Search

Acadia National Park & Campobello Island - Short Trip Report

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26th, 2007, 06:04 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Acadia National Park & Campobello Island - Short Trip Report

Hello,
We just returned from a fabulous week in Acadia National Park & Campobello Island. Will give a short trip report.

On Mt. Desert Island, we stayed at the Inn at Southwest in Southwest Harbor, which is smaller & quieter than Bar Harbor. The Inn is a very pretty Victorian house; we had the smallest room in the inn (only one available). The rate is $135 plus tax with a delicious gourmet breakfast.

Went on several hikes & took the cruise around Frenchman's Bay on the Margaret Todd, a 4-masted schooner. Visited other towns, such as Northeast Harbor & Bass Harbor. Also visited the Schoodic Peninsula, which is absolutely beautiful & quieter than MDI.

Restaurants: Thurston's Lobster Pound, Lobster Pound by the bridge to MDI (in Tremont, I think) Tan Turtle Tavern in Northeast Harbor & Terrace at BAr Harbor Inn.

Then we drove north to Whiting, Maine, where we stayed at the Whiting Bay B & B, which is about 10 minutes from Campobello Island. We stayed in the Lighthouse Unit, huge bedroom, kitchenette, sitting area & private deck for $125 per night.

Visited Roosevelt Cottage & East Quoddy Lighthouse. Bought delicious home-made chocolates at Monica's Chocolates in Lubec. Had dinner at Artists Cafe in Machias.

Next day we drove to St. Andrews by the Sea, in NB; went on a whale watch on a tall ship & saw whales, porpoises & seals. had dinner at Gables Restaurant in St. Andrews.

On our way home today, we stopped at Estes Lobster House in Harpswell for our last lobster dinner by the sea. Delicious!!

It was fun seeing northern Maine & driving along Rt 1. We have never driven that far north before & it is very different; more rural & less crowded.

If anyone has any questions, I will try to answer.
karen
Old Aug 26th, 2007, 06:14 PM
kealalani

Thanks for the wonderful report. It has been far too long since my last visit to Acadia! I used to go for Columbus day weekend in college. We would camp, freeze our akahine off around the fire by night and hike in tshirts by day.......

Thanks for the reminder, it's time to head north!

Old Aug 27th, 2007, 10:53 AM

Thank you for the trip report. Acadia is one of my favorite spots, especially the Schoodic Pennisula. We've gone there 2 years in a row now and will probably go again next year. So beautiful.
Old Aug 27th, 2007, 04:10 PM
yk

We were in MDI last summer, and also took the cruise on Margaret Todd. We did the sunset cruise which was wonderful, though quite chilly...
Old Aug 27th, 2007, 04:23 PM

I'm bookmarking this for future reference.

Would you recommend all the lodges and restaurants you visited? Do any stand out?
Old Aug 28th, 2007, 10:23 AM
Original Poster

Hi Hershey,
I definitely recommend both lodgings we stayed at.

Regarding restaurants, we enjoyed all of them except my husband did not like his haddock dinner at Gables in St. Andrews. He thinks the fish was frozen, not fresh. I enjoyed my fried clam dinner. We especially enjoyed Thurstons Lobster Pound, the Lobster Pound by the bridge to MDI (in Tremont, I think) and the Tan Turtle Tavern in Northeast Harbor. I think Thurstons is in Bernard, down by Bass Harbor.

We also ate at Top of the Hill in Southwest Harbor but I was not impressed with my meal, too much breading/stuffing on the fish.

Hope this helps.
Old Sep 1st, 2007, 01:52 PM

Thanks, Kwoo.