

Definitely head to the Green Mountains of Vermont or White Mountains of New Hampshire if you want to see glorious foliage.

There will be little fall foliage in Bar Harbor/Acadia as there are few trees (compared to the mountains) and colors come last near water.

Or, you could head to the Berkshires in Western MA on your way to NYC, or take a detour through upstate New York.
Old Jun 16th, 2004, 12:40 PM

Hi again!
Bar Harbor and Acadia are right together... that's one trip. Perhaps you could try to talk your husband out of NYC; there's plenty of "city" in Boston! ie., fine dining, museums, theatre, shopping... How about something like this:
Day 1: Fly into Bangor and drive to BH; check into 1 place for 2 nights
Day 2: Day trip to Acadia, back to hotel in BH
Day 3: Depart for Camden,Maine. Spend one night.
Day 4 & 5: Depart for White Mountains, NH. Spend 2 nights somewhere around Jackson/No. Conway.
Day 6: Depart for Portland or K-port. Spend one night in either Ogunquit, Maine or Portsmouth, NH.
Day 7: Drive to Boston for 2 nights.
Day 8: Could be a day trip to Cape Cod, Salem for all the Halloween activities, Newport, RI or elsewhere with your friends.
Day 9: Depart.
It is hectic, but at least it alternates one and two nighters, and would cover your most important goals. I don't see how you could get all the way down to NYC and still take scenic routes to see foliage.
Another couple points: Foliage in northern Maine is past-peak by mid-Oct. Hotels in the mountains during foliage season will be hard to find. You must have reservations.
Good Luck!

Old Jun 16th, 2004, 08:24 PM
Original Poster

The reason my husband wanted to go to NY again is to visit ground zero after 9/11. We were there in May that 2001.
Our new itineary are as follows:
1. LAX-Bangor
2. Bar Harbor (visit Acadia, 2 nights)
3. White Mountains (1 night)
4. Ogonquit (1 night)
5. Boston (2 nights)
6. NY (2 nights)

Thanks everyone!