Acadia NP and Monhegan in Maine

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11th, 2006, 06:09 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will be traveling with my husband and another couple for 5 days/nights. Flying into/out of Bangor. Flight leaves 7:30AM back to home on 6th day. Having trouble deciding on where to stay. Bar Harbor or Southwest for 3 nights. Then, is Monhegan Is. a must see. I was thinking of taking the ferry there for a night. First day, when we get there we are chartering a sailboat and getting out for about 3-6 hours...depending on the weather. We also plan on doing the Sunrise Bike down Cadillac. And of course a full day hike in Acadia.
We are more active than not- however enjoy a good pub and grub even bordering on high end.
Thinking about the Harborside Hotel and Marina in Bar Harbor or the Lindenwood or Claremont in Southwest..
We were originally thinking heading up to St. Andrews and then back down to BH but too much space and too little time. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.
Old Apr 11th, 2006, 06:23 AM

We had a wonderful stay at the Bar Harbor Manor. THe whale watching excursion with the catamaran is great too.Paul
Old Apr 11th, 2006, 06:55 AM

Since you only have 5 days, and you're "active", I'd really recommend NOT wasting time traveling around.

We have no trouble filling up a week in Acadia hiking, biking, and kyaking. Then having a great dinner at one of the many good restaurants in Bar Harbor.

~Liz
Old Apr 13th, 2006, 10:53 AM
Original Poster

thanks for all the advice..we are staying in s/w harbor at the harbor cottage inn for 2 nights then, heading down to camden for a night then, to the goose cove lodge & then to castine staying ??? and then home.
any advice on lodging in castine or restaurants not to be missed.
Old Nov 28th, 2008, 12:10 PM

There are many great things to do in Bar Harbor and Acadia. I will give a short list of must do's.
Hike up a few mountains in the park. our favorites are Dorr and Beehive which has a small lake, the bowl, at its summit.
Try some of the many great restaurants. Our favorites are Eden Vegetarian Cafe (207) 288-4422, we never knew vegetarian food could taste so amazing, and Cafe This Way. Best to call for reservations.
Go sea kayaking. We have been out with three different tour outfitters/guide services and by far our favorite was Acadia Park Kayak Tours (207) 266-1689. They have much smaller groups than anyone else and the guide was unbelievably knowledgeable about the ecology and history of the area. Best to call ahead for reservations.

Old Nov 28th, 2008, 01:42 PM

nice of you to register to post the same ad four times on old posts, acadialover. Which of these businesses are YOU involved with?